1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yep from only BoB defenders like mr. Scarface, who rn says he hate the hc, but when season starts he is always first in line to ride the BoB train. The rest of us r pretty jaded and quite sick of this shtty coach.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He’s not coaching us to anything. Deshaun is out there ad libbing the hell out of this, collecting his teammates in the huddle and going “ignore that noise, I’ll throw you open.” Varsity Blues style. If you want to see some of BOB’s “coaching”, look at the defense.

3. fattz

fattz Member

This is what most see and believe; myself included.

4. AstrosRockets1818

The DeAndre Hopkins trade looks worse and worse for Bill O'Brien with each passing day. The Texans could have had Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon (for cheaper than David Johnson) AND kept DeAndre Hopkins.

How has Bill O'Brien not been fired yet?

Like seriously. I wish I could run into him in public this summer.

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

it has been shown repeatedly that (1) is highly variable year to year - it is more a matter of luck than skill

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He at least needs to be physically punched in the face.

juanm34 likes this.
  7. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Backpfeifengesicht.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

No doubt. I didn't want to say "luck" because some would've argued against it.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

If it's true this was the best trade offered then that just means other GMs have no respect for BOB and his negotiation skills so they know he'll cave. Same when BOB is trying to acquire a top end player. Miami probably asked for 3 first rounders for Tunsil and BOB thought he was a master negotiator to get them down to 2.

awc713 likes this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd be afraid of getting my hand stuck in his chin.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Here's what I don't get...let's hypothetically say ARI had the best offer. Why not just...NOT trade him until the offers improve? Why ship him out right now for a bottom dollar amount? Nuk is not sitting for 3 years. Even if he actually sat games in-season...we could've got more value than what we got.

That's the fireable offense IMO. It's not that we traded Nuk (which is bad enough), it's that BOB got completely played by himself. He didn't have to trade Nuk in March 3 years before his deal expired. This deal amplifies BOB's insecurities and inability to manage. The fact that everyone in the FO signed off on this is why I'm done with the organization. It's not just a BOB problem, unfortunately. It's starts with the top, Cal. Firing BOB won't fix it...Texans are a lost cause. I'd honestly rather be the Lions at this point.

joshuaao, Hey Now!, msn and 4 others like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Saturday afternoon news dump.

We signed a bunch of guys and oh yeah, traded Hopkins.

**** YOU CAL
    **** YOU BILL

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/23/tampa-bay-buccaneers-scout-tom-brady-diggs-hopkins-trades

WHY THE TEXANS HAD TO TRADE HOPKINS

Let me start here: I get the shock over the Texans’ return for DeAndre Hopkins. The Texans got a 2, took on David Johnson and his contract, and swapped 4s with the Cardinals, and Arizona walked away with a player who’s been first-team All-Pro three years running. And that doesn’t seem like much when you consider that Diggs and Odell Beckham fetched first-round picks, plus additional draft capital, and Brandin Cooks twice was traded for a 1.

But all that ignores the rest of the story, which explains why Houston couldn’t get more for a player of Hopkins’s caliber. So here’s that…

• Hopkins wasn’t looking for an extension; he was looking for a raise on his existing contract, which has three years left on it. And word other teams had gotten was that he wanted around what Julio Jones got, more than $20 million per year. If you’re the team trading him, that makes it exponentially more difficult to move even a star player—Antonio Brown would be Exhibit A there. Last year, the trade market for Brown crashed when it became clear he wanted a similar adjustment to what Hopkins is asking for. Brown wound up getting it. The $39 million he had left over the three remaining years of his contract was bumped to about $50 million, and that happened without any years being added to the deal. Which is why the Raiders were able to get him for a third- and fifth-round pick. Very few other teams were willing to do what they did.

• There was friction with Hopkins inside the organization, and really it had everything to do with Monday-to-Saturday. On Sundays, he was exemplary. The rest of the week, his practice habits (he didn’t practice much at all) became a problem, and because he was such a big star he had the ability to carry teammates in the wrong direction—guys who might not be able to turn it on come game day as easily as he could. And that was, if not easy, manageable. That said, it’s one thing to keep a guy who may not totally align with the program on an existing contract. It’s another to reward him with a new contract with three years left on that deal, and have to handle the message it sends to the locker room. And those intangible elements, by the way, are central to how EVP Jack Easterby is trying to help O’Brien rework the organization.

• The Texans have big contracts coming up. Deshaun Watson will eventually get paid, whether it’s this offseason or next. And if he’s not signed before Patrick Mahomes, then Houston will likely be negotiating with him at astronomical numbers, even compared to where the top of the QB market is now. Laremy Tunsil’s another big-box deal the team is working on, and an adjustment to Hopkins’s deal (Hopkins likely wasn’t showing up without one) would likely be considered in those negotiations, which will almost certainly make Tunsil the NFL’s highest-paid offensive lineman. And then there are others, like linebacker Zach Cunningham and (if healthy) receiver Will Fuller that the team needed flexibility to take care of.

• There’s also the argument over the value of a top receiver vs. other positions, and it’s worth noting that Sean Payton and Bill Belichick both traded away Brandin Cooks, the Steelers dealt Brown and the Giants probably aren’t looking back at the Odell Beckham trade with much regret. Receiver trades get a lot of attention because it’s much easier to judge how good they are versus, say, a left tackle or a pass-rusher. And usually the team shipping the receiver out gets grief—the Giants and Steelers sure did last year. The truth? The truth is it’s much easier to draw a correlation between winning and investment in the lines of scrimmage than between winning and having a great No. 1 receiver.

Now, all of this said, this might wind up being a disaster for Texans. I don’t know one way or the other. I’d just reason that the conventional wisdom being thrown around about the trade is more than a little shaky, given the conditions in place, and how big-time receiver deals have gone in the past.

And I’d say all that thinking that having Hopkins should great for Kyler Murray, and Kliff Kingsbury should be a better fit for Hopkins as a coach. I’m told this deal came out of the blue for the Cardinals; they didn’t even discuss it in Indy, and it’s a good gamble for them. Arizona’s just entering the window it has to spend with a quarterback on an affordable rookie contract, and the idea of Hopkins running through the secondary on scramble plays with Murray holding the trigger is a scary one, for sure.

But if we’re calling this what it is, then the whole picture should be taken into account.

So what’s next for Houston? What’s next is Watson firmly in place as the face of the offense, a role that I’d tell you the Texans are pretty comfortable with.

UTSA2step and mikol13 like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/1689707/202...wards-from-the-first-wave-of-nfl-free-agency/

Best move: The Cardinals acquiring WR DeAndre Hopkins

I’d like to think the seeds for this deal were planted in mid-January with GM Steve Keim, coach Kliff Kingsbury and other Cardinals staffers sitting in a conference room brainstorming ideas for improving their roster. What I’m imagining:

Kingsbury: What are our options with that David Johnson contract?

Keim: It’s gonna be tough — $10.2 million guaranteed next season. Can’t see anyone taking that on. We would have to eat a big chunk of the salary. Might even have to throw in something else. I learned my lesson the hard way about paying running backs.

Kingsbury: I hear you. Don’t beat yourself up over it. We got the quarterback right. Sky’s the limit for Kyler (Murray). We just need to get him some more help.

George the intern: Hey, I have an idea.

Keim: Speak up. That’s why we have you in here.

George the intern: What if we could kill two birds with one stone?

Kingsbury: Go on, we’re listening.

George the intern: What if we traded Johnson to the Texans? They’re losing Carlos Hyde and might be intrigued by his pass-catching ability.

Keim: I could give Billy (O’Brien) a call, offer to pick up some of that salary and see what he says.

George the intern: Maybe he’d take on the whole salary.

Keim: (Starts to laugh.) Yeah, sure, kid. What’s the second part of this proposed deal?

George the intern: We get DeAndre Hopkins back.

Kingsbury: (Falls out of his chair from uncontrollable laughter.)

George the intern: Well, we would throw in something else — maybe like a second-round pick this year and a fourth next year? Who knows? Maybe they’d give us a fourth back?

Kingsbury: (Rolling on the floor with tears running down his cheeks.)

Keim: Listen, George, we brought you here because we thought you could offer a fresh voice. But if you’re not gonna take this seriously, we’re not gonna keep you around. Here’s 20 bucks. Go grab us some burritos for lunch, and when you get back, be ready to discuss some ideas that we might be able to realistically execute. We’re trying to improve our football team here and don’t have a lot of time.

Kingsbury: (Slowly starts to pull himself off the ground and back into his chair.)

George the intern: (Sheepishly takes the $20 and exits the room.)

(End scene)

OK, now that we’ve gone through that exercise, you get the point. The Cardinals were able to rid themselves of their worst contract and add a 27-year-old wide receiver who has averaged 1,372 yards per season over the last three years and has never missed more than one game in a season. This is the type of deal that would get vetoed if it went down in your fantasy league. You’d immediately suspect the two sides of some sort of collusion.

The Cardinals offense finished 13th in efficiency last season. Murray will now be throwing to Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk. The Cardinals also have second-year receivers who could step up. Oh, and they have the No. 8 overall pick. Arizona has a chance to make a huge leap next season and be a lot of fun to watch.

Worst move: The Texans trading Hopkins

We’ve already covered most of this above, but what makes the move so frustrating if you’re a Texans fan is that they have the quarterback part figured out and should be doing everything they can to help Deshaun Watson. Instead, they traded away his best weapon.

I am generally against trading away great players in their prime. But if you’re going to do it, at least sell high and maximize the return, like the Vikings did with Stefon Diggs (who has not been nearly as productive as Hopkins, by the way).

How did O’Brien convince himself that there was real competition to land Johnson and take on that contract? What was he thinking, throwing in a fourth-round pick? Did he really think Keim was going to say no to the trade without that? This is just another example of a bad process all the way around. General managers across the NFL should be calling the Texans often with trade offers just to see what they say.

joshuaao likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Im surprised there was no polling of the community to vote if it was a sht trade or not.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Report: Money the ultimate factor in DeAndre Hopkins being moved to the Cardinals

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/...-deandre-hopkins-being-moved-to-the-cardinals

EDIT: JR already posted it

#1098 zeeshan2, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Hopkins did not get a raise after the trade nor is he threatening the Cardinals to sit out if they dont give him a raise. Nor did he isolate his teammates the previous year by being an ass. So theres really no parallel here between the two trades.

But it is telling that the hit pieces are already coming out. By the time the season starts casual Texans fans will probably think that Hopkins strong armed BOB into trading him and he said its Arizona or else and BOB being the generous soul he is had to work out this bad deal because he wanted to part on a positive note. And so fans should feel bad for BOB for being put in such a bad position and only did the best he could under the circumstances

J.R. likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

nobody is feeling bad nor will they be later for BoB being disastrous at his job. why should they. he's that bad and continues to be that terrible at it. hes made the texans a dumpster