1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Bill O'Brien to 4-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2018.

?

Do you like the contract extension for Bill O'Brien?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2018.
  1. Yes

29.0%
  2. No

38.0%
  3. Who cares, as long as Bob & Cal are around.

10.0%
  4. Abstain

5.0%
  5. Doesn't matter Brian!

18.0%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Off-season off to a good start.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

In 2015 with Mallet and Hoyer in the regular season the team QB stats were 358/619 for 57.8% 4079 yards 29 TDs and 12 INTs. Consider what he worked with.

Fitztragic was never going to be the answer but he was solid here.

Osweiler. Well...... If you stake your argument on his lack of success then fine I suppose more power to you.

Gets a LEGIT QB...... Somehow he does HISTORICALLY WELL before he gets hurt.

OB is a moron at times no doubt but he isn't useless like you propose. Let's see how he does when Father Rick isn't looking over his shoulder.

raining threes and TheFreak like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So the excuse for his poor coaching was that he's such a terrible judge of talent that it isn't his fault that he can't get anything out of the guys he wanted?

If it wasn't for Bob McNair and Rick Smith finally ignoring him and going after Watson he wouldn't even have that to take credit for.....even though for the most part Watson was doing what he was doing despite the fact that the play calls were still terrible and BOB's moronic coaching decisions led to the team still only being 3-4 with Watson playing like a young Peyton Manning.

Years of getting him the players he wanted led to the roster problems the Texans currently have. Years of his offensive system had the offense underachieving every season......but Rick Smith traded up for a QB who played well enough to overcome BOB's offensive system and that's what BOB fanboys always hype up because they have nothing else.

I posted it elsewhere, but this is BOB's track record.

2014 - 372 points scored 14th in NFL
    2015 - 339 points scored 21st in NFL
    2016 - 279 points scored 28th in NFL

2017 - 338 points scored 17th in NFL

2017 w/Watson on pace for 491 points scored 1st in NFL
    2017 wo/Watson on pace for 218 points 32nd in NFL

It's pretty clear what is the outlier and the reason for it.

4. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Do you think BoB fails miserably the next few years? It's clear he's basically got control. I for one am intrigued with the situation and am optimistic it will work out. Obviously Watson is by far the biggest factor...

Just curious what you are thinking.

Also Vrabel absolutely ****ing sucks and if he is gone I would go out and do donuts in this icestorm.

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

i like it. gives bob time to get the best out of watson.

no more rik smit vs bob power struggle too

raining threes likes this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I’m sure he has built a way out like “well I of course hoped he could change everything I complained about, just didn’t see it happening THIS QUICKLY” much like the Watson argument.

TheFreak and smitheygerard like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's possible (probable?) that Watson will be good enough to overcome BOB's terrible coaching going forward as he was able to do in 3 of the 7 games he played in this past season and I think that'll be enough for most people.....but I'm not expecting BOB to magically become a better coach. I still expect to see the same stupid play calls, the same poor clock management, the same bad decisions.

If that doesn't happen, great. The point is that there's no reason to assume that he'll all of a sudden become a competent coach.

8. texian

texian Member

9. texian

texian Member

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Guess where this is where the qb guru label comes in play:

11. texian

texian Member

12. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

While he hasn't had the peak that Kubiak had here in Houston, he's done more with less on the offensive side of the ball.

Do have to wonder how the chemistry between Watson and O'Brien plays out over the next few seasons, if he can groom him into a elite NFL QB will be the ultimate test.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kubiak almost always had a top 10 offense his whole tenure. OBrien had a top ten offense 4 games with Watson.

OBrien's offense actually got worse every year except those 4 games

Nook likes this.
  14. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I probably shouldn't look at the statistical side of things, but seems like we had more success and bigger names with our offensive positions, if I can kind of recant my statement a bit.

Unless you're one of the special few at your position, seems like no matter where you go, I guess there's always room for improvement.

To just be straight to the point, and surely most already know, but was Watson or even Osweiler O'Briens choice and more specifically on Watson, was it a casualty of the "bad" contract Osweiler received?

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity... Texans' offensive ranking under Kubiak (yards | scoring)
    2006: 28 | 28
    2007: 14 | 12
    2008: 3 | 17
    2009: 4 | 10
    2010: 3 | 7 (my gosh - how BAD was the '10 defense........)
    2011: 13 | 10
    2012: 7 | 8
    2013: 11 | 31

I liked Kubiak a lot and defended him for years on here - but I think there's a wee bit of good ol' days filtering going on with his tenure. His offenses generally ran up and down the field between the 20s but struggled mightily in the red zone and, ultimately, putting up points on a consistent basis.

texian likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But compared to BOB offenses, they were amazing.

17. Mr. Clutch

And as Ravens OC:

2014: 8 I 12
    (they were 25 I 29 the year before he took over the offense)

Granted they were not as good in Denver, but the talent level was arguably much lower.

Overall that's an excellent record IMO. And of course there are more advanced measures of offense that we can look up that might be better measures.

But heck even the disastrous 2013 they were 11th in offensive yards, higher than any O'Brien year!

Since O'Brien took over:

2014: 14 I 17
    2015: 21 I 19
    2016: 28 I 29
    2017: 17 I 20

Yikes.

It honestly doesn't get much worse than that. I mean, that's atrocious. If not for Watson, the 2017 year very well might have been 32 I 32.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, Kubiak had significantly better talent in Houston than O'Brien has, if we're going to allow that.

It's the way the NFL has always ranked teams (yardage) - but, really - who cares? The Texans were average in points/game with Kubiak (average rank of 15th); they've been 20th under O'Brien and, again: O'Brien's never had a QB as good as Schaub in his prime.

I liked Kubiak a lot. I defended him, and the team, after '10 because I agreed they were a DC who knew what they were doing away from potentially being really good. But fans had issues with Kubiak, and it was rooted almost exclusively in his inability to put points up at the same pace as he did yards.

texian likes this.
  19. texian

texian Member

They hated "That's on me."

20. Mr. Clutch

Sure, Kubiak had more talent but that's in large part because he helped find that talent.

I don't think saying Kubiak is a 15th best offensive coach and OBrien 20th best is really accurate. I would consider Kubiak a top 10 offense coach and O'Brien a bottom 5.

I don't think Kubiak was perfect, but I don't think Texans really knew what they were looking at.