1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Bill O'Brien to 4-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2018.

?

Do you like the contract extension for Bill O'Brien?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2018.
  1. Yes

29.0%
  2. No

38.0%
  3. Who cares, as long as Bob & Cal are around.

10.0%
  4. Abstain

5.0%
  5. Doesn't matter Brian!

18.0%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is you are giving props to the wrong people. You should be giving props to RAC for his defense that dragged the Texans to winning the division and not BOB who made the offense worse every year till Watson happened.

juanm34 and Rocket River like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SOOOOOoooooo

What are our Expectations here?

YEAR 1:
    YEAR 2:
    YEAR 3:
    YEAR 4:
    YEAR 5:

The Jags are a win from the Superbowl right?
    Would we have won the division with good health?
    So we have 3 years to get at least 11-5 and a AFC championship game?
    That is not too much to ask is it?

Rocket River

3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Obrien is a good coach who would have had all teams looking for a coach as their first option. I dont understand the hate on him. Yes he has hes flaws (Just like every coach in the NFL) take Sean Peyton for example.. He used two bad challenges in a pivotal game (It happens)/. Players seem to like and defend Obrien - so im cool with him getting more time with the team (Didnt Kubiak get like 8 years as a texans coach)

TheFreak likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Doesn't matter Brian! 9-7 Brian! Back in the playoffs Brian!

:D

Any listeners? Who are the 4-5 coaches they like/want?

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

9-7 Brian!!!

J.R. and Nook like this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Mularkey firing is ridiculous to me. TItans want to sit in mediocrity for the next few years it seems.

BoB gets fired this year had Deshaun not been Deshaun.

Bill had a lot to do with Deshaun being Deshaun.

I think it was smart not to keep changing schemes on your young QB. It doesn't help the QB mature.

red5rocket likes this.
  7. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

yes i agree (Bill helped Deshaun a lot) there was rumors that Bill was working with him one on one all the time (So im glad we kept him - now lets see what he can do

red5rocket and texian like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Mularkey gets fired because their franchise QB is regressing.

BOB would get fired as well if that happens to Watson.

This is what happens when a team invests real money in their QB... if they don't get results, there are regime changes.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He will get 4 yrs. . . no matter way
    Bob won't fire anyone until their last year

Rocket River

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, he's a good coach that has never acted like it then. When you see coaches like Sean Payton wasting timeouts, it reminds everyone of BOB. When you see Mike Tomlin completely blow the game for his team with stupid decision after stupid decision, it reminds everyone of BOB. Horrible decision making and profanity are thus far BOB's calling cards.....well that and trying to throw everyone else under the bus to deflect from his horrible decision making.

11. texian

texian Member

I somehow accidentally got 790/Braddock on my radio once and immediately had to...

[​IMG]

red5rocket likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most owners won't let their coaches coach a lame duck season.... its just a distraction nobody needs.

Coaches get fired routinely after extensions and with years left... even Texans coaches.

13. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

not sure about throwing everybody under the bus (If that was the case) hes players wouldn't want him back. Deshaun Watson/ Clowney/ Watt they all wanted Obrien back.. I think the Owner did the right thing and hired the guy his players want to play for

texian likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's leaked stuff every season attempting to deflect blame for his failures, it's just a thing he does. He says "it's on me" all the time, then behind the scenes he's blaming literally everyone but himself.

I think it's great that players want to play for him....I just wish he was any good at being a coach at all. He managed to make the offense worse every single year till Watson showed up and carried him long enough to where the offense for the year wasn't down yet again. The guy simply can't coach for sh*t, but we still see him talked about as an offensive guru. Rick Smith picking Watson is thus far the only thing BOB fanboys can point to as a positive thing from BOB. That's literally it. Think about that for a while.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe because he ran off all the players that did not support him :D

Rocket River

16. conquistador#11

clanton smh.
    texans faced the patriots in the divisional round and were one perfectly thrown Td that was dropped from taking the lead in the middle of the 4th qtr..
    I think if texans had faced the chiefs, they would have had a better shot at going to the afc championship. Recall, bouye picked of uggs multiple times. Merciless and clowney made uggs throw a tantrum, to the point he kicked clowney, of course no flag was thrown. If Jags had faced the pats instead of the steelers, clanton wouldn't be making that post.
    and I'll tell you what, when the texans get over the hump clanton will be the first one to put on a texans hat on.

texian and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Dq and OC's of other successful teams like Eagles and Pats. Totally unrealistic, Braddick just spews out shocking-hot-takes ala J Lopez..

texian likes this.
  18. Fantasma Negro

Didn't hear five but Braddock made a good case for Matt Nagy from KC, Frank Reich from Philly and Pat Shurmur. They also made a case for why Vrabel should be fired and getting Jim Schwartz in to run a wide nine defensive formation. Braddock has some good ****

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Titans have changed coaches like pants since Jeff Fisher was fired. Hasn't made a difference. Sometimes, stability is better than changing **** for the helluva it.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

790 has an agenda. To knock down the Texans as much as possible to promote the Astros and Rockets. They are still pissed that they didnt get a chance to bid on the Texans' radio package before the renewal.

TheFreak and texian like this.