1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release Randy Bullock; sign Nick Novak

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. mikus

mikus Member

So Chris Boswell, who the Texans passed on twice, has earned AFC Special Teams Player of the Week after kicking 4 FGs for the Steelers in last week's game at Heinz Field, for 28, 47,48,51 yds. He's a perfect 5 for 5 FGs since he was signed 2 weeks ago.

We've looked at this guy twice and passed on him for Randy and Novak. Boswell is local too, having played at Rice University. I will be upset if we continue to have kicking problems while this guy does great for Pittsburgh.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The level of anger I can muster up over kicker decisions is pretty minuscule for me.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

How about when the kicker misses an extra point or field goal and it causes us to lose the game?

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

Hasn't Novak done well?

(didn't watch the Colts game....)

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I mean, if Novak was missing kicks, I'd be slightly less amused...but we wouldnt be any better off with Boswell as our kicker. Also, Novak has performed remarkably well on those important kickoffs.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

If this makes you upset, how do you feel about the QBs, OGs, CBs, TEs, QB pressure, stopping the run, coaching, etc? Life must be really miserable for you huh?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's done better than I would have expected. His leg is weak and a 54 yard FG attempt is completely out of the question, but he's been solid on the short to medium stuff and his kickoffs have been better than I expected. Sure there have been a few turds, but he's had some touchbacks too.

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

A couple pre seasons ago when we had Boswell and Bullock battle fight, I don't remember Boswell ever missing. We even tried him from longer than 50 yards, and he was money. Unfortunately for now, I also remember Bullock making everything as well.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Yeah EXCEPT for the fact that Novak has 8 touchbacks in 3 games where as Boswell only has 4 in 2 games.

Novak is on pace to have more touchbacks this season.

/thread

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

We've already got the token Rice guy in Covington.

11. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

My wife calls him, "non-fat novak"

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bullock won AFC special teams player of the week at the end of last season too.

Also, Heinz Field tends to be pretty damn inconsistent for kickers... especially as the weather gets colder.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

People easily forget that about Bullock.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He missed 2 extra points in the 2nd preseason game. And yes, Randy made all his FG and XP attempts in the preseason too. Randy was the incumbent and had played well to end his rookie season after they made some adjustments. And Boswell wasn't exactly an accurate kicker in college, just 14-21 his senior year at Rice. Randy didn't do anything to lose the job and by missing 2 XP's, Boswell didn't really do anything to take the job away.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

His only miss was his first kick after signing with the team, which was a 52 yarder; career long is 53. If I remember correctly he had enough leg on it, it was just wide. So I don't think a 54 yard kick is out of the question, for him. Not ideal, but not impossible.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The issue is that to generate the length he had to sacrifice accuracy by giving it all he had. Maybe he could make a 54 yarder, but I'd have no expectations of it going in. Honestly I'd trust Bullock more to hit the 50+ yard FG's even though he's not that good at it either. Where Novak has been an improvement is that he's money on everything within 45 yards or so and we couldn't count on Bullock there.

17. mikus

mikus Member

Well the Texans are pretty miserable this year, yes. Are you saying you are ok with their performance this season???

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If a kicker misses a gimme (or close to it) and we lose the game, I get irritated at that kicker for not doing his job. I don't think back and say to myself, "They should have signed this OTHER kicker a year ago who I had never heard of before. It's almost a certainty that HE would have made this kick! Burn Rick Smith's peasant village!"

They're kickers. I don't care.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Priority #1 this offseason should be the signing of Justin Tucker.