1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire Brian Gaine as GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 10, 2018.

?

Do you like the hiring of Brian Gaine?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2018.
  1. Yes

19.1%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. Who cares, as long as Bob & Cal are around.

27.9%
  4. Abstain

27.9%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Exactly, scouting changes nothing, not even if you "align" it with OBrien's philosophy

2. Buck Turgidson

Gotcha, and no I've never said that just hiring Gaine was going to fix anything. (In fact I'm not a big fan of the hire at all). But the buck stops with the GM. You can start to tell after 2 or 3 years which guys were on to good players and which guys weren't (within reason), no matter what team drafted them or signed them. Especially once you get past the "consensus first 100 picks" or so.

But I'm sorry, Mr Clutch, I totally disagree. Some scouts ARE better than others, some guys draft better than others, some guys can "look at the same things" and see vastly different things. If not, why is Cleveland Cleveland? Bad luck?

3. Mr. Clutch

I think Cleveland has had bad GMs, front office, and coaches. I think it's more how they use the scouting vs the scouting itself.

I think there are definitely better scouts than others, but I think for the most part they end up with similar assessments.

That's why they don't get the big bucks, but coaches and GMs do.

Scouts don't make final decisions, trades, salary offers, overall strategy like rebuilding vs win now, acquire assets vs trade assets, focus on draft vs free agency, what position to emphasize, etc.

4. Buck Turgidson

Would you say the same thing wrt baseball? Why or why not?

5. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Seriously......? LOL! WTF?

[​IMG]

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw that they had hired somebody that used to work for them was Yakety Sax (Benny Hill Music) .... Aka the Texans theme song.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Yeah. I think it's kinda similar. More data and analytics exist in baseball, but you still need scouts there to see guys and interpret the data.

But ultimately it will be how the GM interprets all that info and uses it wisely (aka not signing Brock to a huge contract).

Here's a good article on baseball scouts. Talks a little about how they can easily change teams so all teams are pretty much getting similar info.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-status-of-the-scouts-vs-stats-debate/

The Reality of Scouting

There is no replacement for having current tool grades on players. The further from the big leagues, the more important it becomes. One R&D analyst told me he thought scouts were essentially snake-oil salesmen until he did the research and found their reports were the single most important input in a draft model. He didn’t mean their individual rankings were critically important or even the difference between the scouts was enormous and measurable, so much as the tool grades give invaluable context to what the stats and TrackMan data mean. It helped this analyst create a draft board that’s been tested to have greater predictability than any one scout’s list.

#226 Mr. Clutch, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Some scouts are certainly better than others, and it all starts at the top with a central general philosophy. Hard work, and being on the same page is huge. Scouts need to be familiar with the type of schemes that the team intends to run, because it has a direct bearing on how a particular player is viewed as a potential prospect. You see that reflected strongly in organizations like the Patriots and Steelers and Ravens. They know what their franchise values in a player, and they prioritize it when they scout players.

Also organizations can and do turn over scouts fairly quickly if there is a major change in the team philosophy.

raining threes likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not to mention the execs, owners, and coaches being on the same page. Somehow we still don't know exactly who is to blame for the Osweiler debacle. Smith? McNair? O'Brien??

When there is no clear cut accountability and boundaries between each "division" of leadership, it all becomes out of sorts and ultimately the team and fans suffer for it.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You can give out useful information, especially after the fact, to the media without giving away strategy to opponents. Lunhow and Morey are very forthright and it hasn't hurt them.

Savvy fans want some sort of explanation, especially when things aren't going right (see entire Rick Smith tenure save for two years). The fans are the shareholders. But with our fan base I guess it doesn't matter because they are still selling plenty of tickets.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Well see- hope they are aggressive in Free agency and trades

13. texian

texian Member

We need to draft more poor effort/not-a-hard-worker red flag guys...

The dumb leading the blind.

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Clutch

Hmm, everything I've heard from them tells me there gonna draft explosive athletes.

Height/weight/speed.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That was the approach to the 2014 draft. Faster, more explosive.

16. Mr. Clutch

Wasn't that 2016?

2014 was draft big guys who can do multiple things.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Joshfast and Mr. Clutch like this.
  18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I think that’s being misunderstood.

Texans need more tough guys. The difference from the Texans drafting Kevin Johnson and Marcus Peters was character issues. I’m not saying they should go out and get the guys always in trouble with the law or anything. But Texans want the players that are never in trouble and are basically yes sir no sir type of guys. Marcus Peters on the other hand is expressive and has a mean streak. Those are the ones that strike fear in opponents and aren’t afraid to do a little extra. Some might say well look at JJ but he is a clear exemption. I’m probably not explaining it right but I’m sure most of you understand.

HTown_TMac and raining threes like this.
  19. texian

texian Member

The difference on Peters was Rick, who thought Johnson was the better prospect.

The difference generally was and is Bob McNair’s edicts. You’ll need a new owner to change that.

I have zero issue with avoiding woman-beaters and psych issues.

But sometimes you’ve got to take a guy to the owner and lobby for him — Derek Carr, anyone? To win that you need a GM and a HC who have the same goals who’ll do that together. We haven’t had that.

I don’t think the guy who wrote that is very bright. Or he and his buddies just make up isht to gossip about because they’ve more wayyy more airtime than intelligent conversation accessible to them.

I mean, Payne was holding up Max Bullough as an example of whatever they’re trying to say is wrong with the Texans. Bullough barely played.

#239 texian, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    red5rocket likes this.
  20. texian

texian Member

Buried in a Friday evening release...

TheFreak likes this.