1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans get Demaryius Thomas

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RasaqBoi, Oct 30, 2018.

1. raining threes

Apparently it was too hard for Smith since he lost his job.

I think much more highly of what DT can add to the Texans with Watson throwing him passes and his blocking should also help in the run game too. Agree to disagree.

But when the Texans win 10 games this year despite the worst OL I've seen in a long while and an injury depleted secondary I'm sure you will come you will come up with another way to give Smith props he doesn't deserve and crap on BOB some more.

2. raining threes

Ryan will be the OC next yr and I hope Gaine can do what you said.

joshuaao and houstonstime like this.
  3. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think people give Rick Smith too much credit. You're supposed to get quality players in the first two rounds, especially the first round. A good gm can find the hidden gems in the mid to late rounds.

ipaman likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nimo likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Look around the league and there are a lot of misses in the first round. You would ne surprised. Most teams dont hit and keep their 1st rounders. Compared to other teams, Rick was good at 1st rounders and UDFA but was not good elsewhere.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Okay dude. The only reason the special teams is going better is because of Bademosi (whonhas multiple ST penalties of his own)and Reid. Not coaching. Tyler Ervin isnt fumbling because he sees Bademosi and his hands become like a huge dump truck. Brennan Scarlett recovering a muffed punt, that was all Brian Gaine. Got it

macho GRANDE likes this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Doesn't matter what facts you give out about Rick Smith, there will always be people here hating. Usually for no real reason.
    Truth is Rick did many things for this team. He may have even trained Gaines on the way.

Htownballer38, Nimo and The Hunted like this.
  9. seank1986

seank1986 Member

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Shark44 likes this.
  11. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

He also refused to acknowledge the QB position for years, gave Schaub an uncessary contract before he even returned from a Lisfranc injury, sh*t the bed on an alarming amount of mid-round picks, and did nothing to fix the offensive line for years, and gave Cushing a ridiculous contract.

He hit on a bunch of first round picks. I'll give him that.

shvedsucks likes this.
  12. raining threes

Multiple time pro bowler.

Adding guys like Jamerson/Tyson/Jones certainly hasn't hurt.

So you think it's a coincidence the Texans have thebest ST's unit in franchise history and that has nothing to do with Gaine's commitment to fixing the ST's? The fact that they greatly improved a long sore spot and you cant come to grips with it tells me how much love you have with mediocrity.

This tells me where you're at with the Texans org.

You want Gaine/BOB gone regardless of what they do.

joshuaao, houstonstime and shvedsucks like this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

sigh.
    Just in case you're just not reading and want to pick an argument; I'll repeat. The new ST coach is mostly responsible for the difference in special teams; not practice squad guys. They've always had practice squad guys. Credit to O'Brien and Gaine for hiring the ST coach. No one said anything about wanting anyone gone.

*This is not the best special teams in history. Have the Texans had any special teams touchodowns this season?
    *I see you forgot to say anything about Brennan Scarlet. Who has special teams fumble recovery and blocked punt recovery?

14. raining threes

So adding 4-5 new guys has nothing to do with the improvement?

Who hired the new ST's coach and made improvement possible by adding talent? Maybe just maybe it could be Brian Gaine....

The fact that this is as good as the ST's have been since inception is actually kind of sad. Care to show me a year you think they were better than they are now? Certainly not in the Coach Joe Must Go years.

15. shvedsucks

shvedsucks Member

“Maybe the coaching (not GM) is the reason for improved special team play” a few posts later “The only reason the special teams is going better is because of Bademosi (whonhas multiple ST penalties of his own)and Reid. Not coaching” and “credit to obrian and Gaines for hiring the ST coach” all statements made by same poster in matter of just 2 pages. I’m so confused by this

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It appears he lost a power struggle.

I had no issue with the team moving on from Rick Smith. Like most GMs across sports, he had his strengths and weaknesses. But I flat-out refuse to elevate *any* general manager merely on the basis of making a trade. That is so fundamentally silly, as if the act of completing a trade is somehow more important than the actual results of the trade.

I don't understand your point here. Yeah, the Texans have a pretty clear path to 10-11 wins - their schedule is cake. Here's the big question: if they somehow don't reach at least 10 wins, despite that easy schedule, how will you find a way to blame Rick Smith?

Nimo likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sarcasm bro. Did you miss the part about Tyler Ervins hands becoming dump trucks? Did you take that literally too?

houstonstime likes this.
  18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I see people just have to argue their agenda type points. Before this special team coach was hired they hired one of the best ST coaches out there. Unfortunately it just didn't pan out. That's the nature of the business. It's a hit or miss.

#338 Htownballer38, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  19. shvedsucks

shvedsucks Member

Too much going on in your posts, hard to see what’s sarcasm...Tyler Ervin? U mean how u took my statement of Gaines having done more than smith in 1 year literally also? Even after I told u it wasn’t. Should I insist and go on about how your statements didn’t make any sense and tell u you should have stopped there like u did?

20. raining threes

The changing of the was the Texans have been doing business is far more important than the player acquired. Feel free to disagree with me.

I've said this was a small two year rebuild. So while I would be disappointed I realize the mess that was left behind. Something you refuse to see, even when looking at the obvious results of the players/coaches that have been added to improve the ST's.