1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Laremy Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

56.1%
  2. NO

43.9%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The question is how much the Tunsil acquisition offsets the Clowney loss. I think on net it's a small improvement overall. Would have been better to just have play Clowney on the tag. then trade him next year.

Going forward without first rounders the team will get worse.

RHU525 likes this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, you may be right on the short term thing. I think you're almost certainly right on the long term outlook, unless they can make some moves to get some more draft picks.

I do think Tunsil is a nice fix at the LT spot though...presumably for a very long time.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I mean... I can't speak to it. Except - whatever the organizational structure, I don't believe O'Brien has ever managed contracts or the salary cap. If he recommended Bouye was not worth bringing back strictly as a football player... that's on him. But the decision to not franchise him feels like a money issue - and, again, I don't sense that's ever been BO'B's jurisdiction.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Yes Tunsil is very good. There's no questioning that. He has the chance to be an elite LT.

Ottomaton and MadMax like this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

I don't think he manages them per se, but he has input and works with the GM. Generally the structure has been the GM gets the coaches the guys the coaches want, within constraints of salary cap/cost/availability.

I think Rick and Gaine didn't really agree with O'Brien in valuing future draft picks and we've seen that come to a head twice.

I don't fill good about our rest of our future picks. I bet our second for next year gets traded. Then maybe our thirds for the next two years.

6. Hey Now!

Tunsil and... the return on the Clowney deal?........

I'll tell ya what... the worst move this team made - other than not franchising Bouye and trading Brown - was trading Osweiler because it cost them a 2. And I don't think that was BO'B. I think BO'B told them to get Osweiler out of the building... but to trade him was flat-stupid and I put that on Smith.

Let's not get upset about things that haven't happened, OK?

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's a little sad, because on paper this is probably the most exciting offense we've ever opened a season with. Obviously we've had much more talented offensive lines and RB, but Deshaun and these receivers + tight ends are better than what we've ever had.

Yet I'm fully expecting that we're going to lose a couple of close games as usual in part due to questionable play-calling or clock management, then be over-matched again if we make the playoffs.

Also pretty worried about the CB position and depth there. If Colvin can become more serviceable then ok.

everyday eddie, BigShasta and Nook like this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Good point on Brock. The clowney trade is very reminiscent of that. They just want them out of the building no matter the cost.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  9. raining threes

If Watson gets hurt all of the other stars wont matter.

I can accept what's in your post.

If any team loses star level players it's going to hurt the team.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think Trent Williams wanted to be a Texan

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. raining threes

Star level proven players coming off of their rookie contracts get paid. Tunsil is one of these guys.

I feel with all of the draft picks and extra players picked up that depth wont be as big a problem as you think it will be. If star level players get hurt you're sunk regardless of depth. Look at DW4 as an example and Tunsil should help him take less hits.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member

Funny how everyone thinks the offensive line is good when you have tytus howard and scharping rookies going out there. Very presumptuous

Nook likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Yeah I find it weird people think rookies will be good right away.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Can Trent play RT :D

15. Nook

Nook Member

It sure as hell better be a lot better... we just dumped our own #1 and #2 on offense in the draft, then dealt a #3 for a running back and two #1’s and a #2 for a left tackle.

We spent:

3 x #1
    2 x #2
    1 x #3

To help our offense in the last 6 months, that is a massive amount of assets.

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Isn’t that the idea?

This team has no reason not to be a very good to great offensive team if Watson is who Many think he is and can be.

The offensive I would think would be fine over the next two years while we don’t have a 1st round pick.

The defense is another story im worried about the secondary and recently you can get pro bowl level CB play in the 1st round if you hit on the right guy. Seems like there is another elite corner every draft who makes and immediate impact. We won’t have that option the next two seasons.

I think our Dline and LBs are fine.

But if our offense still is avg to below avg with the additions to the line and stills and duke as skill positions playmakers than something else is wrong and it’s prob the play calling. We have enough WR weapons or healthy duke is one of the best pass catching RBs in the game. If we’re not good on O then everything is messed up in HOU.

17. Hey Now!

Didn't the "it" team of today - the Browns - do roughly the same thing? Dump a boatload of assets into their young QB's lap? Granted, it was not done so haphazardly - but they've absolutely spent a wealth of assets around Baker Mayfield. And then everyone lost their damn mind and stomped their feet because the Texans weren't doing the same thing.

Well.........

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ummm yea u can. He leads and then what does he do? Play it safe and attempts to run the time out. People like to trout that stat when hes leading at halftime, just know his stat is probably garbage if hes behind during half time right?

U can see it in the big game even when ahead vs seattle or patriots, he doesnt call plays that goes for the kill but safe time consuming plays. He relies on the defense to save his ass hence being conservative

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I find it laughable that people here think plugging in tunsil will immediately improve our oline. Brand new dude not even 2 week to get accustomed to the team plus he has rookies in the line.

20. Hey Now!

Oh, man.... the point is flying right by you on this one...... If BO'B is 31-1 when leading at halftime, WHATEVER he's doing in the second half - being ultra-conservative or playing fast-and-loose - is very obviously working. Of the many things you can complain about, that is simply not one of them.

stevel likes this.