1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TCU Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Beavis Stiffler

Surprised that there's not a thread about the Frogs until now.

After the big win over Ole Miss, I think they are a team to beat next year.

Still have to go through OU, K-State, and of course Baylor.

2. Bob Barker 007

There's not a thread because they don't have many fans. The Chick-fil-A Bowl did not sell out for the first time in 17 years.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How many and which starters are returning? How is their recruiting looking so far (especially on defense)?

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Clearly snubbed by the NCAA, no way should they have been knoced out of the final four. They destroyed Ole Miss.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Majority on offense (10 of 11). Defense is losing some but have a lot of great underclassmen who played a lot and depth is rock solid. If the injury bug doesn't bite us we should be really good.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Realistically (NO optimism please), should TCU be better next year? Worse? About the same?

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You think they should have been ahead of baylor despite head to head?

8. Major

Major Member

During or after the bowl game, ESPN mentioned that they have 20 of 22 starters returning, and there's a good chance they would be ranked #1 in the preseason.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Don't know. Should be. But you never know, we could **** the bed. UT will be better and Baylor will be good. Who knows?

10. askball

askball Member

I think we have 16 starters coming back, not 22.

Our offense comes back pretty much intact outside of our left tackle. We absolutely lose some quality defensive players though, including Big DPOY Paul Dawson, Marcus Mallett (other starting LB), Kevin White (best cornerback), Chucky Hunter (best DT), and Sam Carter (safety). It'll take some time to get our new starters acclimated, there's no doubt about that. Luckily, GP typically reloads on defense rather than rebuilds.

I think TCU will be about the same next year. We won't go undefeated with trips to Manhattan and Norman. I expect Boykin to be even better with another year in the system but I do expect some regression with our defense (only natural losing so many impact defensive players).

Lastly, in regards to Peach Bowl attendence, I'm pretty sure TCU sold out their allotment. Nothing we can do about not being a state school and having 100k t-shirt fans.

1 person likes this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

TCU - Oregon would have been fantastic. So would TCU - Alabama.

12. Brando2101

Some good news for TCU fans about Daylon Mack.

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/...ll-America-Game-TCU-LSU-Texas-visits-34215692

Mack said he doesn't think A&M getting a good defensive coordinator will make a difference but who knows.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

How about those Horned Frogs?!

What a season. That choke vs Baylor spoiled what should have been an undefeated season. But, it was great to see them TRASH Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl.

They were the sacrificed little lamb...

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Well yeah, werent they ranked ahead of them at no.3 before they were bounced for ratings?

15. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Well, Mack dropped his visit to LSU and is going to make an official to A&M, so I guess a big time hire at DC DID make some difference.

Seriously though, the kid is a beast and he is demolishing guys at the UA All-American game right now, but he seems kinda flaky. He took forever to commit because he "only wanted to do it once" and said that once he committed he was going to shut it down. Then almost as soon as he committed he started playing both sides. He was constantly talking A&M whuile at the same time talking about how much fun he was having at his visits. Then he bails on A&M within a half hour of Malik choosing UT (rumor has it he didn't even call Sumlin to tell him, he just announced it on Twitter). He's got immense talent, but he strikes me as a bit...I don't know. Whoever gets him is getting a heckuva player, but I don't think his sage is going to be over until Signing Day.

16. Brando2101

They were bounced because Baylor beat Kansas St thus making their body of work similar to TCU (with exception of the Minnesota win). Then it became baylor vs Ohio St.

17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>TCU is currently my leader!</p>&mdash; THEE MACK TRUCK (@DaylonMack) <a href="https://twitter.com/DaylonMack/status/551828283386384385">January 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

On paper, TCU should be better. Almost everyone is returning, starters and backups on offense are almost all back, no key players missing really. Defense there are a few players leaving that will need replacing but we are well positioned to replace them. The biggest news so far has been the Co-OCs not taking interviews/jobs elsewhere, that was the key to the offseason IMO.
    Looking at it, with the recruits coming in, not losing many players, another year of Boykin developing and the offense running, etc TCU should be better on paper. Unfortunately, there's not a huge difference in winning or losing most games and playing the season again, anything could happen, so it's hard to say TCU will be better for sure.
    Looking at the rest of the Big 12 I think OSU will be significantly better as they were very young and have a QB in place. I think UT will be better as well but they have a huge issue at QB, without that being fixed, it'll be hard to win the Big XII. OU should be better as well and I expect KState and WVU to drop off some with their losses.

The schedule is manageable and the focus will be on us from the early going, so we won't have to battle our way up the rankings. I imagine a top 4 preseason ranking, probably #2, which if you keep winning, works well for TCU. I hate not playing on the last week of the season, that could come back and hurt us as well (nothing we can do about it though).

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yeah ok, and the WV loss? What body of work was that similar to? Dont kid yourself its all about the money.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

VT Loss sorry.,^