1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tax Obligations and rockets 19 pick from forbes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

D-rock, napalm06 and Corrosion like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They have the T-MLE and veterans minimums , other than that to add anything they have to subtract something.

They also cant trade next years #1 pick as the rule states you cant trade out of the selection process in back to back years. They can trade that player once picked or use the following seasons draft pick but that has a lesser value being another year out.

I think its critical that they retain Shumpert this offseason and don't overpay to do it so they can move one of him or EG to match any salary requirements via trade. Incidentally signing Shumpert to a deal equal to his salary this year puts them over the apron ….

Morey has his work cut out for him this offseason …. best case is that Faried & Rivers accept the veterans minimum (unlikely for Rivers , possible for Faried) then you can use that MLE to bring in more talent. Worst case is you use the MLE on one or both of the above and are handcuffed ….

3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Well, hopefully there’s #newmath we don’t know about. Getting a third star in here sounds impossible going forward. I don’t see Gordon on this roster next year and I’m starting to think trading Clint is our only hope to upgrade elsewhere.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Between Gordon, Tucker and Nene, that is $26 million in salary that can be moved for a third near-star. Plus picks, of course. Might be enough to net a player like a Jimmy Butler or a Tobias Harris.

5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Honestly i would just buy out C paul , and trade most everyone for picks. Get a few #1 picks, and if harden is down to stay for the rebuild then fine, if not just trade him, you can always get to the 8th seed with harden playing with scrubs on his team lol.

Chris paul had no right to sign that contract, all he did was bind houston for adding more pieces to a championship run, just so he can get a ridiculous contract for himself, not like he already got paid.

#25 Le$$, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

another day, another depressing thread to read :(

7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

We are really behind the 8 ball for the future. Our ONLY plays are to use Shumpert or Gordon as expirings with 4 1sts. The danger with Shumpert is that we have to wait until December to trade him. General Soreness is going to want his money now. We lost that chance and besides PG13 he was the perfect fit. The question we have to ask now is who else fits that might be out there. That list now is very small. Wash has proved they are going to hold onto Beal. All of our plays have been for disgruntled stars and with FA and all of the previous trades we are just about out of ALL of those options. You are left begging the Celtics for their misfit scraps. BG is not getting traded, Mirotic has a home, Love is a nonstarter. Butler will be a on a new team just not ours. Aaron Gordon and Tobias Harris will not be available for us. Although overpaid, Porter has a home. Teams are pretty clearly aligned into tanking and cleaned out and building. Where is our next target and sadly for us it really is a wing and not Johnson or Bazemore?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Oh the red94.net owner/lawyer

9. junk151

junk151 Member

[​IMG]

amaru and biff17 like this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I see the smarts in getting under the tax this year, that theoretically gives us leeway for the rest of this big 3s tenure. We can still shed Nene as well. There’s plenty of veterans and useful buyouts, g league call ups to churn up a decent bench.

I see the movable pieces next year... It’s Gordon and Tucker, those 2 make 30 mil. Neither is a star and both have floundered as mega role players this year. Gordon’s crybaby act and starting at forward has lead to maybe his worst season ever, certainly his worst season as a rocket. Tucker is getting on and doesn’t have the juice to pound his chest on defense AND hit corner 3s 82+ times a season.

11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Well, Les got it. 14.5 percent rate of return on the initial 85 million dollar investment. Bernie Madoff wasn't offering those kinds of returns.

I really wonder how much of Fertitta's own money he used in order to buy the team? I also wonder if the NBA has similar leverage limits on ownership bids, as does MLB.

12. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Doesn't taking the non-taxpayer MLE hard cap the team to the luxury tax threshold?

And I think it's already been shown by others here that this team financially and resources-wise, is the furthest thing from 'positioned well for next year'.

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

5.5 million is very little.

a point guard like Rivers could demand 1 year 5.5 million.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

Nene, Clark and Hartenstien are not guaranteed to be on the team, especially Clark and Hartenstein.

How about you run those numbers.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

I don't think they will try and sign Austin to the MLE they can can get an upgrade with that money IMO.

I also think they can get a comparable player to Faried with the minimum if not Faried.

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

Letting Clark and Hartenstein go increases incomplete roster charge immediately. It is about the same amount.

Trade Gordon/pick for rookie contract is the best idea.

#36 BigBum, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Yeah, I think it's time for me to take a timeout from CFs.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets are stuck basically because of how terrible Gordon has become. I said it last Summer he’s their one player they can maybe move for couple other players who could be more useful. Gerald Green or a Nick Young type do what he does and maybe better this season.

I would say just keep recycling out spare parts and live with a 45 to 55 win team the next couple of years but that might not be a reality if Harden decides he wants out.

19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

They're making the minimum. Anyone the Rockets add in lieu of them---and they have to carry a minimum number of players---is going to be making the minimum or more. Clark and Hart's fate with this team is essentially irrelevant as to whether and how the Rockets will be taxpayers.

EDIT:All right, Nene isn't making the minimum. But it's not that much more. He'll probably be dumped or bought out-stretched.

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tucker is not available.
    If MDA is unable to lead this team to win the west, Tilman can easily allocate $10.5 tax room for 7 players and get luxury tax profit next year again and again.