1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tarantino] Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is this a "spoilers" thread? Geez.

Was just going to say that a good friend of mine that I play trivia with loved the flick. Thinks it's probably the best one he's done since Pulp Fiction. I still haven't seen it, but plan to rectify that in a day or two.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. VanityHalfBlack

Amen! Bruce had an ego like no other. He would get into a scuffle with stuntman all the time, especially on the set of enter the dragon. Shannon just want her cut, lolol. She bankin on her dad's name too.

whiskeyred likes this.
  3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

dmoneybangbang and whiskeyred like this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Hell yeah I thought Mike Moh was awesome, he had one of the best dialouge in the movie imo. The cassius clay/sonny liston bit was so damn good. I was pumped the *** up!

whiskeyred likes this.
  5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I’ll be the first one in the thread to say I hated the movie. Maybe I don’t “get it” but the pace was excruciating, the story was pointless and the movie will win every award because Hollywood loves nothing more than watching movies about itself. I normally like Tarantino movies, but I couldn’t wait to leave the theater.

B-Bob, superfob and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah Sally Menke is sorely missed. She is the one who does the editing before she passed away.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

It was well acted and period piece of it was great.
    No standout moments really takes away from Tarantino's strong point in movies.

Like the movie was a little too straightforward.

It's easily the worse of his movies, and I probably hate it too if I objectively took away me being a fanboy of Tarantino.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Very good movie. As an old dude who was alive and aware of what was happening in 1969, this movie was like a trip through a time machine. His reproduction of the era was pretty amazing.
    [​IMG]
    Real Spahn Ranch in 1969

[​IMG]
    Tarantino's reconstruction...

I think it may not resonate as much for younger folks who have no idea of where we were at as a collective-consciousness-country back then. It's a shame the sad reality of the finale was much different.

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

While a lot of this passed over my head because I wasn't familiar with the time period, I didn't dismiss the fact that this movie probably hit a lot of memory notes for those who were familiar with it. There were times I was thinking to myself. I KNOW I'd appreciate it more if I understood the historical importance of some of the scenes.

Instances like that don't make me dismiss a movie but instead makes me more curious to learn about the time period and the things I'm being shown. Too many times I think movies or tv shows that are set during a certain time period are dismissed as being crap, mostly because the viewer is not informed enough about what they are watching.

After watching some documentaries and interviews, the movie is a lot more appealing to me. Granted I thought it was good already, albeit a bit slow but educating myself on what Tarantino wanted me to see, made me appreciate the movie much more.

RudyTBag and Rashmon like this.
  10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I'm with you. Nothing happens until the last silly 30 minutes, and by that point, I didn't care at all.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not a fan of actors with a shtick. Like Stifler. And some (not I) might even argue that both Pitt & DiCaprio fall into that category (I think they simply tend to come off as themselves, they aren't doing a bit purposefully).

Anyways....

My ONE exception is Bruce Dern. I get it. He's always going to be a confused, gross, grouchy old man. And I love it.

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Seemed kind of valedictory for DiCaprio and Pitt, and maybe allegorical to their later careers and personae: DiCaprio pushing himself emotionally and Pitt kind of morphing, aesthetically at least, into Robert Redford: while sabotaging superficially enviable relationships yet being a provider and protector to those who are genuinely broken or vulnerable. Also fairly rewarding for some really young supporting actresses; it almost seems like Tarantino is branching out of his usual stable of actors they way Scorsese did at some point. The driving shots were all surprisingly compelling and probably a subtle metaphor for both the promise and pain of being in Los Angeles.

#112 Dairy Ashford, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed. The driving scenes were really amazing. Especially the glimpse of the old style Der Weinershnitzel building in all it's drive-thru glory that young folks today have never seen. Little details like that were cool.

For those unfamiliar with the whole Manson stuff, if you research old crime scene or Spahn Ranch pics you will see QT reproduced some very iconic pics throughout the movie.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whipper snappers in here don't get it, and that's what I love about it.

QT does not pander... Beautiful, wonderful film made for people who love film.

mikol13, whiskeyred and Rashmon like this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My wife and I both really enjoyed this movie. Felt very Tarantino for sure.

whiskeyred likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just watched it the other day, it was great.

Laughed very hard at the ending, the pace of the movie lulls you to sleep and then bang. Enjoyed Brad Pitt's character a lot, acting was really good from both Leo and Brad.

The movie is about nothing, and it's essentially 2.5 hours of a slow lead up to a short firework ending, but A. everything in the build-up was used and B. it was just flat out cool to see that level of production value displaying a 1969 Hollywood world with 2 immensely loveable stars being directed by QT.

17. VanityHalfBlack

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

These guys are one of my favorite movie reviewers.

VanityHalfBlack and mikol13 like this.
  19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Lee's actual quote about Muhammad Ali is the exact opposite of what he said in the film and completely in line with what trained fighters and teachers concede about the limits of their systems and objective advantages in a fight. He would challenge individual practitioners in other arts in public but somewhat controlled settings, similar to the what the Gracies would do before the UFC was an available platform.

Shannon Lee is probably right to defend her dad's memory, but it'd be nice if she'd carved out enough of her own career or legacy to not feel compelled to respond to stuff like this.

Also, I can't get over how much more low key entertainment news television seems in Canada, they literally had a conversation in their regular voices with no background music, prepackaged segment or aggressive camera work zooming in onto the set.

#119 Dairy Ashford, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  20. cardpire

cardpire Member

100% agree. I don't think i've ever been shocked how shitty a movie was that I went in expecting to love. I figured "eh, that was a bit of a letdown, but still entertaining enough" would be the absolute floor. But this movie absolutely sucked start to finish, save for the 5 minutes of gratuitous violence (still a pointless scene) at the end. Just a bunch of disjointed, pointless **** mashed together, and 95% super boring to boot.

Can't believe so many people thought this was good.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.