1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Syria] US Troop Withdraw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 19, 2018.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Well I have a solution, let's leave. But you don't like that. It's an unpleasant option. But hey, guess what, there are no pleasant options here.What is your solution?

The region known as "Kurdistan" has 8.5 million people. We should bring them all to the U.S.? Do they want to come to the U.S.? I don't know that they do. I believe most Kurds want to carve their own nation-state out of territories currently controlled by Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Syria. They have wanted that for a long time.Those government's are not amenable to that. Hence, the conflict.

We've been stuck in Afghanistan for 18 years. We've been stuck in Iraq for 15 years. It's cost us trillions of dollars and thousands of young wounded, mia and kia, and what do we have to show for it? The circumstances of those countries are not improved from 2001 or 2004. It was all a huge waste. I think the same thing would play out in Syria. I don't think we can give the Kurds what they want. I don't think the aforementioned countries will give them territory to make their own nation-state. I want to leave all of these places. It's not our job to take care of all these people or to state build in the middle east or ensure their freedoms or liberties.

All of these things have been a huge drain on the United States resources. That's how you bring down a great country. You bleed the exchequer. Twenty two trillion in debt now. Enough is enough with spending trillions and getting no return in far flung countries.

dachuda86 likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kurd death count rising as we speak.

You don’t abandon your allies to die in a place of such strategic military importance. We must remain a presence in these regions, or China will step in and take over and expand, as they already have in many places throughout OBOR. The aftereffect of such a reversal is obvious.

And, Trump is a child.

AleksandarN likes this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why not leave like a 100 troops there? I mean turkey is not going to kill American troops if they don't want to be bombed back to the stone age. How much could it have cost to leave a small deployment there.

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

What is your solution?

You don’t abandon your allies to die.

You don’t shun all your allies in favor of despots.

You control and monitor places of tactical importance, forever If you have to.

Lose grip on our reach of intelligence in foreign regions, snowball effect for the US. No bueno...

CometsWin likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. conquistador#11

He will be the first one tweeting when one of those isis members inflicts harm on a crowd of innocent people and then blame all muslims.
    win win for him.

7. HTM

HTM Member

So what do you want to see the United States do to help the Kurdish people?

8. HTM

HTM Member

You don’t abandon your allies to die. - Grand standing - not a solution

You don’t shun all your allies in favor of despots. - Grand standing - not a solution

You control and monitor places of tactical importance, forever If you have to. - Commit our military to a complex, intractable problem in the middle east forever? Great solution.

Lose grip on our reach of intelligence in foreign regions, snowball effect for the US. No bueno... - Sure, as if, we were ever able to exist in a world without military commitments in Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I want the US to maintain strategic advantages in critical zones to foster intelligence and joint operations with useful allies.

If we don’t, I hope you are ready for China to invest/extort and takeover, as they have in strategic ports all over the world already.

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

You really don’t understand the need for military presence and intelligence in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Strait?

Seriously?

Bro.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

This isn’t about achieving victory. This is about keeping our allies close, but our enemies closer.

I’m sorry If that’s too obvious for most of you. o_O

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The kurds are welcome to leave their position. They are the aggressors taking land that is not theirs. They are linked to terrorism in a NATO ally country Turkey. Stop buying into the poor kurd narrative. These are not some romantic band of freedom fighters and we owe them nothing.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They are NATO. No **** we help them secure their southern flank.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are emotional about the kurds... terrorists essentially. Just because you don't like the president of turkey doesn't mean you abandon Turkey for a no country band of anarcho communist terrorists.

15. HTM

HTM Member

So what is the long-term solution for dealing with the ISIS fighters in captivity? Kurdish forces are not equipped to deal with them in the long-term anyway.

What is the solution there?

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, I'm emotional about the honor of the USA but F that S! We gonna get PAID, amirite!? Nothing so sweet as that purple, dictator lira!

AleksandarN and foh like this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

This is some brilliant international military/political stratagem right here.

Lets continue a failed military policy in Afghanistan and Iraq, that has cost the U.S. tax payer literally trillions of dollars, and lets add a long-term military commitment to protect the Kurds destined to fail because "we need a military presence there" for "reasons" and "Intelligence" - Yea, sign me up for decades more of squandered trillions and American lives for "reasons" and "intelligence" - like we cannot obtain intelligence any other way.

18. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

So was zerohedge lying? Fake news level?
    European countries did not want to receive their citizens back. Turkey accepted a good amount.

19. HTM

HTM Member

So what do you want to see the United States do? Start a war with Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Syria to force them to cede territory to the Kurds so they can create their own nation-state? Or do you want to United States to commit to a military presence in region known as "Kurdistan" in perpetuity and what are the long term ramifications of that?

And how much will those endeavors cost the American people and what will the American people get out of that?

MiddleMan likes this.
  20. WNBA

WNBA Member

trillions of dollars is the price for seizing a colony (ok, 'military presence' nowadays )........Don't forget, you got trillions more in return, including you can control that countries resource, politics, economy, military, and even the lives of their citizens..... who doesn't love a' military presence' ? This idea unified all Americans except Trump...