1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Syria] US Troop Withdraw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 19, 2018.

1. dmoneybangbang

2. HTM

HTM Member

I'd like to see a huge reduction in the size of our military and our military industrial complex. I'd love to see a huge reduction in our overseas commitments too. I'd like to get out of Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and reduce our presence in the region to a fairly minimal level. Lets use those resources on helping the American people. We shouldn't be the worlds police.

I don't understand what those who are saying we are "betraying" the Kurds expect us to do for them? Syria, Iraq, Iran and Turkey aren't going to give up territory to allow the creation of a Kurdish nation-state. What do you expect us to be able to do for them? I'm not willing to go to war with the above listed countries to force them to create a Kurdish nation-state. I like the Kurds. I appreciate them for doing the heavy lifting in fighting ISIS but they didn't do that simply to help out the United States. They did it to protect themselves. I'm glad we could help each other. ISIS tanks weren't going to be rolling down any of our streets. I don't think that means we now have some unbreakable union and that we will protect them at all costs from their enemies.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Soon there will be a young Kurdish boy remembering watching his parents die in Syria thinking about an attack on a U.S. embassy with eyes on something bigger in the US....

edwardc likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

You realize it was in the self interest of the Kurds to fight ISIS right? It's not as if they did for the U.S. as a favor.

What do you want to U.S. to do for the Kurds? Specifically articulate what you want to see done.

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Yeah you are right isis is not a threat to the US. They never said death to america ever. No need to be in Syria. Let’s just let them have it.

edwardc likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. dmoneybangbang

If you don’t understand how giving up some allies to a hostile government that views them as the enemy is just not in the US interest then that’s just your world view.

How much is really costing the US to not have US troops look the other way as Turkey rolls it’s military in?

We ado we keeping rolling over for dictators in the Middle East? We are doing this to appease Turkey.... a country that has threatened to buy Russian made arms....

8. dmoneybangbang

Can we not abandon them to the country that wants to kill them for starters?

9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Just like when we pulled out of Vietnam, we could always let the Kurds resettle here as refugees. That way, we pull out of the Middle East and prevent genocide to our allies.

10. dmoneybangbang

That’s fine. Is that a solution being presented by the Trump admin? I would imagine it would take sometime to do that, probably will still need the US troops.

I recall them being a little “iffy” about refugees.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

I find the notion that if we spend less resources in the Middle East, the more we have to spend at home is pretty disingenuous.

What has the GOP done that make anyone think that? Not to mention, regardless of administration, we have deficit spending in the 21st century. Nothing stopping us from spending more on US citizens....

12. HTM

HTM Member

So we should leave a military presence in northern Syria/Iraq until the end of time to guarantee the Kurds security? I don't see the conflict/tensions between the Kurds and the Turks/Iraqis/Iranians/Syrians coming to an end anytime soon.

You just want to say, "wE CaNt BeTrAy tHe KuRdS" - Well, I'm all ears for what we should do for them.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

As soon as a American is killed by one of the 10k plus isis terrorist that will be freed because of 45's stupid *ss move.I'm going to keep saying it WORST *ucking Potus ever.

14. NewRoxFan

Remember when bluster-in-chief pretended to be a tough guy above?

15. NewRoxFan

16. NewRoxFan

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Trump it is ALWAYS about money. His solution to the Palestinian/Israeli conflict was to "make everybody a lot of money". He can't even understand any other motivation in life other than getting wealthy.

Sexy dictator Erdogan is a much better investment than gross Kurds who don't even have a country to build a Trump Tower in. The best investment is to throw then Kurds to the wolves. Loyalty and honor are for suckers.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

GOP just get it done already. Speed up this process, get this clown out of office, even Pence is better, do it now before more damage is done.

Newlin and edwardc like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Instead of the end of time hyperbole... how about we come up with a solution? Refugees were suggested. How does that work for you?

Are we actually leaving Syria or just looking the other way?

20. NewRoxFan

So apparently we have worked with Turkey on their attack...

FranchiseBlade likes this.