1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Syria] US Troop Withdraw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 19, 2018.

1. dmoneybangbang

Trump has no military background. Does he have an actual thought out plan for the withdrawal or is this more of his trying to fulfill campaign promises at all cost?

2. dmoneybangbang

Lol. So his own military are now war hawks when they disagree with the president?

Didn’t Trump appoint General Mattis? Then Trump got butt hurt when Mattis quit and tried to make it seem like he got fired?

3. dmoneybangbang

Lol. So his own military are now war hawks when they disagree with the president?

Didn’t Trump appoint General Mattis? Then Trump got butt hurt when Mattis quit and tried to make it seem like he got fired?

4. dmoneybangbang

Didn’t the GOP crucify Obama for following the Iraq withdrawal orders that led to ISIS taking territory?

Are these same people willing to give Iran the win in this region by pulling out of Syria? I thought Iran was a baddie?

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I know you are programmed to defend everything trump does, so let me state this in the simplest of terms... trump did not even consult with his intelligence and military leadership, including the commander of CENTCOM.

The senate just passed an (non-binding) amendment to overturn trump's decision. And trump just had to reverse himself to state he will keep troops in Syria. trump should have consulted with intelligence and military leadership to begin with, instead of making a political decision is now isn't keeping.

6. NewRoxFan

Of course they did. dachuda didn't have internet access in those days or I am sure he would have been supporting Obama's decision to bring the troops home.

7. dmoneybangbang

It’s just amusing hearing the Trump supporters/apologists try and flip the script with the “war hawk” talk when Trump simply made a political decision.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Get this, how many Sec of Defense were retired career military?

Answer: Only one. *The* General George Marshall (Nobel Peace Prize winner, fav of Winston Churchill) ... And prior to SoD he was a White House Chief of Staff and Sec of State, so he had a politcal track record by the time he became SoD.​

Other than Marshall, General Mattis is the *only* careerist who became SoD. He was the senior military advisor for Wolfowitz when he was Dep SoD, Rumsie was SoD, and Cheney was VP. To me, seems reasonable to assume this was planned for awhile to get a Hawk back in the WH...and I don't think it was Trump's plan, but likely a compromise of sorts, originally.

I really do not understand how anyone for peace is upset with President Trump getting rid of that obvious Hawk who was chosen by the military-industrial machine.

#268 heypartner, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The tribalism in here is amazing. If Trump does something, it must be bad. These wars will never end if you have to get approval from intelligence agencies and the military industrial complex to end them.

dachuda86, heypartner and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

11. dmoneybangbang

Is it? I don’t trust Trump has some sort of plan, especially after saber rattlin’ about Iran we are going to do a 180 and pull out of hot spot that Iran was meddling in? Seems like Russia and Iran gain the most by us pulling out. I remember Obama getting crucified for pulling out Iraq and for the rise of ISIS.

This is the same admin that has suggested military intervention in Venezuela is on the table....

12. dmoneybangbang

Mattis was Trump’s pick, just like Rex Tillerson. What’s the point of appointing these people then, optics?

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We all know he was officially Trump's pick. And whether that was a compromise or Trump was persuaded to put a Hawk in the WH, is irrelevant in whether I agree with removing him now.

Why do you like Mattis so much? Personally, I don't like the idea of retired military careerist to be SoD as their first job out of active duty, or ever. Too many other candidates. It doesn't bother you that he was and remains so close to Rumsie and Wolfowitz.

14. dmoneybangbang

Well then that’s on Trump for appointing people who doesn’t agree with. The churn from Trump’s cabinet appointments (not taking about those left due to corruption) compared to others is telling to me. Trump’s decision making process is very suspect and he seems to just want to cross campaign promises off his list, regardless if it’s in our interest.

I don’t have strong opinions on Mattis. I like people that seem competent at their job and has the expertise. How close exactly was Mattis to Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz and what’s the significance to that? It seems weird that Trump was saber rattling over Iran and then makes a decision that favors Iran? Is this some sort of abrupt strategy change, part of the long game, or just a rash decision that caught his own people off guard?

I would love to leave the Middle East but I don’t trust Trump’s decision making.

15. NewRoxFan

16. NewRoxFan

17. NewRoxFan

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Did it work?

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Like the move or not, the ‘I know best and don’t need to listen to anyone’ is making this country less safe.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There is no completion of missions to defeating terrorists. Regardless of Trump's motivation we dont need to be there and being there gains nothing.

dachuda86 likes this.