1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Syria] US Troop Withdraw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 19, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious, you support trump's decision to withdraw troops from Syria, you agree with him re: his vanity wall, and you referred to Obama as "Barry"... are you sure you are not a trump supporter?

Nook likes this.
  2. HTM

HTM Member

1. Like I said, I support a reduction in the United States Military (generally) and United States military commitments around the world. I'd support any President's policy who sought to do that.
    2. Like I've said, I think the current strategy at the southern border is a huge waste of money and has been for years. The border is not secure and we spend billions giving a half-ass effort to secure it every year. Trump didn't invent the idea of expanding physical barriers on the border. That idea has been out there a long time. As you know, the border already has a lot wall/fencing/physical barriers. I think the strategic use of wall/fence/physical barriers is a good way to go.
    3. I don't see calling Obama "Barry-O" as a pejorative. I haven't seen it used as a pejorative but maybe some people do? I picked it up from that Key and Peele Obama video "the college years". I thought it was funny.

3. HTM

HTM Member

Then you'd never leave anywhere. There will never be a consensus. There will always be critics.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good time to re-read David Halberstram's The Best and the Brightest

NewRoxFan likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

Don't think anyone is arguing we should send 100,000's of troops to Syria.

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

my point had nothing to do with numbers and EVERYTHING to do with your statement, "But, I don't approve of pulling them when military and intelligence leaders say not to" as bolded above. ;)

7. NewRoxFan

Well, not exactly... the story behind the Viet Nam War was not a simple debate between whether now was the right time to pull troops out of Viet Nam, but rather, multiplying our presence after the government gave false statements as to the real situation of the war.

Again, I am not saying the troops should stay indefinitely, and definitely not sending in huge numbers of troops. I do disagree with making a decision about troops without listening to military and intelligence (which trump did) and worse I disagree why he removed all the troops (not based on the conditions but political designs).

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fair enough. my point (sarcastic I'll admit) was also about the sudden apparent turnaround of doves and hawks. There is something to the recent arguments that Dems seem to be the war-mongers/hawks who appeal to the military-intelligence communities for support and Rethuglicans who appear to be the party of pull-outs and peace.

9. NewRoxFan

Perhaps... but I will let you in on a secret... when countries do bad things, I turn from a "dove" to a "hawk". I also turn into a hawk if allies of ours have bad things happen to them. I am such an extreme liberal that I am a firm believer in the death penalty (in fact, I sat on a capital case and was one of the first on the jury to argue both for guilty and death penalty). I think we are too soft on crime, and too much time is allowed before punishment is rendered.

Maybe I need a new label????

10. NewRoxFan

Gee... and it just seems like yesterday when we defeated ISIS...

11. NewRoxFan

What? senate republicans took a look into their shorts and remember they are actually a part of a co-equal branch of the government elected by the American people?

12. NewRoxFan

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Presidents can start illegal wars but cannot end them. How bout that?

heypartner likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Are you accusing U.S. military presence as being an illegal war? Or are you accusing CENTCOM commander General Vogel as leading U.S. military troops in an illegal war. Just trying to understand who and what you are accusing our military?

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Patriot Act made sure they weren't illegal anymore. No such need for congressional approval. That's just a stupid gimmick like when you cut a bow to open a business.

16. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I applaud Trump for ending these foreign wars that cost money and lives. The military complex like any organization
    and many hawks like war and conflict as that's what they know.

I AGREE 100% with Trump that our military should be used for protection of our country and its interest and not for
    foreign wars unless they're to protect ourselves.

If it was anyone but Trump, he would be applauded but the derangement that is Trump causes people to discombobulate.

17. NewRoxFan

So... you have no problem with trump announcing the withdrawal of troops without consulting with his intelligence or military leadership including the commander of CENTCOM?

btw, the troops are still in Syria...

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I think you are forgetting who commander-in-chief is.

19. NewRoxFan

Oh, trust me... his being cic, with his lack of experience and knowledge about intelligence and the military makes it even more troubling that he didn't consult with the experts.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Pointless wars started by previous admins without the permission of Congress are troubling. Trump backing out of pulling them out of Syria is troubling. But him not listening to the war hawks who need war to justify their budgets and positions? That somehow isn't so troubling.

heypartner likes this.