1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surviving the Equifax Data Breach

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Sep 18, 2017.

1. adoo

adoo Member

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Thanks, adoo!

Surprised this topic hasn't gotten any replies, although your post doesn't really ask for any. As you say, this impacts half the country, and, as such, might have more direct implications on all of us than any other topic being discussed.

I did plug my info into the 'are you affected' link, and it indicated I was. As any of you who have, or know someone who have, had their identity stolen, it can be a real nightmare to deal with. I urge all of you to check and see if you were impacted.

It will be interesting to see what the longer term implications of this are for Equifax. Gathering such critical information on people, only to lose control of it, is a very major deal.

3. adoo

adoo Member

no problem.

i too was affected, i have requested a credit freeze w all the big 3,

what pissed me off is that
    Equifax's data was compromised, but did not disclose that until some 5 months later, after several senior executives had
    sold off their stock options.

Equifax's senior executive for IT security was a music major in college and had no previous professional experience w IT nor data security​

#3 adoo, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

BS squared.

I didn't know about the music major. Good grief! That's...incompetent! Especially at a company like Equifax, which makes its living on two things: its perceived integrity, and dealing with sensitive information from the bulk of the public. So, ya, no reason to hire an actual security guru there!

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

While Equifax Victims Sue, Congress Limits Financial Class Actions

An anonymous reader quotes a local NBC news report:
    But are things about to get worse? Marketwatch reports:

Funny story: I don't remember opting in on the Equifax mandatory arbitration clause.

6. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Talk: We are for the common people, against the elite.

Real: Protect the elite, take power away from the people.

Mkt: #maga

Deckard, JeffB, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I swear what we're seeing in modern times is about as bad as when the government handed out smallpox blankets to the native peoples.
    What's astounding is that it's so short-sighted. You can't drive over 90% of the country toward poverty and desperation and sincerely think it's going to be a nice place and a nice life for the other 10%.

JeffB likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/business/equifax-settlement.html

Equifax to Pay at Least $650 Million in Largest Data-Breach Settlement Ever

The settlement, which was announced this AM and still needs court approval, would be the largest ever paid by a company over a data breach. The deal requires Equifax to put a minimum of $380.5 million into a restitution fund for American consumers who file claims showing that they were financially harmed.

A portion of that money will pay for lawyers’ fees, but at least $300 million must go to victims, according to settlement documents filed in federal court in Atlanta. If the initial cash is depleted, the company will add up to $125 million more to settle consumers’ claims, bringing the total fund size to more than $500 million.

Deckard likes this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Chinese military stole masses of Americans’ data, US says

"Four members of the Chinese military have been charged with breaking into the networks of the Equifax credit reporting agency and stealing the personal information of tens of millions of Americans, the Justice Department said Monday, blaming Beijing for one of the largest hacks in history to target consumer data."

https://apnews.com/05aa58325be0a85d44c637bd891e668f

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I think IDIOT...oh well...