1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

This. Making money in the long term shouldn't be hard with this market. Throw it into a company that's going to be around and you should see solid returns. Even getting back to previous highs will get you 30%.
    If you don't want to pick individual stocks, just throw it into SP500 and call it a day.

What I am trying to do is make some riskier plays during these mini pumps...rinse/repeat and then go back to playing the long game.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I expect us to lose around 3700 points over the next few weeks before we find our bottom.

#9162 Plowman, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would not be surprised if the bottom is not months away.

I could be wrong but I do not think the market has priced in
    • the number of unemployed
    • the number of small businesses that will go out
    • the fall in GDP for the second quarter and the year
    • the CV bounce back in the fall

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the coming weeks will shock many, and we'll see an overreaction in the market providing a deep entry point. Somewhere around 17?

Anyway, I love your post, and believe these things will keep us range bound for the duration of those months., and then we'll pick up momentum into the election.

That said, a more accurate representation of the support, with oil taking a backseat to tech is playing out..and, of course everything continues to be manipulated on a grand scale. (MUCH bigger than most would believe)

Sajan, desihooper, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely agree, the market always has some manipulation going but this is already wild on some of the things I've been watching and I'm sure it'll get even more interesting once this goes lower... Just have to capitalize on it or slowly wait to get back in etc.

Oil has had some interesting plays over the last few days and today. Unfortunately I didn't fully capitalize on the swing but got some out of it, depending how news of Russia/Saudi plays out it could be a nice play to repeat. I mean eventually it'll return but I'm looking for short plays still

desihooper and Plowman like this.
  6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Manipulation? You best believe. There is no reason whatsoever for the market to be up. Feds are pumping this up trying to hold this whole thing from breaking down. I don't blame them. The alternative (let the markets free fall) would bring total chaos with all asset classes going to the toilet bowl.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be curious to see who is benefiting from the name dropping and "wink wink" statements that are coming out in the press during the news coverage. Mention talking to Russia and Saudi Arabia, boom the market responds. Mention an experimental drug, boom goes the dynamite. Could be an interesting exercise in follow the news/money.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    NOTHING TO SEE HERE....MOVE ALONG PEOPLE

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah, bad move, I don't get how we get catastrophic unemployment numbers. Like, a Great Depression's worth in 2 ****ing weeks that literally breaks all of the charts and the models, with literally no end in sight of the virus problem, and the market's like, yeah but "oil is up so...."

it's like the Wile E Coyote running off the cliff and still going straight in the air.

Or, maybe the stock market has gotten so divorced from the real economy of people not ****ing starving to death that it has become entirely irrelevant in terms of a health indicator. That's the other issue.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Stock market is nothing more than a game now. It does not correlate with prosperity for the vast majority of Americans.

Hakeemtheking and CCity Zero like this.
  11. Senator

Senator Member

It's the billionaire hedge funds and day traders, all heavily connected to government. I think the head of the SEC is married to Loeffler, who has no excuse to not be in jail. It's child's play for them to make these huge gains on fickle news that translates to a lot of money. There is nothing "economic" about the stock market.

Mazulis likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Starbucks rival in China has been rumored to be faking sales numbers for months, so this isn't exactly shocking. I can't wait to see what the investigation reveals. :D A 70%+ mid-day drop in the price of your stock would probably kill you faster than coronavirus would if that's one of the few stocks you owned :

Luckin Coffee Shares Plunge After China Launches Probe in Fake Sales Scandal

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/luckin-coffee-shares-plunge-after-fake-sales-investigation

Hakeemtheking, Sajan and Kim like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If whales (sovereign/mutual/pension/hedge funds) were whales, most of us are plankton. Credit is so cheap worldwide that most of their operators don't know what to do with the money to net a Great return.

That would be a nice infographic to whip up...

Pension funds in particular have been wringing out and drying up American industry and middle class for the sake of driving profits for their boomer investors. 7-8% returns among a modern economy's annual growth rate of 3%.

Yeah...that doesn't compel short term/sighted thinking.

More like Boiler Room Coffee

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That was a mess for sure, people got screwed in pre-market, just like a nosedive.

I fortunately didn't own... But Feel bad for those that did though.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

I hadn’t heard of them till last week when I saw it on a list of top stocks for 2020 (bull)sh** list.

I was like ya I am staying away from chinese companies. Then I saw someone say LK plummeting..i looked and it was diving down like a Boeing 737 max

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Too soon

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  18. adoo

adoo Member

the 65/60 put spread for SBUX has a good chance of expiring worthless on Apr expiration.
    same for the front leg of the 75 Call calendar

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I honestly thought about buying them last summer or so after their IPO, but procrastinated, then a couple of months ago I heard about somebody investigating them saying their sales numbers were probably bogus just based on observed foot traffic. I held off (thank God). Well, unless they find no wrong-doing... :D

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You’d have to think that today’s drop is linked to the jobs report. April’s jobs report is going to be 20x worse. Sure there’s money to be made. But the bottom has not even been close to hitting yet. Unless the entire market is being manipulated, that is.

Mazulis and Hakeemtheking like this.