1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stereo buffs?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Sep 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I have an old(er) pair of Klipsch Forte II's in terrific condition, and I've decided to take the plunge and buy a tube amp for them.

Are there any audiophile's here who know if there are any good tube amps sold in the Houston area? I know I could get a used one on ebay, but I'd like to go with new as I'm a beginner in this area.

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I am a huge audio enthusiast, but I know next to nothing about tube amps. I would suggest checking out/posting in the audio hardware sections of the following forums:

AVS Forum - most technical
    Digital theater Forum - my preferance
    Home Theater Forum

I have purchased used gear on ebay and audiogon.com. To me this was the most effective way of getting high end componets at a much lower cost. However, I think that tube amps may be more fragile that solid state amps. A good place to look for used high end stuff that is from a reputable store is at jeffssoundvalues.com

Edit: Here is some general advice
    If you are not completly set on tube's you may want to check out solid state amps. I have know idea which will sound the best with you speakers. Also keep in mind that deminishing returns set in at a certin price point.

Good luck in your search

#2 Kilgore Trout, Sep 13, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2002
  3. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Can't really help as far as new stuff goes, but just for the info: Audiogon is where I look for used equipment. They have the biggest selection I know of.

4. Doctor Robert

Whoops, looks like KT beat me on that one.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Thanks guys...I started my search a few weeks ago, and I had already stumbled across jeffssoundvalues.

The guys at the Klipsch forum (not a bad forum, actually) told me about audiogon. Tube amps are a bit fragile, so I do worry a little bit about having one shipped.

More than that though, I think I have an "issue" about buying used...especially when I'm looking at over a grand.

Maybe I need to just get over it.

6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I was also hesitant to buy larger items used. I have not personally been burned by it but you always take a chance. I feel safe buying on ebay only when the seller has a good positive feedback. With audiogon keep in mind that UPS will ship COD if the seller agrees. Use common sense, If a deal is too good to be true (like half of fair market value) it probably is.

Also look up the warranty policy of the amp you are thinking about buying. Some companies like Bryston have great transferable warranties.

7. Doctor Robert

Actually, I do know one person who knows tube amps. There is this guy who owns a used stereo shop in Austin called Circle Stereo and he buys/refurbishes tube amps constantly. If I were going to get one, I would probably go to him for some general advice at least. Be careful though, he'll talk your ear off... he is obsessed with old stereo equipment. I haven't bought anything from him because his restored transistor amps from the 70's are extremely inferior to equivalently priced modern NAD equipment. Every time I stop by he harasses me about my NAD stuff because he says the boxes are too small and prone to overheating, unlike good 70's stuff. It's like talking to someone who refuses to drive a fuel injected car. Amusing nonetheless.

8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I'm a huge audio enthusiast myself, but I don't know much about tube stuff. If you want to read up on stuff, I highly recommend www.audioreview.com. Tons of consumer reviews on almost everything. You're going to get extremely varied opinions on the whole tube issue, but I'm not going to contribute, because I haven't listened to many.

You are going to run into guys who will want to sell you older tube stuff. If you go that route, be certain that replacement parts, replacement tubes are available. You can get burned that way. And you will be replacing parts eventually.

I have another idea, if you get scared away from tubes- you can go solid state with your amplification, and get a tube preamp, which are commonly available. That can still give you some of that color that tube fans love.

9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Yay! Audio enthusiasts!

I'll put another vote in for Audiogon. I recently sold a B&K preamp, and I got a TON of replies to my sale (and eventually sold my unit to a guy locally). Sure, that doesn't say much about the supply side of Audiogon, but it does speak volumes about the site itself. It's a very popular site.

As for forums, I definitely recommend AVS Forum and Home Theater Forum. Another one not mentioned is Home Theater Spot.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Klipsch? Not bad Pole.

I used to own a pair of La Scalas. Sweet...sweet...

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'm not really a tube user -- but personally, I LOVE the old Sansui stuff from the 70s. Get a 9090DB on ebay and you'll be VERY VERY happy :)