1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Strasburg on the block

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by FLASH21, Oct 19, 2015.

?

Would you deal for Stras?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Hey guys, I know I rarely post here but I'm always following you guys' threads behind the scenes. To be completely honest I'm not sure how the salary system works for baseball compared to that of basketball and football. I also don't have much of a grasp on how many or how valuable minor leaguers are compared to current stars... so bare with me.

Just wanted to guage everyone's interest here on Stras. Would you guys want to go after him a year before becoming arb eligible? What would it take to land a guy of his talents? Would you be willing to give up said commodities and would he be worth the risk given his recent health concerns?

Hopefully this doesn't become a useless thread because I do love the Stros and hope we do everything in our power to take us to the next level.

Link
    http://m.yesnetwork.com/news/article/2015/10/18/154857034

RHP Stephen Strasburg could reportedly be dealt from the rebuilding Washington Nationals. (MLB)

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I said no...his injuries scare me.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't see the Nats going into a full rebuild... too many big names with big contracts on the current roster, so they'll probably look to get back established MLB talent.

They're only a year removed from back-to-back playoff appearances (where we all know anything can happen).

I like Strasburg... he may not be the for-sure HOFer that he was expected to be after his very first game, but he's a good power arm who gets a little bit slighted as of late due to some nagging injuries and his team falling short of expectations.

Prior to this season, he actually was on a pretty good health-streak building up to 215 innings last year. He also finished this year healthy.

But like I said before, I doubt the Astros have what the Nationals are looking for.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'd rather have their RFer....

I will be shocked - and a little disappointed - if the Astros invest heavy resources in their starting pitching.

5. ThaShark316_28

The Nats are so damned stupid sometimes.

Should have traded him LAST YEAR.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Like anything else, it depends on the cost. Our rotation is certainly good enough, and if McCullers can make a step forward, he could be close to what Strasburg is, but I certainly would have a conversation about a deal for Strasburg.

I'm fairly certain the Astros would balk at the cost. If the Nats don't get a huge prospect like Urias, or a young proven player like McCullers, I think they'd be making a mistake.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why?

They just came off a division championship, and were expected to be even better this year.

As it was, they still ended up with a winning record despite a second-half implosion (both on the field and off of it), and they still have a core that includes one of the best pitchers in all of baseball and an MVP who is younger than Springer/Altuve/Keuchel.

8. Nook

Nook Member

If I am the Nationals I consider keeping him next year, going into free agency if I do not get a package that includes quality starting pitching. The Nationals are almost certain to not resign him, and they do have a lot of free agents coming up. However, If I do not get a package that has something like a Tyson Ross and another piece or two, I let him enter free agency, take the #1 pick and see if I can win the WS next year.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

I'd swap Appel and pieces for Strasburg.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, but why would the Nationals do that?

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Because we share Spring Training facilities and want to do us a favor :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, those "pieces" would have to be substantial. Maybe Moran and Martes, or some combination of that nature.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, highly doubtful they go for prospects only.

Their window is now... I agree with Nook in the fact that they're probably just better off hanging on to him and taking the draft compensation after next year, unless they get some team to overpay for him with young established MLB players (and not sure who would really do that).

They could still very much win the NL next year with him in that rotation.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If the price is reasonable, then I'm game, but I voted "NO" because I'm assuming that the price is not going to be reasonable. Also, starting pitching is not even in the top 3 in terms of priorities going into this off-season. As long as McCullers continues to develop, we'll be in great shape.

14. ThaShark316_28

Think about this:

Had they moved him, they get a **** ton of ML-ready guys. You know they would have. More incentive to keep Zimmerman (even at a big price tag), and whoever might be coming along in a deal for SS. Also, with their injuries, they may have been deep enough to withstand some of their early issues, and not let it hurt them down the stretch. They are good, with or without him. He's gone after next season, so why not try and get some pieces for him?

I thought trading him last Winter was THE move, man.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm with this. And I voted "YES" because I'm pretty sure the answer is always going to be No if the price is unreasonable.

16. Nook

Nook Member

In hindsight perhaps they should have dealt him. However, they had every reason to believe that they would be a contender for winning the World Series. Indeed, they were probably the favorite going into this season.

Not every move pays off, but in general I think holding a player that is a huge part of your rotation is right if you are a legitimate World Series contender.

17. Nook

Nook Member

The problem I have is that he is going to be a free agent after this season.

18. ThaShark316_28

For sure on the "every reason to believe" part. Simply put, I thought they were contenders with or without him.

I thought they should have moved him because they were already deep in their rotation, and could get even better in spots that there may be trouble. Not to mention, impending Free Agency.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Was hoping Harper was on the block

20. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Just blue-skying and don't wanna derail, but would McCullers, Springer, and Appel get that done?