1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Kenneth Faried at the 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Philter_09, Feb 22, 2019.

?

Should we try starting Faried at the 4?

1. Yes

85.1%
  2. No

14.9%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The only problem Tucker has is he's playing too many minutes and we don't have a backup PF. Faried is so unbelievably terrible at defense, he is a backup nothing more. We were forced to play him at the 4 against the Lakers.

As the Bucks have shown, you can devise some sort of plan if your main guy can't shoot 3's. You can feed him in the mid range and he can start his work from there. Also courtesy of the Bucks, if your role players can't hit 3's then you are just screwing your prime attack up by overcrowding the center or letting the defense sag.

Sadly it would be an upgrade if Wilson Chandler was acquired.

HP3 likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The "thirst" for length has got people wanting to start Faried over Tucker. But it is not all about length. Intelligence counts too.

Faried starting in place of Tucker is not a good solution. The solution is starting HOUSE in place of EG. That is where the value add of length comes into play while STILL maintaining the intelligence on the court.

Faried's energy off the bench is maximized in this case.

3. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

Actually this thread states moving Tucker to the 3 spot so that “intelligence” would still be intact :)

But I do agree with bringing back House!

4. HP3

HP3 Member

you know this based off what? There is nothing to suggest he’s gonna be a 35% shooter and his permitted D is god aweful. He’s good for very short bursts.

5. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Tuck has been really inconsistent as opposed to last year. We all see him miss open corner 3s, get scored on by average players (he was getting lit up by NY's Trier, etc.). I think he's really suffering being the team's #1 defensive player. He thrives being the #2 or #3, and it's showing.

His perimeter defense is def better than faried's, but offensively he's giving us nothing, and his lack of rebounding on both sides is becoming a concern. I think we need to trim a few of his minutes in place of faried overall, but don't know about starting faried over him quite yet ... We just need more minutes for Faried, as he's a much better rebounder and giving us extra possessions because of it.

6. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

And I really don't think moving tucker to the 3 works ... he's not quick enough imo. He's spent most of his career being strong enough to not get bullied too bad by taller bigs, and quick enough to guard the faster 4's, but he's not stopping perimeter-oriented quick guys.

7. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I like where u are going op but I still keep eg in the starting spot. I think with Faried at the 4 I think it would make ego better he could be more of our klay type of guy coming off screens from Faried on one side while harden is pick n rolling on the other with clint

8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Again how is he being stupid lmao. If anything it proves he is needed so his demand for more money is validated. I really wish people would stop this narrative that his move was dumb. That's just not true. Morey tried to lock him in on a low contract (good for the rockets, not good for house) get that through y'alls heads. Fact he will get payed more after it's all said n done

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

We need length problem with Faried is he's not a good defender. I'm all about moving Gordon back to the bench. Our bench suck when Green isn't hitting his 3. Harden needs to run less iso now that CP3 and Capela are back. How is Clark doing in G-League? Let's see how well TJones is now.

10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lmao where have u been the last year and a half. That's exactly what we do. I know people ain't seen cp3 that much this year. But last year the stagger cp3 n harden. When it's just cp3 they do exactly what u mention. So good idea. Good thing they already thought of it

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

the CP3 aspect sure we do that... but we seldom go with a bigger front court - which was the main point... intermittently bulking up the front court (particularly when Harden sits) at the expense of spacing to throw a diff look at the defense and give a little more help to our defensive effort...

mike2k132 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sounds like a plan and we have virtually zero depth or little spacing at the big spots.

13. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I think he's burnt. The Rockets are asking him to do a lot and the burden of having to cover bigger guys and other stuff has got him running on fumes out there. Really, the whole team looks tired - even Harden is having more and more trouble getting those 30 point games, with his shots dinging off the front of the rim or airballing a couple per game.

s3ts likes this.
  14. s3ts

s3ts Member

Agreed. A lot of the roster is getting up there in age, and in mileage.

Andy Sheets likes this.
  15. BigBum

BigBum Member

Compared to last year
    Paul gordon declining on defense.
    Tucker declining on defense

Morris and Matthews are missing, both are low cost.
    Shumpert is high cost and terrible.

16. PWR

PWR Member

Absolutely. It's time to make a change in the lineup. Rather it be benching Gordon or Tucker (neither is dependable)...Faried should be starting at the 4 & playing minimum 30 minutes per game. I would probably bench Tucker if I had to choose.

My preference
    PG - Paul(30 mins), Harden(18 mins)
    SG - Harden(15 mins), Gordon(15 mins), Rivers(18 mins)
    SF - Gordon(15 mins), Shumpert(20 mins), Green(13 mins)
    PF - Faried(20 mins), Tucker(28 mins)
    C - Capela(32 mins), Faried(10 mins), Nene(6 mins)

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've heard girth is important too.

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Also when have we had two capable bigs that could play together

kjayp likes this.
  19. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Crazy how the useless **** we spent the deadline and 3 draft picks to get isnt even in the discussion

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

just sign house holy ****ing **** i dont get it