1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Apr 12, 2019.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

It really is hard to believe, in this day and age, they would leave that Princess Leah moment in the movie. You can understand not being able to cut young skywalker, or jar jar, but that was a simple edit or re-shoot. Yet, somehow it got in. And even worse, Star Trek tried it and made it at least watchable. I also find it hard to believe they left in the Han Solo name thing. sometimes you just get lucky like adding the Vader scene at the end of Rogue One, and it kicks ass, but on the reverse side, how they continue to leave in some of these major gaffs is surprising with so many eyes on it. I can forgive fat head vader because that would actually be scientifically accurate, even if not what we wanted, and we are still talking about a time when the movies were not as scrutinized for what resonates.

That said, Star Wars always delivers if you ask me. Even episode 1-3 are very re-watchable in their mediocrity.

Jontro likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

enjoyed the schitt outta tlj. tho the more i rewatch the more wtf i got, but still better than a boring tfa in comparison.

it's already a better trilogy than the prequel (tho much less imaginative), so will definitely watch.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

There was some really good commentary from Rian Johnson and other articles that helped illuminate the story for me, because I admit, after first viewing I didn't know what to think. But I feel, and hope, that in time Last Jedi will be appreciated for the incredible movie it is. Because, imo, it is one of the top Star Wars films because, not only is it well made, but it dares to be different.

The tone of the movie, the humor, is a bit unlike other films. And he's not afraid to turn some of the mythology on it's head. As Kylo Ren said, "let the past die. Kill it if you have to." The film did just that when it effectively destroyed the Jedi Order as we had come to know it. And there were hints in past films that their hubris and dogmatic beliefs could lead to their downfall. But Last Jedi took it further, by quite literally setting things on fire. We also saw the seeds being laid in Star Wars Rebels, and here again, Last Jedi expanded on the idea that the whole Light/Dark concepts, or rather that the Jedi own the light side and the Sith own the dark, is not the right way to think of the Force. Not only should the Force be seen as the balance between light and dark, but also that people themselves should be seen as neither light or dark but both as well. It's time to start thinking in shades of grey. We see that evident in both Rey, using her raw emotions to channel the Force sometimes, and Kylo, with is conflicting feelings. Luke even kept saying in his mentoring moments, "everything you just said is wrong." The old way of thinking of the Force and the Jedi needs to be buried.

And then there's the idea that this universe is far more than just the Skywalker family. I like the idea they planted, both in Rey's lineage, or lack thereof, and the final scene, that anyone can rise up and become part of the resistance, part of something greater. The safe thing would have been to make Rey a Skywalker or a Kenobi, etc. But she's a nobody. Yet, she can make a difference, she can be strong in the Force, this can be her story too.

The risk to turn Luke into a recluse disillusioned with the Force, which was entirely plausible.

And then the way it was filmed, the camera angles, battles and fight scenes...Rian Johnson gave us things we hadn't really seen before, and I commend him for it.

In the end, I just love Star Wars, and I hope I always will. I can find fault in just about all the movies, yes even the originals. But I'm not gonna get hung up on it. I just want to enjoy the ride!

BigM likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So now that hyperspace can be used to destroy everything, they should just remake A New Hope and crash and X-wing into the middle of the Death Star right after the intro text. Oh, wait .. If they wait a bit they can do it while Vader is on it, so we can perhaps get a Mary Poppins Vader scene.

Dark Rhino, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That was one of the least thought through twists I've ever seen.

justtxyank and CCity Zero like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All this being said... the last Jedi simply wasn’t a good movie.

They could have incorporated all of what you said, and had a much better plot without a bunch of useless scenes/plot-lines.

GRENDEL, Invisible Fan, BigM and 2 others like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, definitely agree.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well I completely disagree ha! I think it to be a pretty great movie actually, from a technical and artistic standpoint. It's not without its flaws, but I enjoyed the risks it took and thought it paid off well.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Laugh did nothing for me . . .. but simply make me roll my eyes at them doing another retread
    I am so sick and tired of the SkyWalkers/Solos . .. . ...
    There are no other people in the entire universe worth a ****???

Rocket River

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Nope.

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Not really sure how any one could like the "risks" that TLJ took. All of the things Junkyard said are why the movie sucked. I understand taking risks, but taking risks that have no merit in reality/fact is what spoiled the movie. Junkyard says making Luke into a disheveled lunatic was plausible? How was that plausible? This is the same person who lowered his weapon when being told to fight and refused in hopes that his father will turn?

Now that he is what, 30 years older, he all of a sudden loses his self control and tries to kill his young nephew due to a vision he sees? Luke of 30 years ago would think he can change his deadbeat father who has killed thousands of people but his 16 year old nephew who he probably knew Ben's whole life can not be "turned" so therefore I must kill him in the least honorable way possible? In his sleep? It would have made more sense if they explained why Luke went crazy? There really wasn't a good explanation based in fact of why he went crazy? Maybe all Jedi's become crazy with old age?

It just seems Rian Johnson took risks just to take risks and each of them failed miserably. I enjoy the gray area of movies but when the gray is boring and doesn't provide much explanation or screen time then it failed. Black and white characters would have been much better than the 50 shades of gray that Rian Johnson used to tell his story. One has to wonder, was Rian Johnson even a Star Wars fan?

Also, way too many unsubtle social justice issues in the movie that were so unbelievably unsubtle it was ridiculous. I go to movies to get away from social justice/politically correct as it is all around us these days. If it was used to progress the story or characters then that would have been cool but it wasn't. There were social justice scenes that really didn't add to the movie's appeal in any form or fashion.

Deuce, BigM and MadMax like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Artistry and technical execution are very small subsets of what makes an overall movie great. If you lack meaningful plot-lines, character development, story-telling skills, and possible plot-twists/cliff-hangers, there's really not much legs to stand on... regardless of the extra nuances/artistry/"risks" thrown in.

Please see @jakedasnake above post for a better synopsis of why TLJ just wasn't a good movie.

Also, in the end, Star Wars became the mega-universe it is today BECAUSE of those connections/mythologies/greek-like tragedies that you were so happy they "moved on" from... without them, there's really very little real audience connection to any of these characters. And that's a shame because I actually think Rey is the best Star Wars character since Vader... and they had plenty of opportunities to expand upon her lineage/mystery in the 2nd movie, and they did none of it (or chose to punt till the 3rd movie).

Deckard, Deuce, mikol13 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree. You and @JunkyardDwg should have a nice ol BBS back/forth debate.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Ha, I am sure I won't change his mind just like he won't change mine. I am not hating on someone for liking the movie. They are obviously welcome to have that opinion.

If they were entertained/enjoyed it then that is fine. To call it a "great" movie is where I would draw the line and butt in and argue when I have the time and energy. Not sure if anyone is claiming that but I have heard from people that "loved" the movie and I am always asking really? Loved it? You mean liked it or enjoyed it? I think "loved" or "great" are too strong of words for anyone to say about TLJ by any stretch of the imagination.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Also, the mention of the fight scenes being cool n TLJ. What fight scenes? I recall less than 5 minutes of the movie being fight scenes but maybe I misremembered. Maybe referring to the slowest galactic battle in history where the lazers couldn't quite reach the Republic ship(s). Oh so close.

Or maybe the 30 minute spinoff of "Finn and Rose Save the Planet - A Star Wars Story"?

Deckard likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Don't forget Kamikaze light speed attacks and firing all lasers on force apparitions.

17. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

I'm pretty certain that George Lucas had originally intended the Star Wars saga to primarily focus on the Skywalker family (although there is some debate if it were to be told in 6 or 9 parts). It's not until fairly recently that we've had successful offshoots if you will like Rogue One and Star Wars Rebels (which was amazing) brought to us in something other than print format which broaden the universe.

18. Buck Turgidson

Haven't rewatched it in a while, but I still have no ****ing idea what that was all about.

Deckard, MadMax and Rocket River like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@JunkyardDwg is being reasonable. However, the "muh star wars" folks will be unconvinced. This is a hill they will die on and that's just the way it is. The idea that, for example, 30 years + traumatic events + a traumatic past have influenced a person's disposition is unfathomable to them.

The movie wasn't perfect, obviously. Rose was meh, and Del Toro and Dern were either unnecessary or distracting (I can't decide which).

I don't stress about it though because I don't have the time or energy to argue about it. Opinions differ, and that's ok, it's just a movie. And further, as you said:

Also, I do wonder if this last movie will run back to the Star Wars safe space, so as to not offend those who were offended by TLJ. Emperor is back, Luke is Yoda-ish, etc. Hell, Rey might be a Skywalker after all!

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In canon, doesn't Palpatine's spirit take over a child's body after he dies at the end of VI? Maybe that child is Rey? That would be kind of cool.

mikol13 likes this.