1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sri Lanka explosions: Over 300 killed as churches and hotels targeted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 21, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trump espouses white supremacist rhetoric. From creating false stories of Muslims in the thousands celebrating 9/11 in the streets of Jersey City, to desiring a complete ban of a religious group from entering the US, to using his political rallies as glorified police blotters pointing out every anecedote of a brown person killing a white person in order to rile up the hatefilled jingoist juices of his rally attendees, to tweeting false infographics about black on white crime where the infographic was authored by self labeled white nationalists, to using the border as the number one talking point in national discourse and creating a false crisis where the solution is merely hiring more judges, to unprecedentedly pardoning a sheriff who violated a court order to cease and desist violating the 4th amendment of citizens by illegally detaining citizens based on appearance before he even was sentenced...

Need I go on? I can go on. I don't know what ideologies Trump genuinely holds in his noggin. All I know is he panders to white supremacists all the time.

#61 fchowd0311, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Nippystix likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

Yes and her solution to Islamic terrorism is not doing the same thing we did for two decades that have only resulted in MORE extremists, MORE attacks AFTER the supposed solution was implemented.

There is actual nuanced discussion on how isolated young Muslims become radicalized. Her wanting a different angle of approach to solve these problems doesn't make her an ISIS sympathizer.

3. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, I choose not to go down a twisted rabbit hole of your creation.

I've made my thoughts on the subject known.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. mick fry

mick fry Member

A sympathizer is exactly what she is and for you to keep pushing the narrative that Trump is a racist because the immigrants that are flooding the border happen to be brown is ridiculous. If poor Asians were flooding the Alaskan border by the millions do you think he would be ok with that?

6. fchowd0311

If the solution to the border "crisis" where a massive backlog of asylum requests from individuals voluntarily giving themselves up was to either to request more judges to alleviate the backlog or change asylum laws through Congress so the law doesn't explicitly state that we must hear all asylum requests and the president instead creates a false narrative of needing more security while also labeling asylum seekers as rape and violence prone individuals relative to the gen pop, yes then it's safe to make a claim that he is using white supremacist tactics to dictate national discourse that shapes white supremacist rhetoric.

I've also listed several other instances in my earlier post you can read.

7. fchowd0311

You seriously believe Omar is a ISIS sympathizer because she wants a different approach to an obviously failing attempt to mitigate extremism?

Do you think that before these people joined ISIS, they were human brings that were influenced by their environment? If so, then Omar is merely asking how they get to a position where they have a desire to become ISIS members.

If you think that is "sympathising with ISIS" you are a bigot.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He panders to all types of people. Yes, he isnt the the most politically correct like obama but he isnt the devil you interpret him to be.

9. Cohete Rojo

The answer is yes and that “environment” is Islam — plain and simple.

Bin Laden and Zawahiri were college educated — and the later was an attorney who came from a family of doctors.

There have been “extremists” from all backgrounds.

10. fchowd0311

So what differentiates the millions who don't follow their route and the thousands who do?

You are being intentionally obtuse here and obviously are not trying to find a pragmatic solution.

11. fchowd0311

Ahh... brush all criticisms of pandering to white supremacists like creating false stories of thousands of Muslims celebrating in the streets of Jersey City during the 9/11 attacks as "politically incorrect".

K

12. Cohete Rojo

Many Muslims agree with these terrorists.

They agree that death is the appropriate punishment for apostasy, taxes on unbelievers, etc.

13. fchowd0311

True, but what differentiates the millions who don't join these groups and the thousands who do?

You don't think there are factors in play outside of merely "he's Muslim" that makes someone an extremist?

Why isn't my mom a jihadist extremist?

14. HTM

HTM Member

It's hard to say right?

It isn't necessarily a question of money or education. We have seen Jihadist's with lots of money and education and we have seen Jihadist's with no money and no education and everything in between.

How do we get folks to stop teaching and believing in an interpretation of Islam which calls for so many wicked things?

It may not be the majority of believers, but Islam, around the world, oppresses and denies human rights and dignities to hundreds of millions of people.

15. fchowd0311

This really isn't a statistical analysis. Saying that educated extremists merely exist doesn't mean that concludes "extremism is not effected by level of education".

If we did an actual statistical analysis rather than mere anecodtes of individuals cases to see whether there is a coorelation between extremism and education in the Muslim community, do you think we would see one?

I do know for certain that American Muslims are the most secular group of Muslims that exist and we have one of the smallest percentages of extremist jihadists. Coincidentally American Muslims are probably the most educated and we'll well off Muslims that exist.

I do know in my parent's home country of Bangladesh, there is a much larger percentage of extremists and that nation has a large poverty issue.

Do doctorate held Muslim extremists exist? Yes, but I'm quite confident that they are under-representated in the extremist circles.

Toy can find ones and twosies examples of anything.

16. HTM

HTM Member

I think the question of education is an interesting one.

Poverty will always be amongst us so if the answer is "end poverty" - well, that's not gonna happen.

Additionally, I think most high profile attacks that have occurred in Western Europe in the last decade or so have been committed by second generation Muslim immigrants who have been born, raised and educated in Western Europe. Obviously thousands went to fight for ISIS as well. That's pretty scary to think they have been so thoroughly exposed to a free and secular society and they still choose the path they do.

17. TheresTheDagger

Sam Harris in this now 5 year old appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher does a good job of explaining the "differentiation".

Here's a link to a Reddit link that has the video que'd up to the right time stamp.

https://www.reddit.com/r/samharris/duplicates/aobuki/sam_harris_uses_geometry_concentric_circles_to/

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

“You also had some very fine people on both sides.”

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It has, and it doesn't. As a side note, education doesn't actually reduce ones proclivity to extremism, or biases in general, and it often increases it (e.g. university professors are extremely high on bias on topics that aren't their expertise)

The strategy advocated for is the one used by western europe, which is a failed strategy, not only do they get the islamic terrorism, but they also then have to deal with reactionary forces from their existing population, and given the responsibilities of government, there probably couldn't be a "more failed" strategy than one that not only imports problems, but creates ones from their own population that didn't need to exist.

The only successful european strategy is the one used by many of those former eastern bloc countries, ergo, just say no, they have for obvious reasons, a much more acute sensitivity to totalitarian ideologies. To quote a friend of mine, a leftie for life mind you, when he visited his family in Bulgaria, "I don't have to worry about terrorism, they don't let them in the country".

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member