1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sri Lanka explosions: Over 300 killed as churches and hotels targeted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 21, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And there is a difference between crazy Muslims from poor third world nations causing chaos and violence vs the leader of the "free world" being a poster child for modern white supremacist ideology.

The latter is far more within our means of influence to control and prevent.

Nippystix likes this.
  2. HTM

HTM Member

It's been established it was Thowfeek Jamaath that carried out the attack.

3. Buck Turgidson

Thanks, I missed that. It was assumed as much, so it doesn't really change my point at all.

4. HTM

HTM Member

Why don't you go ahead and quote me. You can't keep anything straight obviously. I've made like 3 posts in this thread. It isn't hard to find anything I've actually said.

I never said it wasn't being covered because it was a an Islamist terrorist attack.

I made the point that White Nationalist attack occured a month ago on Muslims in their places of worship and the thread had X10 the replies this one has had.

That is a fact.

mick fry likes this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

So extremists acting in the name of Islam killing 300 Christians is NBD.. nothing to see hear folks, just another day in the neighborhood but a White Nationalist attacking and killing 50 Muslims now that's important?

mick fry likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

Obviously what I'm going to type here I'm sure you will vehemently disagree with but let me ask you one question first.

Do you think clutch fans posters here have some affinity towards Islam?

Or... Hear me out here...

Maybe we care more about these attacks because we have a political party and president who's rhetoric often mimics white nationalists and the attackers? We don't really have that with Islamic terrorists do we...

Maybe as American citizens we have more agency in preventing white nationalist terrorist attacks.

And seeing as how more jihadists have been created and Islamic terror attacks have occured AFTER the "war on terror" than before maybe the solution to Islamic terror is not to shake the hornets nest.

#46 fchowd0311, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  7. fchowd0311

Nothing to see here? Post your desired solutions.

I've posted mine.

8. Buck Turgidson

I don't remember you going apoplectic at the lack of discussion the last time Muslims blew up other Muslims, or Hindus or whoever...

Why do you only care about Christians?

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

So Omar should burden as much responsibility for this incident with her rhetoric. Right? If you want to keep spouting off Trump white nationalist bs then accept the other side.

Astrodome likes this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

I actually don't particularly care about Christians.

I noticed this thread and shared my thoughts. I guess I could do that in every thread on every message board on the interwebz but we all only have so much time right?

11. fchowd0311

What part of her rhetoric do you have a problem with? Can you quote?

I think calling her an Islamophobe for calling out Saudi money influence in our politics is a bit of a stretch if that was what you were going to point out.

12. HTM

HTM Member

Not particularly.

I think the vast majority of posters in D&D are left wing folks who get mighty uncomfortable when Islamic extremism is the subject, much like Democratic politicians, they feel a need to walk on egg shells and they squirm in their chairs when confronted with these things and it's easier to just essentially ignore the topic and ignore the threads. Maybe put out some sort of bland "Thoughts and Prayers" but a right-wing terror attack? Oh boy, buckle up. They got something to say.

That's fairly obvious to me. The amount of discussion we've seen from these separate incidents supports that.

13. fchowd0311

What is your solution to Islamic terror attacks?

Maybe you believe it's liberal bias to protect Muslims. Do you also think it could be that as Americans we simply just have more agency in quelling White nationalist rhetoric and terror and when there is more agency involved, there is more discussion on how to stop it?

Do you think it can merely be "solve our own backyard's problems first"?

#53 fchowd0311, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  14. HTM

HTM Member

I don't have a solution on how to end any type of hateful ideology. I don't know that anyone does. Hopefully the people of the world grow out of it but I'm not so sure.

I've already made it clear why I think this thread is far less active than the Mosque attack thread.

I think left wingers, who make up the majority of the posters here, are uncomfortable discussing Islamic extremism. That's a difficult subject that is better left to an "ignore" or quick "T&P"

That has been the trend with the left for years and years. Islam inspired terrorist attack? Meh. Maybe one T&P tweet. White Nationalist inspired attack? OMG the world is burning down. Fire up the twitter machine.

15. fchowd0311

You are just going to ignore everything else I typed?

Not touching my argument about agency?

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

17. fchowd0311

She has familiar connections. Is this the Kevin Bacon 6 degrees of separation game?

I'm not ever planning on running for office but I'm pretty sure if I did, your same right wing attacks dogs would find some "terrorist links" from some random great uncle who donated to a Mosque that had a terrorist preach a sermon one day. Probably would also say that I served as a Marine grunt as a internal spy for jihadists.

And the other narrative that she went "easy on terrorists" is laughable. She believes that radicalized young people who were trying to join ISIS(haven't joined yet) deserve some form of compassion because what we've been doing obviously hasn't been working is not "supporting ISIS".

So do you think she's an Islamophobe for attacking the Saudi lobbying power in the US?

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Mosque shooting thread branched into a number of discussion points not related to the mosque shootings including whether or not a Toyota Camry hybrid gets 100 MPG.

body slam likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Well you keep spouting that trump is for white supremacy....

Stop it. He is not.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dude stop making **** up.

“The best deterrent to fanaticism is a system of compassion,” she wrote. “We must alter our attitude and approach; if we truly want to effect change, we should refocus our efforts on inclusion and rehabilitation.”

The suspects were accused of planning to travel to Syria to join ISIS in 2015. The men were facing decades-long sentences, and one of them admitted that he was going to join the terrorist group. “I was not going there to pass out medical kits or food. I was going strictly to fight and kill on behalf of the Islamic State,” he explained.