1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports by Brooks] Beadle OUT for NBA Countdown

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

*Bad teammate*

"Her failure to promote the program on outside venues combined with her virtual no-show to the much-hyped morning show “Get Up!” has branded her a bad teammate and put her position in question."

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article232388592.html

As The New York’s Andrew Marchand has reported and we’ve also heard, Paul Pierce is at serious risk of not returning to ABC’s and ESPN’s NBA Countdown. One person we’ve heard ABC/ESPN officials like: Richard Jefferson, who does work for ESPN’s Get Up morning show and other programming. Chauncey Billups could move to game broadcasts.

Another move that could be made eventually, if not this year, is Maria Taylor replacing Michelle Beadle as studio host. Beadle has time left on her contract, so she still could return. The New York Post reported internal disenchantment with Beadle’s reluctance to promote other ESPN programming, and a source did not dispute that.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm flabbergasted that she was making $5 million a year. Do I think popular, sought after media personalities should get PAID? Yes. Is Beadle that? Not in any way to me. When I re-clicked in this thread I couldn't put a face to a name until I was reminded with the twitter post.

Is she some really well known and loved personality ala a SAS or Greenberg? What am I missing?

Couldn't she be replaced on any show tomorrow and ESPN's viewership wouldn't really change much if at all?

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Here's the question that's burning me up: why in the ever-loving **** would she be opposed to promoting other ESPN content??? If it wasn't for ESPN, this lady would probably be stuck pushing high school sports for her local San Antonio network. Instead, she's a mainstay on the biggest sports network in the world, she gets to gallivant with A and B list celebs and athletes, she gets paid HANDSOMELY, and she works a job that really entails very little external stress. So again, why the HELL would she be opposed to promoting other shows on that same network?? It just makes her look like a snively, entitled brat.

5. TheresTheDagger

Good news. Beadle was insufferable as she made her fandom AND dislike of certain teams obvious. It would be ok if it was in a lighthearted way, but it never was. I always felt like watching her was watching someone who deeply disliked the Rockets.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

On the same topic I've been saying this for a while, washed up former players don't make good TV analysts at all.

Regardless of what people may say on this board, I have no interest in hearing any of these guys speak.

Shaquille O'Neal
    Kevin Garnett
    Scottie Pippen
    Paul Pierce
    Tracy McGrady
    Chauncey Billups
    Jalen Rose
    Stephen Jackson
    Jason Williams

Some of them are clowns, others are longwinded and scatterbrained, yet they're all equally terrible with very little actual insight on basketball.

If you are going to sell former players as serious commentators and analysts, then you need to find a Tony Romo type.

That's why I think ESPN should consider grooming Kobe into a primetime role. He's smart, articulate, and provides good analysis of the game without all the stupid distractions. He's someone I'd actually want to listen to. Black Mamba can hold your attention on television.

Meanwhile, ESPN is too busy trying to copy the Dumb & Dumber routine Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley have perfected over at TNT.

RustyHarden, da_juice and UTSA2step like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m not sure how long she’s had the $5 million a year but assuming at least two... she has plenty of financial security. Maybe she doesn’t care if she ever works again.

da_juice likes this.
  8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

ESPN is going latina if you haven't noticed. Nothing wrong with this, but interesting how the demographics played into this. FOX is also leaning latina

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

In for Maria Taylor, she'd be a wonderful upgrade

10. junk151

junk151 Member

If you want the show to be all about the Lakers, sure.

da_juice, J Sizzle and justtxyank like this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes she's very well known. "Popular" would depend I guess, but she has brand awareness for sure. She had a pretty good rep on THIS board for a long time until her San Antonio fandom go out of control. She was considered an attractive, fun, sporty, witty studio host.

macho GRANDE and da_juice like this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Eff that B. How she kept getting big gigs on pretty big shows was beyond me.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

FWIW, I don't think Beadle is the problem with Countdown (although I don't like her anymore either, I just think they have more problems than her), but the reports during the season were that she didn't even care about the NBA really outside of the Spurs. The article in February I think it was pointed out that she had tweeted as much about her vacation in one week as she had all year about the NBA. She's just not an NBA obsessed person. Today's media needs you to do tv and social media.

Personally I think they need an entirely new format. Female host letting a couple of recently retired players react to the day's news and then make predictions is kind of played out. Rachel Nichols has totally taken over as an NBA personality. Her format is way better. Her show feels fun and relevant and takes on serious issues. Countdown seems boring and completely unimportant.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I know she has a problem with the NFL and didn’t want to discuss it and even said she didn’t even watch the he games.

That’s why she was let go from Get Up.

But tbh she’s wack, super annoying and talks to much ****.

I’m surprised they might let Chauncey go but i guess they might put him in the booth for color commentary.

Rose ain’t going nowhere he’s got his own show on espn is on get up also and his wife hosts first take.

I don’t have a problem with jalen he actually goes against what a lot of the Espn media ppl think which is refreshing.

Same with Greenberg, I thought it was cool that he thought it was insane that anyone would got Giannis over Harden for mvp.

lilbird20 likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sounds like Beadle was out because she didn't play the game. As much as Jalen and Greenberg say what they feel and don't seem like shills for the network, they promote the hell out of ESPN and stay away from politics if it isn't directly impacted by the sports they cover.

16. Asian Sensation

Where’s Hannah Storm fine ass at? Bring her back.

[​IMG]

17. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Yes! Can't stand her.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Chauncey Billups is good. Brent Barry is another good one.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Inside the NBA is just somebody at TNT plugging in the complete DVD collection of "Family Matters".

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Or bring her front, I'm good with either.