1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SportingNews]James Harden's new offensive weapon that no one is talking about

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Invisible Fan, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

James Harden's new offensive weapon that no one is talking about
    Written By Scott Rafferty
    5-6 minutes
    The San Antonio Spurs entered their matchup with the Houston Rockets in the second round of the 2017 NBA Playoffs with a clear plan. It evolved and became more refined as the series progressed, but the general idea was this: Kawhi Leonard would chase James Harden over every screen and whichever one of Pau Gasol and LaMarcus Aldridge were involved in the pick-and-roll would drop back to the paint, where they could use their long arms to alter shots at the rim.

In doing so, San Antonio took away the pull-up 3s and drives Harden lived on during the regular season, baiting him to instead settle for midrange pull-ups and floaters; the former being a shot he still rarely takes to this day and the latter being one he has historically struggled with.

The strategy worked.

Harden averaged 24.5 points per game in the series - almost five points fewer than his season average - on 41.4 percent shooting from the field and 30.8 percent from 3-point range.

"Everything falls on my shoulders," Harden said after missing nine of his 11 shot attempts in Game 6. "I take responsibility for it, both ends of the floor. It's tough, especially the way we lost at home for Game 6. But it happened and we move forward."

While the Spurs advanced to the Western Conference Finals, Harden did move forward by re-tooling his game in a way that would lead to him becoming perhaps the league's most unstoppable offensive force.

How exactly? Not by taking a higher percentage of his shots from midrange - that'll likely never happen, especially under Mike D'Antoni's watch - but by turning the floater that was once his greatest weakness into a strength.

In addition to knocking them down at a 50.0 percent clip this season, Harden has already made more floaters in 47 games than he did in 81 games in 2016-17 and 72 games in 2017-18. It's become a legitimate weapon for the seven-time All-Star.

James Harden's floater continues to improve
    Season
    Games Floaters Made Floaters Attempted FG%
    2015-16 82 33 74 44.6
    2016-17 81 42 105 40.0
    2017-18 72 46 91 50.5
    2018-19 47 47 94 50.0​

It's still not a shot you'll see Harden make multiple times on a nightly basis, but it's one that makes him practically unguardable when the step-back 3-pointer he has become famous for is falling - and it has for most of this season. Particularly during his recent stretch of 30-point games, several teams have resorted to picking Harden up far beyond the 3-point line and pressing up on his left side in an effort to take his signature step-back away.

The Milwaukee Bucks are one of the teams to have adopted that approach. It led to sequences like this, in which Milwaukee took a page out of San Antonio's book and put their own spin on it by giving Harden a wide open lane to the basket:

upload_2019-2-3_2-35-13.gif
    Eric Bledsoe, who was Harden's primary defender for most of the game, admitted to doing as much afterwards, saying his focus was on keeping Harden off the 3-point line and forcing him to take 2-pointers.

"It wasn't even trying to stay in front of him," Bledsoe continued. "It was almost like, 'You can have the lane.'"

The difference now, of course, is Harden has that trusty floater he can go to against the drop coverages he once didn't have an answer for.

upload_2019-2-3_2-35-13.gif
    Harden drained five of his six floater attempts that game, including one in crunch time that turned it into a one-possession game. He did more of the same against the Toronto Raptors two weeks later, with five of his nine made field goals on the night being floaters.

Harden can do more than just score in those situations. Had Brook Lopez rotated over sooner to contest either of those floaters, he would've lobbed the ball to Clint Capela standing underneath the basket for a dunk. Had Giannis Antetokounmpo or Sterling Brown rotated over to take that option away, Harden would've gifted whichever one of his teammates was unguarded with a wide open 3-pointer.

In other words, Harden has developed an answer to every coverage he's likely to face.

What's funny is the Bucks actually did a better job of defending Harden than most teams have this season. An off night for him just isn't what it once was. In this case, he almost willed an under-manned Rockets team to a victory over the Eastern Conference-leading Bucks with 42 points (13-30 FG), 11 rebounds and six assists.

Harden also turned the ball over nine times, but it didn't stop the Rockets from being neck-and-neck with the Bucks in his 40 minutes on the court.

It goes to show how complete of a player Harden has become since that nightmare of a series in 2017 and how one of the NBA's biggest stars continues to add to his game.

luckyman76, Clutch, D-rock and 18 others like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Where do they get that stat from? I didn't notice them cite it from anywhere.

3. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Harden's floater looks awkward and odd, but it's effective and we've had the pleasure of seeing him use it more and more as the season goes on.

I'm also glad that he brought back the mid-range stepback from the 14-15 season...an already unguardable player adding (and re-integrating) elements to his offense should have the rest of the league pissing themselves.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It should get even better with greater use. The floater that he hit to end the game against OKC was a real beauty. Kudos to you, for mentioning the mid-range step back. It helped us out with the shot clock running down against the Utah Jazz. They weren't expecting it.

Deckard, fattz, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rafer would love to see that tear drop.

saleem likes this.
  6. MD_in_Training

It’s actually great that it’s unorthodox because it confuses defenses. You literally don’t know until the ball is mid air whether it’s a floater or a lob to Capela.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yeah man, that midrange stepback is lethal.

saleem likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

saleem likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Float like a butterfly, Sting like the beard.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah he's been killing it with the floater the last few weeks. It really can be huge when there's too much traffic around the rim. He really does try to shore up any potential offensive weaknesses.

The mid-range step back is also a weapon that he needs to go to more often in crunch time. Over the course of the first 46 minutes the step back 3 has the math advantage, but late in the game when 2 points is critical it's a better shot.

11. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't even think of it that way. When Capela gets back, with James' new and improved floater in his arsenal, players like Rudy Gobert or KAT will have no answer whatsoever.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

More often than not, Harden's teammates re-gift the ball to the other team, in the form of a brick. If only the others could hit at a consistent rate.

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Is there a shot he isn’t proficient at?

Basically the only thing he doesn’t do is try to low post anybody, which would be like completely unsurprising to see him develop. In spurts it could be a good way to get him going, or to save some legs or to just get a couple buckets, give the defense yet another worry. I wouldn’t want to see a lot of it because the majesty of Harden right now is working off the 3pt line. Although, what pitcher needs a 6th pitch lol....this guy is too damn good.

D-rock and jcf like this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good to see someone else notice. The floater is not awkward and is getting better by the day. It also will prolong his career as the plowing into the big guys who half the time get away with just bashing him to the floor without a foul being called must take its toll.

smp and jcf like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another weapon is use his gut and butt to bang with Centers and bigs.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I actually almost made a thread about this shot last week. He doesn't use it often, but he definitely brings it out when the 3 isn't falling and they're taking away the layup. I almost wish he would shoot it more just to keep the defense guessing, but I suppose it's a lower percentage shot if the layup is there. :)

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He tends to use that only when he rebounds a layup he misses. If Harden was 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier Lebron would go down in bball history as a poor mans' Harden.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You know, I've noticed that floater but really hadn't thought much about it. But now that I think on it he's right; that's yet another new weapon for Harden.

How did he win MVP last year and come back even better with MULTIPLE new moves we've never seen him do before? The step back is on a new level. The side step is brand new. And now I'm realizing the floater is a new weapon he's been utilizing to great success.

I'm really starting to wonder if he isn't the greatest Rocket ever. I hesitate to say that because Hakeem is god. But I'm not sure it's even fair to compare him to Hakeem because Hakeem played in an era in which the best teams MIGHT have a superstar duo. Jordan & Pippen, Stockton & Malone, Kevin Johnson and Barkley, Shaq & Penny. Etc.

Harden is playing in an era in which the Warriors are literally running out five All-Stars as starters. Last year it was four. The few years before that it was three.

I don't know, man. Hakeem is legendary and his legacy is sacred but Harden is not of this world either. It's really becoming a discussion worth having.

19. SemisolidSnake

I was talking about Harden's floater a few games ago. *wraps self in smug blanket* *is still so cold...and alone*

Harden's a total offensive player. Total. He has the tool to best you, person trying to guard him. Pick a god and pray.

Seriously, everyone on the team needs a floater. It's one of the hardest shots in the game to defend. If you have open space between the free throw line and the arc under the basket, and you pass out to the three-point line (as I've seen plenty of our guys do), I hate you for that. FLOAT IT IN.

D-rock likes this.