1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: For Rockets players, a championship contender is already on hand

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Sherlock31

Sherlock31 Member

This group needs to play together for like 2 more years and get a dead eye shooter and a good back up PF/C, then we can start talking about contending.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We do put a lot of emphasis on the 3pt shot. And so we need to be better than a mere 34.5%.

Whether that is Morey's trade deadline mandate only time will tell.

Equal arguments suggest a wing defender and a back up 5 (if Omer isnt going to play) are also important.

I would be shocked though if Morey sits on his hands come trade deadline time and doesn't address one of these needs though.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If only we managed to snag Anthony Morrow this offseason. He went to Pelicans for the vet minimum.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sorry not buying it yet.

We have been through this drum-beat a few years ago.

5. bmd

bmd Member

I disagree with this first part.

Howard certainly has helped the half-court offense.

The Rockets have slowed their pace down compared to last year and their half-court game is better than it was.

1 person likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You mean, we have a half-court game now :)

7. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

We are no way anywhere near being a contender. Anyone who thinks so are just dreamers. Nothing wrong with that until you wake up from your dreams.

We have too many flaws that can be exploited in every game. Too many for me to list and I am sure they had been listed many times before in other threads.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

When fully healthy and Asik is playing, we are close. But lets not pretend other teams don't have exploitable weaknesses also.

1 person likes this.
  9. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Won't be championship material until we get a legitimate coach. No offense to McHale, basketball is about making adjustments. McHale's just not the type of coach that's capable of making the necessary adjustments that'll get us over the top

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

We're a dangerous 3-pt shooter, and a healthy, gruntled (I know, I know, not a real word) Omer Asik away from being a legitimate title contender. Adding a premiere perimeter defender would be awesome, but I think we can get by with what we have defensively if we add the other 2 pieces first.

11. Sirton

Sirton Contributing Member

Depends who we match up against

12. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

If Asik is here to stay and changes his mindset I have no doubt his impact will be known. The dude just wants playing time!

13. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Playing time? There are plenty of minutes available to an inspired, motivated Asik on this team. He is neither inspired nor motivated...and apparently more than willing to hold the franchise hostage to his demands.

Playing time...get real

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind a tweak or two, but nothing major. The Rockets need continuity. Let's get Bev and Asik in the mix before anything is done. I see flashes of cohesion, but more lapses. We haven't seen the "best" of this group yet, not even close, but there are flashes of brilliance. If they ever have a great team game, somebody is going to get blown out. Now, they take turns having big games. If Dwight is on, Harden is off. If Harden is on, Lin is off, etc. Even the bench is on and off. Parsons and Jones are actually the most consistent pieces at present.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol not happening until the organization is starting to get higher profile and consistent role players instead of minimum players all the while.

and those stars have to play on a higher level than that atm.
    Lin has to maintain his 16 ppg 6 assists but that is a huge question mark.

16. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I agree with most posters here.

the team just needs more consistency on the roster. a few minor changes on the role players should be enough to propel this team to great heights.

few things that needs to happen:
    1. better back up C/PF
    2. better back up wing
    3. no more major injuries

thats it!

if these happen and we keep the current roster mostly intact, nba better watch out as the rockets will be on par with the Pacers team record next year.