1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Bids9

Bids9 Member

So we would basically be relying on Melo becoming our Gordon spark off the bench then. He gets to be the alpha dog in the 2nd unit, could suit him if hes willing to accept the role.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh two very much unproven guys are assumed to be able to replicate the role, especially against GS.

what a nice assumption based on nothing but a guess

craguin likes this.
  3. bmd

bmd Member

With Jimmy Butler, I would 100% not want Melo anymore. 3 players is about the max for your main players who will have the ball the majority of the time. Everyone else needs to have a more specialized role such as 3-point shooting, catching lobs, cutting, etc. Everything would have to run through CP3, Harden, and Butler, and there wouldn't be any room for Melo to get his shots. He'd be useless.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

consider we might not even need to beat gsw to become champs eg jazz beats them before wcf

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hey, you hit some and you miss some. I also said Lowry should start over Brooks because he is way better, and that Terrence Jones would be out of the league. Anyways, weren't you the one who... oh nevermind, you're nobody.

meh and hakeem94 like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The idea is that there's a certain "replaceability" factor in NBA trades; you're always trying to trade up to a higher currency. Even if two guys together are great, you trade them up for the guy in the higher scarcity bracket. You can replace what PJ and Eric give you. Not easily, but you can. It is very hard to attain a star in his prime, so you pull the trigger and then worry about how to backfill the guys in the lower talent bracket.

Think of it as trading two Porsche 911s for a Porsche 918.

It's a tough trade if you really love those cars. But you do it because 911s are much more common.

Relativist and kevC like this.
  7. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Why are u folks worried about our second unit or whether we have enough basket to go around?

Let's wait til we get Jimmy first. I am sure Morey and DA will figure out the rest.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

CF in 2017: "Luc M'Bah a Moute and PJ Tucker? They're decent defenders, right? Whatever, bring 'em in and hope for the best."

CF in 2018: "WE CAN'T POSSIBLY SURVIVE WITHOUT LUC AND PJ!!!"

9. napalm06

I would absolutely HATE to lose Tucker, and Gordon too.

But thinking of Paul-Harden-Butler-Melo-Capela out there at times... and then you have Knight as your creator off the bench. That's really something. You build around that.

Y2JT and BMoney like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

How about nothing and let's keep the team we have?

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I try to make the deal without Tucker. Just think he’s too Important to the teams success in the immediate future. Tucker is a guy that brings that intensity every single night.

Yes I know Butler is a star, but we still need guys like Tucker to win a Chip imo.

Try to do it with Gordon, young talent and pics.

12. Rockets34Legend

We got ****ing Melo at the 3, which is a huge hole on D. Already pissed Bzdelik is retiring, and now getting rid of EG and PJ?

What the ****? Their goes our D.....

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

do you really not think that adding a talent like butler outweighs losing someone like tucker (who i love, btw)??? butler is an all-star pushing superstar level two way player... this is a no-brainer.

Y2JT, CapelaOnlyFan and Mathloom like this.
  14. Rockets34Legend

What is Jimmy Butler going to do to make up for what we're going to lose with EG and PJ? **** that if I'm giving up our D strength for more high powered offense.

15. photojoe

photojoe Member

After LeBron, you have Steph, Durant and Harden as the next best players in the NBA. People can argue about which is better than which, and there are legit arguments for any of those three, but they are all so close that it is hard to make a call. CP3 is in a tier right below that, mainly because of age and injuries.

So, even though I am a biased Rockets homer, I think you have to give the edge to Steph+Durant over Harden+CP3.

However, Butler is much, much, much better than Thompson or Green. Way better.... and I'm just hoping that Cousins doesn't fit or isn't healthy.
    He is a better defender than Ariza, Luc or Tucker (although yes, he doesn't have the size or strength to have the versatility of guarding big like Tucker does.) In addition to that, he is way, way better on offense than any of those three. Not even close.

CP3, Harden, Butler and Capela would be straight up sick. Seriously. That is just insane to think about.

If we were somehow able to get Butler, it would be possible that out of the 12 all stars from the Western Conference, 8 of them would be from two teams.

Y2JT, htownrox1, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  16. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Biggest question for me is, why was Butler in the Bahamas during the Rockets meet. Was it a coincidence, or did a meeting take place with a game plan?

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Jimmy Butler: 2nd Team All-Defensive Team 4 of the last 5 years (missed once due to injury)

PJ/EG combined: zero All-Defensive Team appearances

And you really think that trade would equal "giving up our D strength for more high powered offense"?

Pass the bong, brother.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I didn't know this. Where'd you hear this?

clutchdabear and napalm06 like this.
  19. napalm06

Mike D'Antoni's Suns teams on crack? lol

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You don't think Jimmy Butler brings intensity just as much as Tucker does?

The whole reason he is available is Thibs barking at him through two franchises has not been an intense enough environment for him.

I definitely understand the concern, but Butler kind of fills that hole. It would be nice if we had one more character like that, but it is better to need a PJ Tucker than it is to need a Jimmy Butler I think.

#200 Mathloom, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.