1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tilman needs to pay $146 million repeater luxury tax for Hayward and possible 3 Vet min players in 2020-21 season.

Why should he pay $146 million repeater tax in just one season?

Maybe Tilman will sign 8 undrafted players in 2020?

#401 BigBum, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Oh snap. The plot thickens.

I'll try talking to him about football.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, it is what it is and not a lot to work with. Which is why you kind of have to be on the OPM.

Why would they move him for basically cap relief? I think the locker room has "hated"/"resented" him in a sense since he signed his contract. Wall came out that offseason and said some pretty dumb stuff in the press about Porter. He hasn't played great this year. Brooks is messing with the rotation, so POrter hasn't played the 4th quarter in like 5 games. And he has $27 and $28 million left on his contract.

No bad team with [potential] cap space is interested in taking that on and potentially losing their cap space for his type of player. And very few good teams have such an obvious need that they'd also do it given the cap space. Or, more to the point, the competition for Porter is probably the Wizards themselves just keeping him. Maybe a team like the Grizzlies might be interested in exchange for Parsons, but why would the Wizards do that? Parsons has more money left.

The trade machine says Porter for Knight, Nene and Chriss works. That'd be $26 million going out for Wizards and only $21.5 million coming in. They save $4.5 million in cap space this year. Spotrac says the Wizards have a $12 million estimated tax bill this year. They'd save at least that $4.5 million in luxury taxes as well (probably some multiplier of this though)... so it'd be close to $9 million in actual cash payroll savings THIS YEAR, and a lot more next year when some more of the contracts come off the books. @BimaThug would probably be able to figure out the best way to get the WIzards the most possible cap relief.

But it'd be a pure cap relief deal.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

I feel like we would have to add some picks though, they are not just gonna take the guys who arent in our rotation(Nene D : ) for nothing.

5. JayZ750

Why not? They literally don't even play Porter in the 4th quarter.

Oubre is ready to start.

And they're going to have serious cap problems going forward as Wall's new extension comes on line.

Remember when DM had to include a draft pick to trade Lin for cap space? And Lin was performing in line with how Porter is right now.

Maybe if Wizards included a pick they could find a better cap relief deal out there though. But most of those teams probably really don't want to take on the salary. The Knicks could move him for Enes Kanter who is on the last year of his deal, but why would they want to lose the cap space? Maybe the Nets for a package around Demarre Carrol. These are pure cap dump moves for Wizards.

HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

But what about our cap situation going forward?

7. JayZ750

Why would I care about that? Lol.

That's Tilman's problem!!

D-rock, Rudyc281 and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

The Wizards have the longest winning streak in the East.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sounds like rotation-wise they are using Oubre more with the starters and Porter more with the 2nd unit to maximize their strengths.

malakas likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

True , but while Tillman may have been willing to pay a pretty penny for butler ... I'm not sure the same can be said for porter .

I follow your logic on why WAS trades him , but yikes does that put us up the creek . If you make that move you have to be SOLD on porter as THE missing piece .

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Remember they also drafted Troy Brown Jr., who's also another 3&D player.

Basically Porter's days on the Wizards are numbered. That doesn't mean he's a bad player; it's just that the Wizards are ready to transition his minutes onto cheaper replacements.

I don't think there's a team out there that are:

1. In a win-now mode
    2. Needs a 3&D player
    3. Has tradeable contracts to make a trade work, cap-wise
    4. Provide financial relief for Washington with the incoming players
    5. Willingness to take on Porter's contract because of 1 & 2
    6. Willingness, if needed, to add in a future pick

Keep in mind the kid is only 25 years old. By the time his contract runs out he'll be 27 so, unless there's some catastrophic injury in the future, his production should at least remain where his career numbers are as he enter his prime years.

joshuaao, HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. steddinotayto

I don't mean to sound like a jackass but we are already up a creek. That creek has been sailed/traveled when we made that Chris Paul trade, knowing we would have to fork over max dollars for him.

The best case scenario, we get Porter, we win the championship and will be salary cap hell for the next 3 years. Worst case scenario, we don't win the championship and we're in salary cap hell for the next 3 years.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The real question here is how long can Morey wait to "big game hunt" versus trying to upgrade the bench to help the team NOW.

Perhaps he can make some make-shift moves NOW and still keep his assets available for a bigger move later.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

#TankForZion

15. HP3

HP3 Member

I get that, you make a good point, but we are literally giving them non useable players in return. No one is just gonna take a trade like that for free especially when these guys are trying to make the playoffs. We will probably have to include at least one pick. I cannot see a team do that unless they completely gave up on him being productive now and in the future.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Hey, I'm ALL for this, like all for it. All these points it makes sense. I think the only thing im in contention is that number 6. on your list will have to be in play(at least one) but that's just my opinion, I would love to be wrong.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Morey has his work cut out for him needs to turn
    Knight
    Chriss
    Zhou
    Hartenstein
    MCW

Into players who can be productive and contribute.

18. JayZ750

It's true, but when your assets consistent of crap and crappier, what can you do?

They have no cap space and won't.

Their only other assets are first round picks.

And ANYONE worth any salt as an addition is going to have some salary. Porter is indeed overpaid, but I think what you're getting out is maybe there's someone else better out there that would help more and only get paid $15-$20 million a year.

GREAT... who?????

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

I honestly don't think it will cost the Rockets a pick to get Porter. MAAAAAAAAAAYBE a 2nd rounder but with Porter's salary as well as his falling out of significant minutes in the current rotation, it might be a financial gain that Washington can get out of trading Porter at this point.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That's two totally different levels of salary cap hell . Porter makes like 27 mil and his contract is a year longer than knights .... who is owed 14 .

That's an extra 13 next season and an extra 27 the season after that ... and I'm not accounting for the tax bill ... which will be really really high