1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean I'm praying (no, really I am) that they get that dumb.

I'd even take Mahinmi if they had to a way to make that work.

HP3 likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I see you working, but it is all kind of "meh". Except Hardaway.. but no way.. NO WAY... you can get him for what you offered, imo. I guess it depends on how you value the picks, but I think we all know there'd be later year protections on them. He's actually more than worth his contract now and locked up for at least one more year.

Bazemore is too small, imo, to fill a forward role for any significant stretch and isn't even shooting well. Barnes is just a younger version of Melo. Better than current old ass Melo of course. But barely... shooting horribly. Marvin can't buy a bucket at this point. As a 32+ year old, that'd be very concerning.

To the extent Knight might be DM's main quiver (plus draft picks) moving forward, it's super important he use it wisely.

Obviously the Porter Jr. and Batum contracts are horrible. And Porter definitely started out the season shooting horrible - he's got back on track the last 5-7 games (11-22 on threes last 7 games for example), but that may be the route ultimately DM has to go. If he could get Porter while ALSO picking up other assets because Wizards would be doing it as a salary dump, I think it worth exploring. Again, ENORMOUSLY overpaid, but as a younger Ariza clone, who is better than Ariza was the last few years for us, and who would probably fit in pretty quickly in understanding that 3&D role chemistry wise, it would "fit".

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not a moderator.

Zoplicone, BigMaloe, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Come...we welcome all to the OPM!

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lmao. How did you pick these 3 as moderators?

Clutch, Dr Of Dunk and Rockets2K are the usual basketball forum mods.

D-rock, BigMaloe, DonKnock and 6 others like this.
  6. Man Dingo

Man Dingo Member

Members > Notable Members > Top 3 with display picture

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. JayZ750

I mean a salary dump is a salary dump.

They shouldn't get back any "real" value if they're moving Porter right now... and certainly no picks. He's going to make $27 and $28 million the next two years. I'd actually ask for something like a protected pick swap or 2nd round pick or something coming back.

Y2JT and justtxyank like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm surprised he didn't put 'holic on there.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  9. JayZ750

hakeem94 and steddinotayto like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you included Gordon along with Nene, Knight and Chriss you could absorb Porter and Mahinmi and generate a $7 million TPE.

That deal would only make sense to me IF:
    1) We gave up no picks and maybe even get one
    2) We have a strong sense that we will either be able to trade for or sign a reliable shooter to be the 6th man once we lose Gordon

The Wizards would clear a lot of salary there obviously and have a chance to dip under the tax next year depending on what they did in free agency.

It would be a last resort type deal I think because you would be giving up basically everything you have to trade in one deal. Like I said, would need to be 100% that there was a way to get a 6th man added to the roster.

11. steddinotayto

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That just means those are some of the most frequent posters. Not exactly mod material. ;)

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I bet he thinks 99ers are co-moderators by default.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

How about this one

yeaaabuddy.JPG

1. Washington takes back JR's salary for this year but his guaranteed number for next season is only $3.8. THis way they don't have to take on Knight's contract for 2019-2020.
    2. We help Cleveland's quest for Zion by sending them a broken player albeit with a 1st or 2nd attached. Cleveland also gets rid of JR.
    3. We get a decent backup center in return
    4. We bring the 3&D messiah into the fold
    5. Profit

joshuaao, DonKnock and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

From looking at that below heatmap..........Imagine having PJ Tucker in one corner.......and Otto Porter in the other corner.

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, napalm06, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. steddinotayto

It'd be like Ariza/Tucker on analytical steroids

joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I respect the Otto porter movement and agree that knight + picks is our main bullet we have to offer . I was under the impression that porter is too good to be traded for that package ... maybe I'm wrong and WAS really is looking to dump salary .

Unfortunately I think "meh" is the best we are going to be able to do with knight / Chriss / picks .

As for the players I suggested ... yeah I was kinda just spitballing , but I think the hope would be that all 3 of those guys step up their game here because they are now playing with harden and Paul .

Bazemore is small , but that's OK , we have harden defend 3/4 enough for that not to be a problem . Kent can defend 3's fine .

Barnes is definitely meh , but his talent is way above knights ( at least I think so ... maybe knight suprises ) and the hope is that when we move him to a less prominent role his efficiency goes up .

Hardaway I agree is the best of the names I mentioned , I think we have to hope NYK wants to dump him to open up space for FA . Knight's contract is a year shorter and we would be giving them picks to help dump his contract / use as assets .

Batum I think is physically done . He can no longer even hope to defend at an above average level . His heyday was like 5 years ago .

Williams had a good year last year and it's still early this season .

In truth I have no idea what the rockets FO is gonna do . These were just some ideas that I thought might make sense . Thanks for the feedback

napalm06 likes this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

D-rock, BigMaloe, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  19. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

What do yall think about Wesley Mathews? He's on contract year and makes up for his height with his long wingspan like Bazemore.
    "No homo he's longer than you expect" - Jokic

#399 TheRedRanger, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pretty sure he's the alt account of a banned member (maybe FTW). Read through his post history.