1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something I really don't understand (move if needed)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackball, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Trackball

Trackball Member

Okay, we all know about that controversy involving Calvin Murphy back in 2003 or so, right? The one where he went to court and wound up losing his broadcasting job?

Well, since he was acquitted on all charges, how come he never got his job back? I heard on ESPN years ago that he really wants to get back with Bill Worrell.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking, but ever since I started following the Rockets back in 1993, Bill and Calvin had fantastic chemistry. They could be so funny together at times, and Calvin obviously knew a lot about what goes into winning games.

I heard that Les Alexander has a beef with Calvin, but I'm not sure on that...still, he WOULD be much better than Matt Bullard, and certainly Clyde Drexler.

2. Prince

Prince Member

just saw him the other day talking to Les on the court. they were actually sitting beside each other.

3. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Cool story bro, but seriously, I'm same as OP. Calvin and Bill were better than today, even when we stunk.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Calvin and Bill were like peanut butter and jelly!

5. Know Your Role

'Don't adjust your tv folks, this really is the color of Calvin's suit"

6. Know Your Role

I actually just looked this up and found out why. It's a Chronicle article from 6 years ago. Apparently an issue exists that has to do with FSN, for some reason Calvin and FSN haven't come to agreeable terms. Time to petition FSN. But it could be that he took legal actions against them after he left during his trial. It's probably either money, or some sort legal issue.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2006/11/is-it-time-to-bring-back-calvin-murphy/

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Last night ain’t go so well
    Got kicked up out the hotel
    Got a little freaky like Marvin Albert
    Yes! Tell Howard Cosell

------

That guy got his job back and he was GUILTY.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Calvin was a million times better than Clyde and Bull.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Maybe Comcast Sportsnet will bring him back when they switch over next year, since it seems to be a dispute with FSN.

Bull and Clyde are awful. Clyde at least provides some unintentional comedy now and then but either way they are painful to listen to.

10. Prince

Prince Member

don't get me wrong. i'm a big fan of Calvin.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Didn't know that. But, I'm under the impression that Les never did want him around and just needed an excuse to fire him.

12. Red&BlackPudman

Haha at least they both rip on the refs. Bill is the man!

13. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

I mute all home games just so I don't listen to Clyde. I literally get angry sometimes because I get so annoyed by hearing him say the same exact thing over and over again. And not even making smart comments. Bull I can manage to listen to but bring back Calvin

14. darmor90

darmor90 Member

Count me in as one who wants Calvin back

15. Juck_The_Fazz

Juck_The_Fazz Member

Juck the fazz

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Bill and Calvin were a great team. Nothing better than hearing them on TV and hearing Geno and Jim on the radio.

Calvin was a great color man, but not just because of the suits and cookies....he actually knew his stuff and wasn't afraid to call it like he saw it. He had style AND substance - a real rare thing these days. I remember always watching games to the bitter end (even if it was a blowout or on the west coast) just to hear his Rocket takes.

Bring back Calvin!

17. red

red Contributing Member

Was thinking about this the other day. It's sad when you have to mute the games because Clyde is a talking train wreck. However, I could not stand Calvin back in the day either and was glad when he was fired.

If you had to pick a color commentator to pair with Bill who would it be.

I'm drawing a blank.

18. justinh

justinh Member

is it not because les and clyde are good buds and would be super awkward for les to pull the job out from under clyde just cause calvin's court stuff was all cleared up?

19. lean

lean Member

I think this is a common sentiment among Rockets fans, we all loved Calvin as the color commentator.

20. txtodd

txtodd Member

14 by 9.

1 person likes this.