1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Americans of Japanese descent were held in concentration camps. We're they set to exterminate people?

3. HTM

HTM Member

I think it’s lamentable most folks aren’t up to speed on their Holocaust history and the difference between extermination camps (treblinka, sobibor, chelmno) and concentration camps (Dachau, Bergen-Belsen, etc..) and Auschwitz (the only and most infamous hybrid)

Interestingly enough, you might think yourself supremely clever linking the wikipedia page of the Boer concentration camps but many have considered them to be camps that fit Commodores description. It has been posited, especially by the Boers and there ancestors, that it was a genocide perpetrated by the British Empire. 26,000 Boers did die in those camps from deprivation and neglect.

It’s fairly obvious to anyone with any intellectual honesty that when AOC brought up concentration camps she did in reference to the Holocaust. Invoking the Jewish defense league slogan, “Never again” - a clear and obvious reference to the Holocaust.

Obviously the detention facilites the federal government have set up on the southern border do not resemble the concentration camps of the Holocaust, or pretty much any other concentration camp in history, of which there are many examples.

4. HTM

HTM Member

She referenced the Holocaust directly.

It is funny to try and watch you and others wiggle around that though.

“Oh she meant the Japanese internment camps of WW2 “concentration camps” - not the Holocaust “concentration camps” - so its totally fine and accurate.” :rolleyes:

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So why are some Holocaust survivors agreeing with her and stating that the full fledged death camps didn't occur over night and are seeing the same early strains of facism and demonizing of "the other" as they did to the lead up to to the Holocaust?

Do you care about their sensibilities and experiences or do you only care about the sensibilities of the survivors who agree with you?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not obviously. Its closer to Bergen-belsen than Gila River.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pb...ons-at-a-migrant-childrens-detention-facility

7. HTM

HTM Member

There are millions of Jews in this world. They have all different types of opinions on all types of things.

I happen to agree with those who find the usage deeply inappropriate.

8. fchowd0311

You are outraged. Let's be clear here given the amount of time and self-righteous indignation ferver you've been typing about this subject . Do you feel disgusted that many Holocaust survivors agree with AOC here which means they agree with what you percieve to be disgusting.

Anyways, you're more irked about her calling indefinite detention centers for children concentration camps than you know....

Indefinite detention centers for kids. Either your priorities are out of wack or this is pure concern trolling.

9. HTM

HTM Member

An anecdotal example of one place? How scientifically impressive.

I don’t think anyone is calling these facilities the Ritz Carlton.

These are facilities set up by an overwhelmed federal government and of course, Im sure, have plenty of human failings, as most government run programs do. To compare them to a concentration camp, particularly in reference to the Holocaust is deeply inappropriate.

10. HTM

HTM Member

I don’t have a problem with those entering the country illegally being detained in federal facilities.

I hope they are humane as possible but I understand we are dealing with humans and human institutions that will have flaws.

I don’t think they are intentionally, on a systemic level, trying to wrong these people. Though im sure it happens.

Yes, I’m outraged by AOC comparing what the federal government is trying to do on the southern border with the Holocaust.

11. fchowd0311

Are you outraged at the Holocaust survivors that are agreeing with her?

12. HTM

HTM Member

The Jewish community would appear to be divided on this. Like I said, I agree with those outraged.

13. fchowd0311

Let's not tippy toes around here.

You are outraged at a certain statement, correct?

So I'll ask again, are you outraged at the Holocaust survivors who agree with her statement?

14. HTM

HTM Member

I’m not tippy toeing around anything.

15. fchowd0311

Yes you are. You've shown quite an astonishing amount of bitterness towards any poster in the AOC thread and this thread that agrees with her statement or doesn't feel offended by the statement. So I'll ask again, are you outraged at the Holocaust survivors who aren't offended by her statement and agree with her sentiments?

16. HTM

HTM Member

Congratulations you’ve managed to put forth the single dumbest proposition I’ve seen in awhile.

The idea that, because someone, even one person, in a group of people is not outraged by a statement, it means the statement is not outrageous.

Good grief.

17. fchowd0311

You've been on an absolute high horse righteous indignation war path towards any poster here that feels that her characterization of concentration camps was not offensive and accurate.

Would your tone be different if it was a Holocaust survivor telling you it's not offensive? How would you attempt to convince the survivor that it is?

#737 fchowd0311, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

These people are being put in detention facilities for crossing illegally. They are not being singled out by some factor like religion or race, or even nationality. You are an idiot if you can't do 2 + 2. Concentration camps are entirely different. By your definition, you could consider orphanages or mental hospitals the same thing.

These are not even close to becoming death camps, you lunatic. Nor are they WORK CAMPS. These people are being fed and taken care of until released. Plain and simple.

The fact that you support anything from AOC shows how much of an empty space is residing in your head.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That is not the definition of a concentration camp

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I don't know the "she" you are referring to... I was responding directly to commodores explanation that "concentration camps" were set up to capture and kill people. And concentration camps that American's of Japanese descent were interred were not set up to kill people.

No mention of AOC in commodores post or mine.

You trump defenders sure like to play gotcha with AOC...