1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solar Eclipse 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Houstunna, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Total Eclipse, but Houston's location will only allow 66%. Forecast says partial cloudy.

On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most awe inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse. This path, where the moon will completely cover the sun and the sun's tenuous atmosphere - the corona - can be seen, will stretch from Salem, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. Observers outside this path will still see a partial solar eclipse where the moon covers part of the sun's disk. NASA created this website to provide a guide to this amazing event. Here you will find activities, events, broadcasts, and resources from NASA and our partners across the nation.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

[​IMG]

vinsensual likes this.
  2. cebu

cebu Member

eveyone has access to a nice camera and it's gonna be shared on social media. i'll just stay at home and watch p*rn.

SwoLy-D likes this.
  3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There are charter flights from here to Nebraska that fly you in and out in a single day just to see the eclipse. I'm mildly tempted to take the day off and just go.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Who bought glasses? Can I just use my Raybans? They're polarized, is that good enough?

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

How much?

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

$300 roundtrip. They're flying into some tiny airport in the middle of Nebraska.

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

This is what I was wondering. But the ones I say online made it seem like light can't really get through, whereas with regular sunglasses, plenty of light still comes through.

I guess since we only get a partial, it's best to have those solar eclipse glasses?

EDIT: Also found out that they're pretty hard to locate so close to the eclipse. May just watch the videos on facebook.

#7 K LoLo, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

If your on the Sun, and you have like a great view of earth, does today suck or are you going freaking nuts waiting for it...

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Absolutely not. You'll seriously damage your eyes.

Torn n Frayed and TMac'n like this.
  11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

From an email from my eye doctor:

Totality, the point at which the moon completely blocks the sun, is the only time during a solar eclipse when it is safe to remove special eclipse glasses or viewers to gaze on the obscured sun. Everyone else must view the partially eclipsed sun through eclipse glasses or viewers that meet ISO 12312-2 international standards, or through devices such as pinhole projectors.

The consequences of improperly viewing the eclipse can be immense and permanent, and because the retina has no pain receptors, that damage can occur without any sensation of pain. Solar retinopathy can occur in a very short amount of time, damaging the fovea and harming visual acuity. The American Optometric Association has parterned with the American Astronomical Society (AAS), NASA and others to push the criticality of eye safety.

Solar retinopathy, or photic retinopathy, can occur when a person stares at the sun, causing retinal tissues to be damaged at the fovea, and resulting in a mild-to-moderate visual acuity deficit and central or paracentral scotoma. The eye welcomes visible and near-infrared light, and these wavelengths pass easily through the cornea and lens to be focused on the retina. When directly staring at the sun-and in the case of an eclipse, an intense light-it doesn't take long to cause a burn.

Please remember to be safe and take care of those eyes!

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Polarized lenses won't be enough to block out the sunlight. You'll need a much stronger neutral density filter. I believe some welder's visors will work. You're not going to notice any change in brightness down here, even with 60% totality. Don't risk solar retinopathy by looking at the sun without an approved filter. It's permanently damaging to your vision. You'll never have sharp vision again if you develop solar retinopathy.

13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I tried calling around and everyone is sold out. So...anyone want to sell or lend me a pair?

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You can borrow the left lens of mine while I use the right. Then we can be solar buddies.

Houstunna and K LoLo like this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I only need mine for one day. You can borrow them after that.

Sadat X, gatsby, Houstunna and 3 others like this.
  16. TMac'n

I really wanna buy glasses now. $10 the most. Where must I go? I really wanna see this

Amazon is selling some for like $100. Jeezus!

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

They were being sold at Lowe's, Krogers, and toys r us (among other places). I called like 4 days. I called best buy, and they answered with "Thank you for calling best buy, this is Ashley, if you're calling about solar glasses, we're out. How can I help you?"

I didn't realize it would be this big of a deal.

18. hlcc

hlcc Member

Wow, had no idea these things are in such short supply. Glad I bought my pack of 5 from B&H for $4 couple of weeks ago.

19. TMac'n

Sell me one or two, I got $1 for each

20. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...how do I find out?