1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So we're no longer going to switch the big man. ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Dec 14, 2018.

1. basketballholic

Nobody is talking about this. But MDA made it clear the other day that this was how we're going to defend. We're going to keep Capela (or Nene or whatever big we're playing) at home in the paint.

1. Can we beat the Warriors by doing that?

2. What does this do for the effectiveness of each of our current bigs?

3. Doesn't it stand to reason that a super long player like Qi could be highly advantaged by playing this way and not having to defend smalls in iso switches?

4. What about a guy like DJ? Would he be better than Capela in that kind of scheme some he's longer, stronger, and bigger? Or HW since we're trading for him

5. What about a guy like Vucevic? He'd be gold for our offense. And he's a terrific rebounder. Would he be an upgrade over Capela since he wouldn't be switching and he would change our offense?

6. Would Vucevic's ability to shoot and make plays offset his defensive efficiencies when compared to Capela's defense that he would be more of a net positive against the Warriors?

I'm wondering. Ever since Capela bulked up bigger I perceived he lost just a little bit of quickness that was helping him show good defensive switching potential. Personally, I no longer see any advantage in Capela defending on the perimeter over a longer, stronger dude like DJ defending the perimeter. I don't think Capela has a quickness advantage. So, if we're gonna just let him hang out in the paint, then why not a longer guy?

Why not Qi? Qi, not strong enough? Ok, why not DJ or Vucevic?Or HW?

They would each bring added dimensions we don't currently have with Capela, wouldn't they?

Thoughts?

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

fake news. MDA didn't say they were not switching bigs at all. that they were going to adjust on a need to basis only. someone apparently didn't watch the game last night either

Please get your facts straight first before rinse wash repeat copy paste about your capela agenda. Another unnecessary thread since its fake news

#2 YOLO, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Why you no want Thong Baker??? o_O

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Another day another Capela thread

lnchan and harold bingo like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP I think you want to change the thread title to 'Are we just gonna ignore that we're no longer going to switch the big man?' ;)

J Sizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  6. marky :)

marky :) Member

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Opponents are taking advantage of Capela switching out on perimeter players much more this year than last. I'm actually surprised they didn't attack it more last year.

1. We can't beat the Warriors doing that; also, we can't beat the Warriors not doing that.
    2. We are ranked somewhere around 25th in defense (I think; haven't looked it up) so I'd hope this wouldn't make them less effective.
    3. Nah
    4. An engaged DeAndre Jordan can be a better defensive player than Capela, but he's not walking through that door so who cares. While we're fantasy booking the roster, I'd rather see prime Kevin Garnett as our 5. Or, of course, Hakeem.
    5. Haven't seen him this year but I heard he's playing great. Can't really comment on it.
    6. See Points 1 & 6 above.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

My guess is the rockets are going to try this new revolutionary idea where they scout teams beforehand and adjust the defense accordingly based on matchups. I know, crazy, but who knows it might stick?

smp, IvanLCPM, kubli9 and 3 others like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Warriors are not the power house they used to be for mere fact Draymond isn’t hitting 3’s like before.

Durant has carried the Warriors the last 2 seasons.

Draymond Green is suffering from “Fat-Cat” syndrome
    16/17: 30.8% from 3
    17/18: 30.1% from 3
    18/19: 20. 6% from 3 currently.

Rockets can lay off of Livingston, Dray and Iggy.

Adapt and adjust.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they are not the best team in the league 2nd year in a row now

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"Anybody but Capela"

jakedasnake likes this.
  12. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

If we play Warriors, we can make adjustment again. BTW, Tuckwagon five was the best lineup for us against Warriors.

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

They should hire me as Defensive coordinator. I will invent the switching zone defense.

I think you can switch and keep the big man in the paint. Only on teams who have a center with a good 3 point to mid range would this not be as effective. Teams like the warriors would just go small to pull him out of the paint but that isn't an issue. The issue is when we go versus teams with bigger line ups and get owned on the boards. If they go small that is fine because our entire defense was centered around small ball, so in that case we would just go back to switching.

cdxiong and hakeem94 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you should PM morey

15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

The point is this doesn’t work with most of the other team. Instead it hurt us more than help us. And it would only be good against a line up where Green is their big at center. I don’t see the need to be switching all the time. It creates bad habits example no 1 Capela.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Inquiring minds want to know...tune in the second Tuesday of next week for answers to these exciting questions.

17. Remlap

Remlap Member

You heard this the 'other day'? At the water cooler in the FO or something?
    Hmmmm
    Well, last night's game (Lakers) proved that to be wrong.
    Seems I recall Capela being switched onto LeBron and several of their guards out at the arc
    and getting burned multiple times. Is this the 'stay in the lane' philosophy you heard about?

So, you heard about this new defensive scheme 'the other day',
    we didn't really implement it last night,
    but you are posting this today?

[​IMG]

18. basketballholic

LOLOLOL

Just what I expected.

lnchan likes this.
  19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Our defense yesterday shoulda been Hack a Lebron. I dunno why they kept letting him get dunks, he couldn’t make a free throw to save his life.

Remlap likes this.