1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small Home Stereo Speaker Suggestions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Svpernaut, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I am looking to replace my Denon home stereo system (well moving it to my man-cave) with simply a turntable and some decent active speakers. I may eventually be getting a receiver and amp, but I rarely use my living room and when i do it is to listen to my own music at a normal volume, not the radio.

I'm looking to spend about $500 on decent 2.1 active speakers. I live in a condo with about a 25 foot loft ceiling, so I don't need massive speakers or bass. I'd prefer speakers that are stylish or have good industrial design and better than average audio quality, I am however not an audiophile. The speakers should be small enough to fit on a bookshelf or on my mantle, I don't want floor speakers.

[​IMG]

I'm a fan of the website KickStarter and I purchased a new TurnTable from there, the Orbit. I am contemplating getting the speakers from KickStarter as well in the form of The Transparent Speaker, thus my set price range. I really dig the look of the transparent speaker and the early reviews have been just about what I want out of home stereo speakers. Just thought I'd see if anyone has other suggestions or feedback before making a purchase.

[​IMG]

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter what you would need a phono pre amp. You can't go from TT straight to speakers, even if they are powered. Active-only further limits your options.

You need either:
    A: phono-pre + active speakers
    B: integrated amp or receiver with phono stage + passive speakers

3. Svpernaut

If I got speakers I'd be getting a phono-pre didn't mean to make it sound like I wasn't, the speakers I included have it built in.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK, if you are looking for active speakers with phono built in them I am at a loss for what to suggest because I have never experienced any such thing.

If you had stopped at just good bookshelf speakers sub $500 I would have been gold!

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i bought this thing a couple days ago to replace my broken receiver/cd player.

http://store.sony.com/p/DAV-DZ170/en/p/DAVDZ170

very happy with it, especially for the price. plays dvd, cd, radio, ipod and i hooked up my record player to it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

You could find some awesome vintage stuff at a good price on Craigslist I'm sure. I have a Sansui 9090DB that's awesome. The 70s-era stuff is fantastic, and priced reasonably.

1 person likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  8. Svpernaut

Thanks for all the ideas guys... I'm really digging the Paradigm A2's. I'll have to do some more research for sure.

9. platypus

platypus Member

1 person likes this.
  10. platypus

platypus Member

Sorry bad link just google this SoundWare XS Digital Cinema

11. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I'm very happy with my NHT SuperZero 2.0 speakers. I mostly listen to jazz and I've never really cranked them so I can't personally comment on how well they'd do for loud rock or rap. But for classic jazz and other acoustic oriented stuff they are very good. You can get a 2.1 system for about $500.00.

http://www.nhthifi.com/bookshelf-speakers-subwoofer-Super-Stereo?sc=12&category=3830

http://www.hometheater.com/content/nht-superzero-20-speaker-system

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/nht-superzero-2.0-fl

http://stereotimes.com/speak051711.shtml

http://www.goodsound.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=285

1 person likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Yamaha YHT-S401 is a 3.1 system described below. I have it in my bedroom and the sound is outstanding. It has an extended stereo feature that works very well for music. Might be more than you want to spend, but is on sale from time to time. I got mine for under $500 and love it. If it has a weakness, it's the bass, which is very nice in my bedroom (and it does an excellent job of producing a surround effect), but I haven't tried it in the living room yet, since I have a surround system there. You said you didn't need huge bass reproduction, so it could be worth checking out.

The flagship front surround system from soundbar instigators Yamaha is the YHT-S401, a product that's a jot more versatile than its siblings.

Also offering Air Surround Xtreme to create a 7.1 surround sound effect without the need for rear speakers, the YHT-S401 can be adjusted for height. This is clearly a system designed for performance rather than merely convenience – the YHT-S401 is accompanied not just by a separate subwoofer, but also by an AV receiver.

The seriousness of this system is further boosted by the appearance on that AV receiver of three HDMI inputs and one output. Just in case you thought Yamaha was cutting corners, an iPhone dock is also included for good measure.

[​IMG]

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ho...-best-soundbar-speakers-for-your-hd-tv-913392

1 person likes this.
  13. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

do this n get gud stuff.........or buy some moar "stileish" hipster trash gimicks ....... i meen .....if u dont think this looks cool..........
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is pretty funny. I had what I think was the exact same amp (can't read the model number) for a couple of decades. Worked like a charm.

15. Svpernaut

Thanks, I'll give those a look. Since I live in a condo I don't really care about bass either... one my neighbors sure does, but contrary to popular belief, I'm not as ******* all the time. I do listen to some rap, but mostly 80-90s era. I listen to a lot of cheesy 80s music (think GTA Vice City) and indie rock/trip hop.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll give the 3.1 a look. Surround sound systems aren't really an option for me. I have a huge loft ceiling and shared walls. I also have hardwood floors so running cables would be a nightmare, and most wireless speakers are crap. The cost stipulation was more because I already had speakers in that price range in mind.

16. Svpernaut

That's actually a damn nice looking amp. I'm going to keep an eye out on Craigslist, not because I am a hipster, but because in my place I don't need audiophile level equipment.

17. icrnk

icrnk Member

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Bowers & Wilkins - A7..or the A5

1 person likes this.
  19. Svpernaut

Anyone have suggestions for decent preamps?

20. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

4 ur TT u can use n e thing..........if u keep the MM cart in it ........the amp i put up has a gud preamp