1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Signs of potential recession popping up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by robbie380, Dec 31, 2018.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

It is very sad to see someone hoping for a recession.

Astrodome likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some prices are going up. Housing and rent have gone up steadily. Prices of automobiles have gone up. Again, others and I have posted articles about why the middle class isn't feeling the economic boom. You seem to not to want to address those issues.

3. dmoneybangbang

Why? They are natural and a great time to buy assets on the cheap.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Nobody said it was a boom. Its steady

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

It will start a recession at certain time regardless, but a recession resulting in Trump out may be not a bad timing.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

For the wealthiest it is a boom.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I take a big picture view, we need one to correct some of this lunacy.

DD

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because they make their money in the market. Everyone can invest

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That isn't the reason. There is no point in continuing to discuss this with you if you aren't going to read the articles that discuss the reasons for the middle-class recession and upper-income boom.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I did read your articles. The economy is steady not booming. Which one of your articles said there is a middle class recession? What does even mean?

You're trying to make this about Trump but income growth has been stalled for almost ten years but again we have also had very low inflation

The stock marker has done well and therefore people with money in it have done well

Your brookings institute article does talk about investment income. Did you read it?

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You say you read it. Did you understand it? It pointed out that there was a huge boom for the top earners and not for anyone else. The top 1% saw their earnings grow by more than 100%. The top 0.1% of people own 20% of all wealth in the United States. They own as much as the bottom 90% combined.

The USA Today article points to a study that shows that the economy isn't holding steady. The bottom 60% of families have to draw on their savings just to maintain their lifestyle. That isn't steady. That doesn't leave money for them to invest. They also are increasing their personal debt.

Prices aren't holding steady. Childcare has increased, Housing has increased, gas prices shot up almost 24%. So with those costs going up and the salaries of the middle class only holding steady, they are falling further behind. The middle-class wealth is receding, not growing or holding steady.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

https://www.statista.com/statistics/204740/retail-price-of-gasoline-in-the-united-states-since-1990/

Gasoline is up 24% from when.fo example. Gasoline was $2.72 a gallon last year and $2.52 in 2006.

On home prices the demand for homes has gone up because of the job market according the usa today article

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

According to the article, It was $2.96 average. That is an increase. Clearly, for the middle class, the economy is not holding steady. For the people close to poverty or in poverty it isn't holding steady either.

If the economy was as strong as Trump likes to claim it is, everyone would be sharing in the benefits. That isn't happening. Only the wealthy are benefitting.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Hi Franchise

I didn't respond in this thread to argue about Trump. I made a point the yield curve and aaid the economy is "churning"

Do not support Trump economics

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

that's cool. I was merely pointing out that Trump claims the economy is booming. But most of us aren't even holding steady. It is worse for the bottom 60% who have to draw on their savings just to maintain their current lifestyle. The problem is that the huge gains by the wealthiest will affect the averages and make it appear like there is a steady increase or that it is holding firm. But if you take those yields out of the average, then we are struggling, not thriving or even holding steady.

16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The blue prints to manufacturing should be more dispersed to different parts of the world just in case these types of tariffs hinder economic progression. The problem is the shipping routes that have been 40 years established are driving the manufacturing industry to Asia and China burden as well... Then there's relatively cheap labor to consistent quality as a whole..... China is simply the best at it.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Short sighted as always.

Recessions always hit hardest, bottom up.

For someone who loathes rich people, you fail to understand recessions consolidate that lost wealth to the rich.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

I hate rich people? Pretty sure I don’t hate them.

I thought you of always people would understand taking advantage of situations. If I prepared myself well, why wouldn’t I view a recession as a great time to load up?

It’s not just just the super wealthy that benefit from recession but middle class folks, like myself, who have intentionally lived within their means and kept some powder dry during good buying opportunities.

I actually do believe in personal responsibility and can’t help everyone during a recession. That’s why I believe in safety nets to help the bottom. You also believe in strong safety nets?

19. dmoneybangbang

Well a good chunk of the worlds population lives in Asia/S Asia so networks are being set up where the bulk of people lived.

China’s labor costs keep rising and they don’t want to indefinitely be a cheap manufacturing hub. S Asia and probably Africa sooner than later will be the worlds factory.

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I have some news for you. Sooner rather than later robots and AI will replace vast majority of human jobs on earth, does not matter if it is in Asia, Africa or America.