1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Texas release the names of Nursing homes and assisted living facilities with COVID-19 cases?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, May 9, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why are we being kept in the dark? Don't families deserve to know if their loved ones are in danger?

Harris County nursing home test team finds 194 coronavirus cases so far
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...nursing-home-test-team-finds-194-15256749.php

According to the article roughly 42% of deaths in Texas are tied to these facilities. There are roughly 100 nursing homes in the county, and the health official task team will be visiting one nursing home a day. How about testing them all weekly, and making the information public? After all, those healthy people in the White House get tested daily now.

Which nursing homes have coronavirus outbreaks? Texas won’t tell you.
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...homes-have-coronavirus-outbreaks-15257923.php

Hospice Workers Concerned About COVID-19 Response
    https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/sa...ice-workers-concerned-about-covid-19-response

I don't think patients, families, and certainly hospice workers should be kept in the dark. Nobody deserves to be kept in the dark about something that is deadly, and a risk that could be prevented, if they knew about it.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Death Panels
    They gonna kill Grandma and Grandpa

Everything they accuse others of doing .. . is **** they do

Rocket River

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find that surprising that Texas isn't releasing that information. I know in Minnesota and other states they have.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Of course we should know. Seems they don’t want us to know how bad it is in these facilities.

Really, the failure to protect the people in these facilities is shameful. It’s a failure at the local, state, and federal level. There really is no excuse for it. The first major hotspot in this nation was in a nursing home in the state of Washington.

I remember when it was reported that multiple people had tested positive in a nursing home. I said get all those people out of there. Pretty shocking how so many facilities all around the country failed so terribly to protect their patients.

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

yep, they project their darkest paranoid fears only to do it when they take control

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No one can blame you for deaths .. . they don't know about

Rocket River

Invisible Fan, RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Texas doesn't want to bring up nursing homes because we are one of the worst states in the country when it comes to care in those facilities. If you're thinking of putting a relative there in Texas you might as well push them off a cliff and be done with it.

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Not only should states release that info, they should release the numbers of cases and fatalities by zip code (at the least). And the states should require businesses with more than 25 employees to notify their local health departments of new cases. This info could slow the spread and should be public knowledge.

I know, I know, businesses are people... we can't have them suffering! :rolleyes:

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

At least in Austin, # of cases by zip code is publicly available. It was commonly reported on the news early in the pandemic.

I don't know how or why that information is particularly useful to you.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Our local health department in NC stopped providing the cases by zip code sometime in April I believe. My area was actually one of two hot-spots in the state, so I took my immunocompromised self to the areas with less cases to do my shopping. I'm simply more vulnerable (at least on paper) and would like to reduce my risk of catching this as much as possible.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Fair enough. Didn't realize you weren't in texas, makes sense.

FrontRunner and RayRay10 like this.
  12. body slam

body slam Member

Nursing homes in Texas City and Brenham both made Houston news. Texas City was one of the first to use hydroxychloroquine.

RayRay10 likes this.