1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by underoverup, Jul 12, 2012.

?

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

1. Yes

85 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. rage

rage Member

While this is true, remember the actions of thousands who rioted after Joe was ousted? They and many others were/ are enablers without knowing the facts.

The punishment is still limited to the football program. If they want to continue to fund other sports, I am sure they will find a way.

You can not use the argument that you should not throw a criminal in jail because it will hurt his children.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's time for them to shut up. If they have something of substance that somehow proves the Freeh Reports as being untrue, then release it. If not, then STFU.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Any word on a TV ban like UH had?

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

No, the individuals involved in anyway should pay for their negligence, but I don't think the entire program should suffer. Many in the program knew nothing, did nothing. There is a good bit of piling on right now which is unfair and unwarranted. Target the guilty, not the innocent.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I agree - except that the entire program is the guilty one here.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I understand where the family is coming from, but I do think they need to STFU. Releasing these statements just adds to this story. They need to try and get passed this, and putting out statements isn't going to help.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Actually it's not even first degree homicide. Remember our fine Texas baptist university (Baylor) had a basketball player murder another player, and the coach tried to cover it up by claiming it was due to "drugs". No death penalty received.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And the second someone other than Bliss got wind of what was going on, it was reported. There was no widespread cover-up enacted by the Baylor admin.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Actually, Patrick Dennehy's tuition was paid for shadily. The coach got caught trying to cover that up by saying that he sold drugs to get the money to pay his tuition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_basketball_scandal

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Please show me where I said that any amount of anything makes up for harboring a serial pederast.

I sad this whole thing is just shocking and sad. Of all the big name college legends, I never expected Joe Paterno would one day have all this happening to him.

Just sad that a man with the power to do so much decided to abuse it to aid and abed such a heinous villain.

11. juicystream

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

WOW, that was harsh.

Though, how can you just wipe out of those victories, like that? It doesn't make sense to me, because does it more or less wipe out the game.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How else can you nuke Joe Paterno's coaching legacy in a tangible way?

14. Major

Major Member

The scholarship cut seems to be much less than I originally thought - and not nearly as crippling. They will lose a total of 20 active scholarships, as opposed to 20 per year. If I'm understanding correctly, the team will have 65 scholarship athletes instead of 85. That's pretty much 2-3 deep at every position on the field, meaning this won't be a team of walkons or anything like that. It will have some depth issues so they won't be as competitive, but if they recruit well, they'll still be able to field a reasonably functional team.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I think that the punishments are too harsh. Everyone involved in the cover up is already gone, and now the students and players have to receive the punishments for other peoples actions. None of the players were even at Penn State when Sandusky molested ths children, and now they must suffer.

The crimes were not football related IMO. It didnt give them a football advantage, and the NCAA should not look to punish a program for a few peoples actions. This crime is much bigger then football. If an art teacher commited these crimes would we react by punishing all of the students and tarnishing the program? The penalties are just unecessary to me.

17. DreamRoxCoogFan

Reggie Bush's actions resulted in punishment for USC well after he was gone and all the punishment did was affect innocent people who had nothing to do with it.

The entire scandal was enabled and perpetuated by the football program. It seems pretty clear that in Happy Valley, football was too big to fail. As a result, Sandusky was allowed to continue ruining lives, and Joe Pa was able to keep any sort of scandal away for at least 11 years. For it to take that long to stop Sandusky is unacceptable. Your football program is a reflection of the players, staff, and above all, your coach. Ohio State's scandal didn't help them on the field either- players just wanted a way to get more money, and they got punished too. Coaches, even moreso than players, should be held accountable for their actions, so harsher penalties are justified in this situation. Life isn't all about football, and this punishment is teaching exactly that.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Look at all the innocent children whose lives are being destroyed by this scandal:

[​IMG]
    Students at Penn State as the N.C.A.A. announced sanctions Monday against the university

Tragic.

19. juicystream

WTF at the girl sitting on the floor, 3rd from the right?