1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should anonymous rep comments be brought back?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by TheRealist137, Aug 1, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

As you all know, back when we still had a rep system, anonymous hate rep was common. I feel that with it's removal, the animosity in the forum has increased. Without a way to leave anonymous hate rep, members are instead flaming posters directly in the threads, causing more bickering, thread derailment, and fighting. Also, it was a cathartic experience for many posters who feel too afraid to flame others in public. At this time, these posters internalize all of their contempt for that poster and I've found these posters to be way more salty in general, leading to more pettiness in other threads.

Furthermore, it was a good feedback system. Sometimes posters don't want to give feedback to other members because they are afraid that the poster may take it personal. Leaving anonymous, constructive criticism, was an easy method to provide feedback.

The way I see it, anonymous rep, specifically, anonymous hate rep, was a vital feature for the harmony and maturity in this forum.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just exile those bickering posters to the D&D. Problem solved!

Seriously, anonymous criticism is never a mature thing. If you can't make constructive comment looking in the person's eyes, then you should just keep quiet. It's funny how we are talking about looking in the person's eyes when this is really an anonymous venue where you NEVER look a person in the eyes.

In short, wanting anonymity in an already anonymous environment is lame.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Harmony and maturity ... lulz

Hateful, anonymous comments make for mature and harmonious social interaction ... It prevents "people too afraid to flame others in public" from bottling up "all of their contempt for some person" providing "a cathartic experience" -- a vent or a release, if you will.​

Back in the 70s before Caller-ID, we used to disguise our voices (or have friends) make one-way, anonymous hate rep phone calls, too.

One-way Flame Wars make life better -- awesome

Internet Logic ... what a time to be alive

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I disagree. Hated that passive aggressive bullcrap. If someone has something to say to someone say it them directly. Being behind a computer screen should be protective enough. Don't get me wrong, I miss the green peen...but anonymous comments were a cheap way of attacking someone.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I didn't mind it being anonymous. There are many lurkers here who no longer participate now that it's public. Is there an option for posters to give anonymous likes/dislikes that only the recipient sees?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So you were the guy leaving all that hate rep. Hmm... o_O

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are already anonymous here. Nobody knows who you are unless you disclose it voluntarily. For all practical purposes, you are just a screen name and an avatar. I don't get why people are so afraid to be open about what they think on an anonymous board.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Eh, some people like to lurk behind the shadows. I can't speak to the psychology of it. I just noticed that when the BBS changed and we were able to look back in our rep history, I received anonymous rep from posters that I've never seen post before yet had account histories earlier than mine. Now their name doesn't pop up anymore. I'm sure those posters would like to participate again in some way without having their name publicly viewable.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You completely misunderstood his point how anonymous rep prevents arguments on the board.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Oh, I understood. I just don't think it's the right way to prevent immature hostility. Anonymous neg rep was a way to throw insult without giving argument while not letting the person know who threw it. It's like encouraging throwing poo to someone's back from a hiding place and then running away in order to prevent violent fighting. It's a cowardly way of avoiding confrontation.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

i liked the rep comments and rep system. I always signed never anonymous, anonymous unanimous

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Not a fan of anonymous hate rep, mainly because I am Silky Johnson.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For the record, I liked the rep system. If for nothing, just the using of players' names for different levels of repped-ness was really cool. I used to wish that the reps would automatically show the repper, like the Like system. That way you don't even have to "sign" your reps.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

*69 for 90s brats on a landline.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd actually prefer the new likes system to be anonymous. would weed out all the newbies liking each other nonstop quid pro quo

durvasa likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

man.. i just want my hakeem status back

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Where do I leave my flaming bag of dog poo? Anonymously, of course....

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

we are all DD

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We are all Margraves....

We could bring back anonymous comments....Like system stays too.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No.

Let people take out their anger in the threads so that those that deserve to get banned get banned.

Anon rep was a **** show of losers leaving hate messages knowing that there was little to no chance of repercussions.

Easy and Bandwagoner like this.