1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Otani - a ten tool player

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kevC, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theimpossibles1

And it's fine that you say that because it's your opinion. My problem with the article is the word 'consensus.' That applies universal agreement, down to the person. I don't agree therefore it is not a consensus.

An example of a true consensus would be "James Harden is the best player in the NBA." ;)

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I have a lot of love for our players.

But Trout is a better player than Altuve.

Had he not gotten hurt last year he would have won MVP.

I would trade Altuve for Trout straight up, and so would any GM in the league if they are thinking logically.

tmactoyao likes this.
  3. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

disagree, i think the consensus is and has been that trout is the best player. dude is on pace to end up with some of the best #'s of all time.

only argument for correa/altuve over trout is the replacement player aspect in their respective positions because in a vacuum, i think it's clear trout is a better player

4. tmacfor35

You do not agree because you are being a biased fan. I have no issue with that, but we both know you aren't being realistic.

5. theimpossibles1

For one, injuries are a factor. The best ability is reliability. Going forward it seems Trout is regressing a bit while Altuve just keeps getting better.

Then you look at the numbers, Altuve has the best avg. over last few seasons and has added decent power numbers.

Better baserunner.

Plays a mean 2nd base. Yes Trout is a great fielder too but 2nd base is more of a skill position.

So yes, Trout is an amazing player and most would say he is better, but if anyone wanted to make the argument for Altuve they could do so logically and would have stats to back it up.

I stand by my original statement.

6. tmacfor35

Your baseball knowledge is lacking a bit.

Trout is a great center fielder. That is as important a position on the baseball field as you would ever find. It is the reason Jake Marisnick is still on the Astros.

If you are saying that most people would say he is better than I take it you are conceding he truly is.

Trout's numbers averaged out had he not been hit by an inside pitch would stand.

.306 average
    46 HR
    100 RBI's
    130 walks
    127 Runs

He would have won MVP in a landslide.

7. theimpossibles1

What do you know about my baseball knowledge...

You used my own comment against me (Trout is a great fielder).

SS, 2nd base and 3rd base are more important that CF.

So Trout has better power #s.
    Altuve has a far higher avg. and stolen bases.

You think because I am aware that most people think Trout is better that I must think he is?

Quit projecting your ignorance onto other people.

#267 theimpossibles1, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. Major

Major Member

In what way is Trout regressing? He was on pace for his best season this year.

BTW, each of Trout's 5 full years prior to this year were arguably or clearly better than Altuve's best year (2017). This year would have been as well if not for injury. Trout is easily the best player in baseball right now.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I could make a very strong argument that Jose Altuve is the second best player in baseball. That is a major statement to make.

Having said that, there is not a legitimate argument about who the best player is right now. If you want to have a Trout discussion, it starts with Mays, Bonds and Ruth, not his peers.

iconoclastic and texans1095 like this.
  10. theimpossibles1

My mistake on that one. Just checked his #s and they are pretty consistent. I think the injury just made it feel like he was regressing.

11. tmacfor35

My ignorance?

Deeming those three positions as more important than CF is ignorance LOL.

I played minor league baseball. I know a little bit about what I am talking about.

Trout may be the goat. Altuve doesn't come close.

12. theimpossibles1

Well maybe if you knew those infield positions were more important than CF you would have got past the minors.

:D;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.