1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Otani - a ten tool player

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kevC, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

May be a better prospect than Lourdes Jr.

3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

May be? I don't think there is a question. I've been eyeing Otani for a few years now. The dude could be a top 5 pitcher on the planet right now, and I don't even think that that is too much hyperbole. Last I read, he was really serious about being a two-way player (maybe to the point of making it a demand if he was to come over to the states), which is scaring many teams. I see it as a perfect reason for the Astros to become a favorite to sign him. Our 1B/DH situation hasn't been great for the last few seasons. So even if he doesn't produce at the plate (the bat is looking pretty darn good by the way), we don't even have much of a potential drop-off at the DH position, but then add a legitimate ace to lead our starting rotation. That's not even the best case scenario. The best case scenario is that we land a stud hitter to be our DH AND a legitimate ace to lead our rotation.

Luhnow and company made a surprise run at Tanaka before the Yankees signed him. Just like we made a run at Jose Abreu before eventually getting Gurriel, I would be ecstatic if we were just planting our seed with Tanaka as a precursor to land an even bigger fish with Otani. The kid is a rock star there too, I could see a strong case of throwing ridiculous money at him, while opening up a huge Japanese market for the Astros to offset his cost (a la Yao for the Rockets).

4. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

If the Astros landed Otani it would be the biggest FA signing this city has ever seen. Chub just thinking about the possibility. Inevitably he'll go to LAD or NYY though.

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

In b4 "It's the Japanese league though." He's filthy

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

No doubt about that

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This dude sounds like a mythical video game created character rather than a real life player. Would bring a ton of excitement to the city if the Astros are able to land him. There will be lots of competition and lots of money thrown around however. Not sure the Astros can compete with the big boys in money.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's a fascinating prospect to say the least.

If his pitching dominance translates, teams tend to take great measures to protect that. But it's hard to ignore production in a league as good as Japan. Having said that, Japanese hitters don't really have a great track record of being impact players, only Ichiro and Hideki Matsui come to mind, and unless he is a great hitter, teams aren't gonna risk letting an ace play when he's not pitching. Off hand an NL team would seem to make more sense given pitchers are required to hit, but AL teams aren't required to use the DH and he would be more protected as a DH when he's not pitching.

Certainly a story worth following.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That guy Clemens, even on the downside of his career, was pretty good.

10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Agreed. But from a global impact, the buzz and additional revenue would definitely dwarf the Clemens signing, or the Beltran trade, or the Jeff Kent signing. This would be like getting Yulieski Gurriel in his prime, along with way more cash inflow from the international market.

Sealclubber's point about an NL team possibly having the advantage as pitchers hit is interesting, and something to consider. However, from the reports I read earlier this season, I am pretty sure that he and his camp will demand that he plays everyday. He wants to hit between his starts. So I would think that having him as a full time DH protects him the most if you have to play him between his starts. So because of that, I think an AL team would have a distinct advantage. I also think that, realistically, he's probably a Yankee. The kid lives like a rock star in Japan, and I just don't think our lights are bright enough compared to NY. And their roster make-up probably allows them to roll the dice and make him a full time DH as well. Everything seems to line up real well for the Yanks, so as much as I would love for this to happen, I'll certainly temper my expectations. But man, would it be fun as hell if Otani is an Astro.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have no doubt the Astros will make an offer that will fall just shy of signing him.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My Life - Starring Michael Keaton (and every Astros fan ever)

MadMax likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ace pitcher and DH all in one. Unload.

14. Buck Turgidson

The team I'm most worried about is Seattle.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

2014 vs MLB all starts

seeingredtx likes this.
  16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Filthy. He was only 20.

seeingredtx likes this.
  17. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Of course Altuve gets a hit.

seeingredtx and Joshfast like this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Big deal....I saw a pitcher with a 4.50 ERA and a WHIP around 2. :)

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Because of their Japanese player presence? If he wanted to DH every game, doubt he'd go there though unless Seattle was going to move Cruz to the outfield again.

20. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

First thing I thought too. Altuve = hit

seeingredtx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.