1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shenzhen has become the first city in China to ban eating cats and dogs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Apr 2, 2020.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Don't straw-man me. I never said they were "just as bad" as Wuhan. Frankly, I don't particularly care which is "worse" because ANY wet market should cease to exist -- not just the ones with cats and dogs. Unlike yourself (and the other boomer '99er), I actually care for the well-being of all animals, not just the ones you arbitrarily place greater value towards. If you had a problem with wet markets and the treatment of the animals in these wet markets, you should also be outraged at how the animals you pay to be killed are treated. But you don't care about the well-being of animals. If you're truly outraged at the animal cruelty taking place in China, then you can't be complicit in animal cruelty yourself, otherwise you're just a massive hypocrite and China should tell you go to kick rocks.

Cows, pigs, chickens and turkeys have the same desire for life and threshold for pain as cats and dogs do. Maybe you should consider extending moral consideration to all animals. Just my $0.02. I'm done with this conversation.

#101 jacoby, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not going to treat chickens and turkeys the same as Garfield and Snoop
    Sorry

and no way I’m going to compare America to China like they are on the same level of animal cruelty norms and sanitation

I mean you don’t compare Hakeem Olajuwon to Isaiah Hardenstein do you ? Wait they both play basketball

China and America both eat animals

but one of them has cleaner markets and treats dogs and cats better

Not the same
    At all

@Os Trigonum

3. tinman

Supporting Member

It's not over til the 99ers say so
    @R0ckets03

Houston TX
    Fiesta

Yulin China

Their version of Petsmart

@Os Trigonum
    @Reeko

*Vice always sends Isabel to the WORST PLACES. She better get a raise

Is there animal cruelty in AMERICA?
    YES

Does that mean it's the same level as CHINA?

HELL NO

TRUTH

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

For the 4th and hopefully final time, I agree with everyone that China's food regulations are abysmal. I also agree that food regulations all around the world, including the USA, are sorely lacking. I haven't made any argument on this and am not sure why it keeps getting brought up.

Also, it's a pretty **** thing to try to directly compare a very rich country to a very poor country.

Imagine some rich people disgusted at your family for not driving 100% electric cars, for not building a solar-paneled powered energy efficient low VOC house, for not eating 100% organically and locally produced foods.

Trust me, to some people, you live like a ****ing animal. The reality is a lot of people can't afford better, or just don't know better.

But again to be clear, my only argument here was that killing livestock mammals and cats/dogs is the same ethically. You and mr "shithole country" are looping me into arguments I never made.

jacoby likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

China's a very poor country?

This ain't Mao's China.

Why was Les Alexander pandering to China? Wait cause they have billions of people who want pay for ugly jerseys
    @Reeko

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Their government is strong enough to enforce crazy draconian laws and make US companies turn a blind eye to major issues.
    Which one of them is animal cruelty, a cause dear to Les Alexander's heart. I'm sure he turned a blind eye to the subject of wet markets and dog/cat eating.

I'm sure the majority of normal Chinese people in china are against eating all these creatures, but the only way to stop that is through education and laws.

8. Buck Turgidson

I tried to discuss things earlier, but you ignored me and then went full polemic, as you typically do. Good on ya, but that's not a great way to engender conversation.

And btw, shooting people in the face is an interesting policy position to take for someone who eschews bloodshed. You're from Long Island, right? I'm quite sure you have a firm grasp on how the rest of America works. Carry on.

LonghornFan and tinman like this.
  9. jacoby

jacoby Member

The dude I was quoting said that people who eat cats and dogs should be shot in the f'n face, so I used his argument against him but replaced cats and dogs with animals he kills. But feel free to take me out of context anytime chief.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Why is that in Japan, they really love their pets to the extreme.

Roomba likes this.
  11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Going to try to make this my last post in here. I love animals and love people that love animals so fighting with some of you is the last thing I want to do.

I personally don't agree that chickens and pigs are the same as cats and dogs. I am speaking out against eating wildlife, the torturing of any animals for the sole purpose of optimizing flavor (thats fn barbaric) and selling live animals at any markets that aren't heavily regulated.

Can America do better in how it treats its animals? Undoubtedly so.

But I think we are a **** ton better then the PRC actually condoning these specific wet markets where live and dead, exotic and domesticated animals are all sold together that are constantly the epicenter of ****ed up diseases. And by many accounts China has allowed these markets to open again. How that doesn't bother everyone, including the Chinese, is beyond my comprehension.

NotInMyHouse and tinman like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

I’d like to call bull for the poster who said he can go find wet markets in New York and that there’s anything like this description in America . No animal feces and blood on the floor at Kroger

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/us/coronavirus-scientists-debate-origin-theories-invs/index.html
    "The first time you go into China as a Westerner, it is a bit of shock to go to a wildlife market and see this huge diversity of animals live in cages on top of each other with a pile of guts that have been pulled out of an animal and thrown on the floor," he said. "As you walk towards the stalls, you slip on the feces and blood. These are perfect places for viruses to spread. Not only that, people are working there ... kids are playing there. Families almost live there."

13. jacoby

jacoby Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are just a couple of photos (and one video) I personally took of the pop-up chicken wet-market that took place in Brooklyn last September. Each cage had about 20 birds packed in there for roughly 2-3 days without food or water. The fecal matter from the top cages would trickle down into the bottom cages where the other chickens were. They were completely unable to move and thousands were dead from infections, broken limbs, and starvation. The lucky survivors were ripped from the cages and had their throats cut with dull blades.

If you were to take the chickens out of these cages and replace them with cats and dogs...congrats... you've just successfully replicated a Chinese wet market! So you tell me exactly what the difference is between China and New York wet markets when it comes to the treatment of animals. Do you find this acceptable in any way? Or do you just not give a **** because they aren't cuddly kittens and puppies? All these birds were babies, by the way.

On the bright side, me and a few others rescued over 100 of these birds from slaughter and drove them all throughout the US to sanctuaries where they can live the remainder of their lives free from those who think it's acceptable to cause them harm, such as yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#113 jacoby, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    FrontRunner likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

You compare FARMERS selling Chickens for Eggs to DOGS AND CATS IN THIRD WORLD CONDITIONS IN CHINA? EVEN VEGANS DON'T

DELUSIONAL.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum

Eating chickens and eggs are not the same as dogs and cats

what the hell is wrong with you people?

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is what I mean, I can’t stomach the earlier parts but how the **** are you going to boil/barbecue them alive? It’s contrarion dumbass mother****ers like @jacoby that try to create some false equivalency. Both can be viewed as bad but man is China a country devoid of morals.

R0ckets03 and tinman like this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

This is for @jacoby

18. jacoby

jacoby Member

Hey, dumb f*ck. Chickens are boiled alive in America too. Chickens are beheaded in America too. Chickens are crammed in cages in America too. Chickens die of thirst/starvation, abuse, exposure, broken limbs and infections in America too. Everything you're chastising China for doing, YOU are guilty of because you buy the meat of animals who have been boiled alive. We are guilty of the SAME thing China is guilty of, you're just too stupid to understand that cows, pigs, chickens and turkeys suffer just like cats and dogs do. The difference is that the farmed animals I listed (that you pay to be killed) are slaughtered on a much, much larger scale than cats and dogs are around the globe.

You can just admit you only care about cats and dogs, but that doesn't absolve you from being a giant hypocrite. You want to criticize Chinese people for their eating practices but somehow you think you're immune from criticism? Lol.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Keep it coming, keep it coming. Ironically, instead of spreading your message (which has some good points) you’re really doing a disservice. That’s the problem with people like you, it’s too bad

R0ckets03 likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Your name is Chicken Bros., so you're likely a lost cause to his message. ;)