1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shenzhen has become the first city in China to ban eating cats and dogs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Apr 2, 2020.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Are you aware the Chinese government is allowing this barbaric practice to go on?

If the American government condoned disgusting wet markets I would be equally offended. But we dont. You know why? Because we aren't a **** hole.

LonghornFan and daywalker02 like this.
  2. jacoby

jacoby Member

We aren't a **** hole.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you cut off the source, then the vendors won't be able to buy and sell it.

You have to understand why some Koreans and some Chinese farmers eat dogs, because there was a giant famine in the 50s and 60s.

You have to educate people.

It's only because abolishing dog meat is not important to the government.

But this Corona situation will have them close wet markets.......I hope permanently.

And if they do not comply, at least make it a deep frozen market with limited, domesticated species but frozen.

#63 daywalker02, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    jacoby likes this.
  4. R0ckets03

Its not the 50's and 60's anymore though is it? If it was we would still be a segregated society. But we learned and evolved.

The wet markets in ****-hole China are open again according to many reports. Selling the same **** they have been selling that started this god damn pandemic.

And no dogs and cats should not be sold for consumption period. Lots of **** happened 50 years ago, but non ****-hole countries evolve. Anyone who thinks eating dog and cats is okay should just be ****ing shot in the face.

LonghornFan likes this.
  5. jacoby

jacoby Member

Anyone who eats cows and pigs should be ****ing shot in the face.

You see how people can turn your stupid ass arguments back onto yourself? Do as I say, not as I do. That's what I gather from reading the ridiculous comments in this thread lol.

6. R0ckets03

You're a ****in freak if you think eating dogs is the same as eating cows and pigs.

LonghornFan and tinman like this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

listen man you're obsessed with this false equivalency you have created in your head. If you're trying to use the "but they're animals too" shtick we can use that for humans. Its not the most debate friendly point but animals including humans are on a ladder, cows and pigs are bred specifically for meat. Wolves were domesticated for thousands of years to create companions. Before you attack my own personal beliefs (again), i'll divulge that I eat meat only sparingly, and have made a transition to almost completely plant based because while the US isn't like china, abuse still goes on as you stated---and my choices are 100% rooted in ethical reasons.

Regarding my prior message, you're trying so hard on the "don't judge other countries" front that you're ignoring all sensible reason. With animals come diseases, even cows and pigs. The idea is that animals specifically bred for those purposes are less likely to carry them as their feeds are regulated and in (most) countries they are raised in habitable conditions. This is not the case in china. You can try all you want, but people do not need to eat pangolins, they are endangered and can't possibly supply inadequate meat supplies (even if that were the case). Lastly you seem to equate the use of animals, even if we were to ok the use of cats and dogs...to how china goes about it. A lot of the backwards farmers believe that adrenaline leads to more tender meat which is why they try to torture them prior to consumption. While abuse to some level goes on, it is intentional in much of the country /surrounding areas.

You can reach all you want man, a lot like my vegan ex but you're diving into philosophy as opposed to reality. Wake up.

LonghornFan, marks0223 and R0ckets03 like this.
  8. jacoby

jacoby Member

There's a lot of r****dation to unravel in this post, so I'll just leave it at this.

In rich countries like America, there is zero need or excuse to eat cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, cats, dogs, sheep, rabbits, fish, or any form of meat. Period. It's an outdated practice that has caused irreversible harm to our planet. China's laws regarding animal slaughter are reprehensible. America's laws regarding animal slaughter are reprehensible. If we want to put an end to animal cruelty in China, we have to lead by example and start at home first. Otherwise, China will tell us to **** ourselves, and rightfully so.

Just because Americans love cats and dogs more than cows and pigs does not deem them more worthy of life. It isn't our right to place arbitrary value on the lives of others. Every living being, human or non-human, value their own lives and we ought to start respecting that. If not, nature will fight back and restore balance. We're seeing it with Covid-19. We have treated other living beings with such malice and viciousness that nature responded by giving us a bitter dose of our own medicine. This virus came from mistreated animals who were killed with no mercy despite not wanting to die, and now this virus is killing us without mercy despite not wanting to die. I don't really believe in karma, but if I did, this would be it. We are receiving the same treatment that we inflict onto others. Hopefully when this is all said and done we will appreciate life more. All life, not just our own. Otherwise this will happen again. If you want to disregard all this as vegan propaganda then feel free. But eventually we will have to stop treating animals this way. China is not an exception.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's a legit issue for animal lovers, but I eat meat and love eating meat. Non-vegetarian Americans have cognitive dissonance over how they love to treat animals while loving to eat them. I'd personally respect people who personally slaughter animals they catch and eat more than people who outsource the killing and see a nicely cut fillet with unknown origins.

Just because you love nuggets, burgers and other processed franken meat products doesn't absolve any of us over what goes on in slaughterhouses and industrial ranches with forbidden camera policies.

Or the tens of millions of unwanted American pets roaming around unspayed or unneutered only to be put down in crowded shelters.

All cultures treat animals like ****, maybe except vegetarian Hindus or Jains. What people do to them and especially in China is reprehensible.

Do you really love animal welfare. Enough to give up all meat cold tofurkey? Or is the god awful sliding scale of moral relativism all we have in this debate?

Save that wall punching and volunteer at a shelter.

Mr. Brightside likes this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Listen man, I’m going to ignore you...there’s not a whole going up there it seems. You fail to comprehend or reason through any points that are brought up, if you want an echo chamber this is not the place. Maybe you were brought up this way etc, I can’t really speak to it. But you make a lot of assumptions about other people that are just plain false. I really hope you open yourself up to reason, logic and compassion in the future, again don’t take it as a slight—just for your own benefit/success in the world .

All the best.

LonghornFan and R0ckets03 like this.
  11. jacoby

jacoby Member

Haha I'll try to open myself up to compassion more. Thanks for the tip chief.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

I used to grab a bowl of Shenzhen York Chocolate right out of the wok on the way home. I will miss that.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude
    These animals were bought live and slaughtered in filthy conditions

go find me where they have live dogs in the seafood section at Kroger

14. tinman

Supporting Member

The world isn’t going vegan but I believe humans can be trained not to eat and kill dogs and cats in the middle of an alley or back of a seafood market

15. jacoby

jacoby Member

99% of animals in America are slaughtered in filthy conditions. It's just done behind locked doors so you don't act like a little girl knowing where your food actually comes from.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

if I had a choice to eat hamburger bought from Kroger vs making a burger after they slaughter a cat in the street
    I’d pick Kroger

But you can eat the slaughtered cat with onion rings

yours is a case of not believing what you write or say

You are just in this cause you are bored and want to say the opposite of what’s right

look I get your extreme boredom but I serious doubt you’d eat from the wet market. Any meats or vegetables too

@LosPollosHermanos

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If I were born and raised eating human meat, then I wouldn’t know any better and think this was normal. And, I might think that people who eat other animals is gross.

In the last few days, I had to take over ownership of my parents’ 13 year old female yellow Lab named Sunny as my parents are seriously ill and living at home taken care of by a live-in caregiver. We’re in love and are thinking about getting married. ;) I wouldn’t dream of eating her as she is a sweetheart with a kind, fun personality.

#77 Surfguy, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  18. R0ckets03

Make sure Sunny gets nowhere close to Jocobys freak ass.

LonghornFan likes this.
  19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Eventually, everyone is going to be eating farm raised green algae. That...or Soylent Green. Take your pick. What’s left of “meat” will be exclusive for the one-percenters.

if everyone ate tofu and meat eating was outlawed, then I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I would just do what everyone else is doing. I love tofu as a meat substitute in oriental dishes.

jacoby likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You seem incapable to reflect on ethics outside of your own cultural upbringings, which is a bit dangerous, cultural norms have historically been a very piss poor measure for ethicality.

Tell me, where is your cut off?

1.Animals? 2.Mammals? 3.Hominids? 4.Humans?

The way I see it, I'm unable to separate dogs and pigs.

Personally, my cut off is animals, but I could see my self moving that cutoff to mammals. I don't think I will ever find eating mammals acceptable, it's our own class of animals and it's nearly impossible for me to devalue this type of life.

jacoby likes this.