1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Senate votes to allow Internet providers share search histories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 23, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks Trump (and republicans)!

US Senate votes to let internet providers share your web browsing history without permission
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/23/1...ivacy-rules-congressional-review-act-fcc-vote

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

win for privacy and small government GOP.

KingCheetah likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trump is ushering in an era of corporations running rampant on the public which is jarring considering how much corporations already screw the public. Scumbags, I swear.

4. Indaface

Indaface Member

#draintheswamp

Bäumer likes this.
  5. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

This decision gets a thumbs-down from me.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finally! I've been waiting for lawmakers courageous enough to take this principled stand. I guess Trump gave them the courage they needed to make such a brave move.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

#MAGA

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Yup. And the data doesn't even have to be aggregated to anonymize it. The data can be related to just one customer.

Your ISP could probably figure out a lot of your political views, diseases or other medical conditions you may have, where you do your banking, your gender, approximate age, when you're usually home and when you're not, etc just from a month or even a week of browsing history.

But that stuff's "not private," ISPs say. Sure. o_O

RocketWalta likes this.
  9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

So Rand Paul has a problem with the PATRIOT Act, but he's fine with co-sponsoring this?

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

who's liberty do you think this violates? why would Rand Paul or any libertarian have a problem with private companies using their data? Every party consents to all of this. The internet user does when they use the product (voluntarily) and the internet company obviously does. Nobody gives consent with the Patriot Act.

I swear, public education needs to start teaching basic courses on individual freedom and what it means. This is so lost on this young generation.

Basic question dharocks, who is being forced to do what with this bill?

Does HEB ask my permission before using/sharing data on what i purchased? of course not. its their data. They can do w/e they want with it.

#10 tallanvor, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    RocketsLegend and cml750 like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody at all, except for people that use the internet.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

yeap, the solution is not to use the internet. The reality of idiots.

The reason ISP want this is because the value of the data. $$$$$$.

13. tallanvor

Or use an internet provider that will not share your info. either one......

Again, whose liberty do you think this violates? who is being forced to do what?

That and they want equal treatment as other industries that don't ask for permission to share their data. Facebook and Google both can share your data. They make billions off that data. Why shouldn't the ISPs be able to do this too?

#13 tallanvor, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe you are right. Tell me which cellular providers in the US do not collect and do not sell your search information?

15. Drexlerfan22

Oh please.

The internet today is a utility; a necessity of daily life. Or at the very least, it's so close to being there in the next few years as makes no difference.

That may or may not be true according to the law, depending on who's in office, but it is nonetheless a fact of life. To dispute that is to be at best willfully ignorant, or at worst extremely disingenuous.

There is very little difference between monitoring a person's internet activity and tapping their phone. That Republicans refuse to even force opt-in consent for what amounts to wite-tapping without a warrant is deeply, deeply disturbing. Makes me wonder just how much ISPs are paying them.

Rocket River likes this.
  16. tallanvor

no idea. not a concern of mine. not a concern of most, so doubt any of them do it. If the demand was higher a company would. Thats how a free market works.

Could you please tell me why Facebook and Google should be allowed to make billions off sharing your data and the ISPs shouldn't? The argument you are making above could be applied to every company ever. They all have data on their customers. You want to apply it to just ISPs

17. Drexlerfan22

Facebook and Google are not de facto utilities, as ISPs are.

And your "use another ISP" idea? What other ISPs? They're also de facto monopolies, which is a big part of the problem!

18. tallanvor

The ISPs are clearly not a monopoly. Google Fiber should show you that. If you want more choice obviously regulation wont be the answer.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Big thick heart shaped buns... Bimbo big thick bent over heart shaped butts.. I'll help them out.

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'm of the opinion that one's browsing history should be considered the private property of the consumer, not the ISPs. This is the case in many countries outside of the US (the UK being an example). I didn't literally expect Paul to take the side of the consumer over corporations; I just find it ultimately hypocritical and incongruous that libertarians rail against privacy violations by the federal government while championing for the rights of corporations to essentially engage in similar behavior.

Your solution of choosing an ISP that doesn't collect your data simply isn't viable, as the current broadband internet market is essentially an oligopoly. There's no real competition. If you want to use the internet in this country, you're basically stuck with this crap. IMO, that doesn't leave the consumer with a lot of rights.

RocketWalta and CometsWin like this.