1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Selling Car] Does anyone know where I can get a good trade in value?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Sep 19, 2015.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I hear Texas Direct Auto offers great trade in values, but looking for someone to beat their offer. Anyone know of any places or hook ups where they purchase cars? I don't have time to do the sell as an individual route unfortunately. Any help appreciated!

2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Carmax is pretty fair in purchase price.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Shop around. When I traded in my previous vehicle earlier this year, I went to 6 dealerships. The values I got were $16k up to $19.5k. Was able to talk the dealership into giving me $20k and I knocked off about $5k off msrp on my new vehicle.

Or you could lie and say x dealership is offering you $$$ for your vehicle and ask them to match. Honestly, they don't care enough to call and check. They'll either match or tell you they can't. At that point, move on to the next dealership. Take a few days to drive around and negotiate and you'll save thousands.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I've sold a car to Carmax before. In and out in 30 minutes with check in hand.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Texas Direct Auto is pretty good.

Took my car to carmax in Feb and they offered 29,000. Went to TDA and they said 30,750.

I didn't sell it but when it's time, I am going back to TDA.

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Mac Haik Chevrolet always gives me the best offer. Usually a couple thousand above any other dealership.

9. The Boz

The Boz Member

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It depends on what kind of car? It might be easy to sell outright.

Also carmax and Texas direct Auto would need to be a couple of thousand more because you will be paying full sales tax on the new car

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Like Texanskan said - It depends on the kind of car. An older, cheaper car will sell rather quickly on craigslist. I sold an 8yr old Saturn one saturday for $1500 in a few hours. Listed it at 5pm and it was gone by 9pm. Had about 6-7 interested callers and the first one that came check it out bought it.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Sorry, it was a 14yr old car, not 8.

13. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Yeah I think Texas Direct Auto claims they will beat any Carmax quote by $500 so there is almost no reason to go to Carmax lol. Check your dealership too - sometimes you will be shocked that they will offer you more on a trade in versus Carmax / others.

14. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

When I sold my car, Carmax offered 28K and Texas Direct Auto offered 30K so it was no brainer.

I was going to buy a new car which needed to be shipped from another dealer and the quote from TDA was only supposed to be good for 7 days but they were willing to honor their quote of my car for over 2 weeks and during that time I drove a lot and put an additional 1K miles more on the car (they did not care). Got a check for my car in about 30 minutes.

Also when I was at TDA for them to check out my car they left me alone to wait around which I want while at Carmax they had this person trying to sell me car which I did not care for or had any intentions in doing.

I highly recommend TDA.

15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Also say TDA is a good option, but you're right on the tax savings for a new car.

One thing you could do, is show the dealer the TDA quote. They could match.

Also, keep in mind TDA will negotiate. I think I got like $700 more for my wife's car just by saying, "Hmm, well, I dont know." And they jumped up right away. A buddy who sold another car (and happened to buy one from them too) also got another couple of thousand out of them (he had a nicer newer car than me).