1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sell it to me on how we make the Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by AstrosRockets1818, Aug 9, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

New Texans' Theme Song

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Past playoff games, that featured Hoyer and Osweiler and such, under center, don't really have any relevancy to what happened last year.

Who said anything about bad luck? I said they had a bad day - and they did! Deshaun Watson posted a 103 QB rating last year. He completed 68% of his passes for an 8.2 YPA. He was really, really good. Would you agree *that* guy had a bad day (69.7 QBr; 58% completion; 4.8 YPA)?

I have 100% faith in Deshaun Watson; I believe in the guy & will roll with him against *anybody*... And he unfortunately had a bad day at the wrong time.

3. Hey Now!

Excuse? I mean... Deshaun Watson had a bad day. That feels much more like a statement of fact - unless you... do you disagree?... Did you think he had a.... good day?....

If the Deshaun Watson that was so good throughout the 2018 regular season had shown up that afternoon - you know, the one who completed nearly 70% of his passes at a clip of 8.2/attempt - do you think the outcome would've been the same? Maybe the ultimate outcome (won/loss) - but it certainly wouldn't have been such an ugly, lifeless loss.

4. Major

Major Member

Was that all on Watson? Or was it poor coaching, poor game planning, poor adjustments, etc? Because we've consistently seen that in every playoff game under this regime, regardless of QB. The playoff results last year were completely 100% predictable if you look at the full tenure of the BoB era. I think we had this discussion midseason where people were arguing that teams like KC were paper tigers/etc and that the Texans had as good a chance as anyone to make the AFC Championship. Despite their record and the fact that the Texans lost games close, I said as soon as the Texans played a real team in the playoffs, they'd lose comfortably by double-digits. It had a bit to do with the details in the results up to that point (playing backup QBs, etc), but was really about the bigger picture where BoB simply gets overmatched. He's not a good HC and he will continue to hold the team back.

This year, I don't expect them to make the playoffs due to actually having a decent schedule, but if they do, it will be the same result. And for the same reason.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I just cannot do it anymore.

Everyone knows why the Texans blew the bye and why they lost in the first round of the playoffs.

It has nothing to do with someone having a bad day at the office or anything else of that sort. It has to do with the quality of the organization, the quality of coaching and preparation and the quality of the players on the field and the reluctance to fix issues from the front office.

At the end of the day the organization is and has been mediocre with no real internal drive to be anything more than what they are..... they sell tickets and they avoid being horrendous and that is good enough for ownership.

TheRealist137, MadMax and YOLO like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Most people interpret a "bad day" as an instance of bad luck.

As in something outside of the norm. An anomaly. Something uncommon or rare.

What happened to with Texans at the end of the year was not that. It was entirely within the realm of expectation and part of an observable pattern.

7. Hey Now!

There've been 3 playoff games in BoB's tenure prior to last year - it's not like we have a large sample size here. And he's 1-2. I mean, the guy won a playoff game with Brock Osweiler as his starter and was within 8 of the eventual league champions, on the road, in the 4Q - also with Osweiler...

To answer your question... I don't know. I mean, BoB navigated Watson to 11 wins last year; I doubt anything drastically changed in the 7 days after the end of the regular season that would've caused Watson to drop from an exceptionally good QB to a surprisingly bad one....... And having watched the game - man, it sure looked like execution was at least *one* of the contributing factors and he routinely made poor decisions and left plays on the field.

I'm not here to defend the Texans, broadly. But the idea that fans could be *this* negative after an 11-5 season and with Watson, Hopkins, Watt, Clowney (assuming) + a host of other really good players.......

TheFreak likes this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Getting sht on in playoffs is a continuous pattern with the common denominator being Mediocre BoB.

Most Texans fans r happy and celebrate winning the AFC South. Then proceed to make a bunch of BS excuses on why we keep getting sht on by superior teams in the playoffs.

Regardless of the team makeup, it's all on the fking HC to at least get us prepared for battle and he continuously say the same sht while not taking real blame on the actual outcomes.

AFC South Division Champs means jack sht and the failure to dramatically improve our oline is going to get Watson hurt. (Colts took a dump on us last playoffs)

And don't even get me started on the lack of discipline/false starts we accumulated last year + the lack of GM.

Nook likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

A guy name Connor Cook has 1 nfl game played in his tenure and has yet to play again and that game happen to be a no other choice move for the raiders due to injury. not exactly impressive for the lone playoff win

Nook likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Deshaun Watson in the final six regular season games posted QB ratings of 130.9, 102.1, 99.3, 134.2, 114.5, 89.5... Altogether, he's started 23 NFL games and posted a sub-90 rating fives times; sub 70 just three times.

So, yeah - him posting a 69.7 in the wild card game was absolutely, positively "something outside of the norm. An anomaly. Something uncommon or rare"

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This is why Texans aren't even trying to improve at all cost b/c of fans like u that r just happy with a regular season outcome. Didn't u just earlier stated there's no correlation between regular season and playoffs?

Regular Season: AFC South Division Champs (whoopedoo fking doo)

Playoffs: We got fking destroyed by the Colts (division rival) and got a td in the 4th

End result: didn't even make it out of 1st round with all "dem good players"

Offseason: Drafted a bunch of "versatile, high potential players", didn't even bother spending all of our money for free agents and guess what no fking GM.

I can just imagine BoB defenders gonna say after this season, he was overwhelm as GM or some other bs excuses.

Nook and YOLO like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Could be playoff jitters, but there's no "correlation between regular season and playoffs". QB and HC are both to blame. BoB couldn't even get his offense together to score a point until 4th quarter with dem good players

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Bless your heart.

vinsensual, Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Hey Now!

The Texans, who just won 11 games *last season* - the second-best year in team history, record-wise, aren't trying to improve?...

No.

Backing down comments about an 11-win team not being interested in trying to improve id by no means an endorsement of BoB. While I don't think he's *as* bad as many fans, I also fully supported his firing after the 2017 season.

15. Hey Now!

Again, that's not what I said so please stop quoting/referencing it.

I'm trying to figure out how BoB could've/should've overcome his QB turning in one of his worst performances as an NFL QB....

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U seem to support the direction our mediocre franchise is heading under the leadership of BoB as GM/HC, but where do u see our "improved oline" rank this season?

We still have a ton of cap space so idk how we are improving at all cost, if money is still left over.

You seem to be really caught up with our regular season record "The Texans, who just won 11 games *last season* - the second-best year in team history, record-wise", but to us realists the end result is just the same.....

Getting our ass embarrassed, outcoached, outplayed once more by a superior team in playoffs. IF u gonna blame it on Watson (rookie qb) what about the other playoff games we been into? back-up qb excuse? If so who signed off on them being the qb of the team, that's right BoB.

Sure we look like a "competitor" with our record, but at the end of the day we will once more got exposed in playoffs as a mediocre franchise especially if we have BoB leading our team.

17. Hey Now!

Where and when did I say the oline has improved? You're quoting it so I must've said it - care to point me in that direction?...

Did somebody say this? I didn't,

Oh, you're a realist?... Cool.

They won 11 games. I'm not making that number up. It's not based on some complicated formula of ifs and buts...... You can chose to keep it real like a realist and dismiss it - I don't really care. But if a team wins 11 games...... it's a pretty good team.

I'm not oblivious to luck or schedule or regression. The idea of this thread is sell the idea this team can make the playoffs. Well, for me - it starts with them winning 11 games. If they'd won 6, it'd be a much, much tougher sell.

Let's take a closer look at BoB's playoff record prior to last year.... which, again, was all of 3 games.

I'd argue they acquitted themselves well against Oakland & New England given Brock Osweiler was their QB. Again, they trailed the Patriots - in New England - by just 8 in the 4Q. Were their asses "embarrassed, outcoached, outplayed" in that game?...

The Chiefs' game was a disaster. But does anybody remember the halftime score after Hoyer coughed it up *four* (4!) times against Kansas City? It was 13-0. He turned it over twice inside the Chiefs' 30-yard line, including the 3-yard line. Are we going to argue BoB was responsible for Hoyer's performance *as a coach* (I realize he's responsible as a GM, or whatever)? Or that he failed in his inability to overcome an historically bad playoff performance?.....

I'd argue his postseason track record was... OK. There certainly wasn't enough there - IMO - to know definitively that what happened against the Colts - with Watson - was a formality. I was - for what's it worth - relatively shocked at virtually everyone's performance, I did not expect them to be that bad.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U pointed out that our team is trying to improve right?

So let me ask u under BoB leadership at GM where do u think our Oline is going to rank at the end of this season? Cause from what i seen under the leadership of BoB our oline has went from solid to the shttiest one in the league.

I already know that we have star power at a lot of position, but do u honestly believed we tried that hard to improve the oline with all that money left over in cap space?

U can proudly pound your chest that we have a great record of 11 wins, but it didn't really matter it if we got our ass pounded by a 10-6 team in playoffs right? (we lost to that same team 3 times in one season) It wasn't the luck of the bounce or some random bs like luck, we thoroughly got outcoached, and outplayed.

There's a reason y u were relatively shocked because u can't see behind the star power and overall record is that we have a sht coach.
    Most coach aren't given as much leeway as BoB.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There's something fundamentally wrong about the way this organization is run. We've gone through periods of time where we had no idea which person (coach or GM) was making which decision. We sign a GM to a long term deal...only to dismiss him 1 year in so that we can hire a guy we can't hire. The decision making is suspect to say the least, and there seems, generally, to be a lack of accountability for virtually everything. It FEELS dysfunctional to me...though I'm certainly an outsider looking in.

20. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Im banking on our shrewd general manager making moves to get us to the Super Bowl!

fml.