1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis Resigns - Trump Went a Step Too Far

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think this deserves its own thread. The last "adult" in the room with Mr. trump has resigned. I think the tipping point for Secretary Mattis was the abrupt announcement, via a tweet, that the United States was immediately withdrawing from Syria. The announcement by trump gave Putin and Russia an enormous victory in Syria and the region. It dramatically increases the influence of Iran. It sells out the Kurds who fought by our side in Iraq and Syria to defeat the Islamic State. It does a heck of a lot more than that, but that's enough.

Mr. trump seems surprised by Mattis's announcement. He thinks he can do whatever he likes on a whim and it doesn't have consequences. In my opinion, trump is mentally ill and as the walls close in, he is losing it. That makes him a danger to the Republic, in my humble opinion. The stock market is tumbling. There is a trade war trump started that never should have begun that is having a negative effect on our economy and the economies of other nations. He pushed through a huge tax cut aimed squarely at the rich that is creating an enormous deficit and is driving inflation upward. He has consistently attacked our allies and friends while inexplicably embracing Putin and other undemocratic strong men, going out of his way to praise them. He took us out of the Paris Agreement, putting us at odds with the overwhelming majority of the other nations of the world.

I could go on. The list is absurdly long, but I'll get back to why I started the thread. Mattis was the one figure in the administration preventing trump from doing something crazy with the country's military. Mr. trump has proven himself capable of anything, at any time, and he has the power to be a clear and present danger to our country. With Mattis gone, what is to stop him? Mattis was and is deeply respected by our military, from the leadership down through the ranks. If trump decided tomorrow to start a war with, say, North Korea, Mattis would have done everything in his power to prevent it. Now he will likely be replaced with a trump sycophant, willing to do whatever trump asks, no matter how mad it might be. We should all be very worried. I know I am.

#1 Deckard, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Agreed. This wasn’t just another departure. This is the one that freaks me the F out.

RayRay10, Deckard and justtxyank like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It isnt crazy to withdraw from Syria

We shouldn't be there and no one cares about Russia being there

What does Russia being in Syria have to do with us?

ipaman and MiddleMan like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’ve always tried to be respectful to you in the past despite our disagreements but...

Holy crap you are an idiot

7. adoo

adoo Member

i had expected that Mattis would resign when Trump pulled that political stunt, before the Nov mid-term election,
    of sending 5,000 US military personnel to the Southern border to defend the fake invasion of the Caravan

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why should we be in Syria *******?

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Mattis ignored that because while he certainly disagreed, in my opinion, it wasn't something that had a major impact beyond the Mexican border and the military men and women who had their Thanksgiving ruined. The abrupt decision to unilaterally withdraw from Syria without consulting our allies or the Pentagon, putting the entire region at risk of expanded Iranian and Russian influence, while betraying our allies, the Kurds, was simply a step too far for Mattis.

It is a colossal mistake by trump. Putin has to be dancing around the Kremlin with glee. The Mullahs in Iran can't believe their good fortune. In other words, our allies are dismayed and angry, while our enemies are delighted with the news.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Trump notified him in April of this year that he wanted to pull out troops. Seven months later we’re expected to believe Mattis is reacting to the “abrupt” notice?

W made a long drawn out effort to promote the Iraq invasion starting in 2002. It didn’t make the war any more just or well thought out.

MiddleMan likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Trump is a total d******d. The betrayal of the Kurds in favour of IS ally Erdogan is despicable.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm not going to pretend to know whether this is the right time to pull out of Syria or not. But, when Trump's own advisors and military leaders are against it, while Putin is in favor of it. Well, it just makes you wonder.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The problem is this a civil war. There are no good sides. Assad might be a bad guy, but you have a bunch of other bad guys too. I think the military advisors don't seem to understand these are unwinnable wars. There are just going to be losers.

MiddleMan likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

So we don't make the same mistake we made when we pulled out of Iraq, you know the rise of Isis.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

Why don't you factor in the rise of Isis.

The troops have done little to engage with the civil war factions.

you have no clue why those troops are in Syria do you?

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

You cannot possibly be that stupid.

17. Air Langhi

Really I don't know why the troops are there. I just know 2000 years of history and there is no route to victory. Its just going to billions of dollars spent on an endless war. Let Saudi or Iran or Turkey or Russia or Europe worry about ISIS.

18. Air Langhi

We could have just left Saddam there. Probably wouldn't be an ISIS. Most of ISIS leadership is Ex Iraqi army.

#18 Air Langhi, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    MiddleMan likes this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

as usual ur being intellectually dishonest.

back in April, all of Trump's military advisors, CIA and Sec of State convinced Trump that it was a bad idea.

if u had read Mattis's "FU, I quit" letter to the dotard, he
    • refers to his core belief that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships.
    • abhors Trump making enemies of our allies and allies of our enemies

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We only have about 2300 troops on the ground in Syria. That's it and it's a pittance. They serve an important role in defeating the Islamic State, which isn't defeated, not yet. There are an estimated 14,000 fighters still active. They've been on the run. Now they'll regroup and continue their madness down the road. The Turks are planning to slaughter our allies, the Kurds, who have been key to defeating ISIS and are still fighting against them. Our presence prevents the Turks, the Syrians, Iran, and Russia from attacking them. We're in the way and it makes a difference.

AroundTheWorld and biff17 like this.