1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seahawks interested in Duane Brown?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's what we thought about Ed Reed too. Now sure, Duane Brown might not be as washed up as Reed was, but given that he's over the hill and doesn't give a damn about football anymore.....and I think it's fair to suggest that based on his actions....you can't just assume that he'd be the player he once was even if you completely bent over backwards to get him on the field.

Also, it wouldn't be crazy if he was essentially done now. No one thinks it's ridiculous that Mario Williams is done and he's the same age as Duane Brown. Both players essentially don't give a damn about football.....and one of them has a history of PED's

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think their is some reality to him not "loving" football as much as some of the guys out there. He is a businessman off the field and there is a strong possibility his business brain may be more at work here than anything.

3. csj

csj Member

I don't think there's any call for idle speculation such as Brown not caring about football anymore. Maybe, maybe not but that's not at issue. Brown should pay for this, but that's not a reason to make it personal.

Brown clearly wants the biggest possible, new, guaranteed contract he can get and figured he could leverage the team's current talent shortage to get undeserved money. Furthermore, his agent is paid to advise him in this way. I'm proud of the team for not giving in to the blackmail. I'd rather cheer for guys worthy of respect even if the play is not what the team earned by treating Brown well to this point.

ipaman likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you could argue cush helped the team by getting caught. cole might have not emerged like he did.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So you would rather the owner pocket the money rather than pay the player? Its all about the team except the team won't hesitate a second from cutting his ass. McNair despite being a billionaire is subsidized by the city of Houston.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If anything, Brown is already overpaid so yes, I would rather the owner pocket the money as opposed to paying Brown more and guaranteeing more seasons of overpaying him. It's funny how fans will complain about guys on bad contracts like Cushing and then actively pull for giving out worse contracts.

Right now Duane Brown has the 3rd largest cap hit on the team behind only Nuk and Watt....that's absolutely ridiculous. This off-season the 10 mil the team can free up by cutting Brown is worth more than he is and that's why the team absolutely cannot give in to his ridiculous demands.

8. csj

csj Member

Yes, of course I would, because the owner having money does not make him the enemy and does not make Brown entitled. This is a simple issue and you should be embarassed by the crass comment you just made. Grow up, owners aren't evil simply because they are billionaires and this has literally nothing to do with the owner anyway. The NFL doesn't exist so that athletes can take money from the rich, it exists to provide entertainment for fans. Brown is screwing the fans, anyone who supports him here is grossly misguided.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Worth more to hold onto him until he's a free agent so you can get a compensation pick when he signs with another team. If he wants to hold out for another 8 games next year you can save more money that way.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that. I think you take the cap savings and cut him. I don't think you'll get much of a comp pick for him because he's not a top tier player anymore. Given the state of the team, there's plenty of holes to fill so it's better to be active in FA and use that money now rather than hoping to get a 5th round comp pick for Brown eventually.

With the rise of Watson and the Texans offense, they could be in "win now" mode sooner rather than later.

11. tmacfor35

The Duane brown watch starts this morning.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bobby, it's weird that you are now saying he's not good and overpaid. That seems irrational. He was still good last year. He's not the top 5 left tackle in the game that so many Texans fans think he is, but he's still good and easily the best option we'll have at LT for the next 2 years. I've got no problem playing him this year when he reports. He won't be overpaid. And if they want to be hardline with him and bring him back next year I'm cool with that too.

13. tmacfor35

Duane is back!!!!

14. conquistador#11

omg, he is back. Lisa P is back! I mean duane brown.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Brown for Martavis Bryant. Get all the Clemson boys back together.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

So he can demand the ball more here too?

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm saying that he's over the hill and overpaid. He was still pretty good last year, but his days of being an elite LT are over.....but he's still paid like one. When players stop caring about the game, their play tends to fall off, especially when they are over the hill like Duane Brown so I was completely against extending his contract because I'm not sure he'll be any good a few years from now. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a player who is getting paid based on what he used to be that is in rapid decline. IMO that's what could have happened if the Texans caved to his demands.

19. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Never fault a wide out that wants the ball more especially if he will catch it. Plus Bryant would give Deshaun a
    big and fast wide out target 6-4. Imagine D-Hop, Bryant and Fuller.

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He obviously wants to be a no. 1 receiver. What don’t you understand?