1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola as an Elite PF. At least he's been one for a 28 games span.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Apr 13, 2010.

1. vince

vince Member

Scola has been playing elite level PF for the past 28 games. Well at least ever since the Carl Landry Trade.

He is averaging 19.29 points per game, 9.18 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game. Plus he is averaging 36 minutes and 46 seconds.

Compare his numbers to Yao Mings last year of 19.7 points per game, 9.9 rebounds, and 1.8 assist per game. While averaging 33 minutes and 36 seconds.

Scola has had a couple of bad games in that span, but I think it's natural for him getting the type of work load he's been getting. In those 28 games he's only had 3 sub double digit scoring games. One game he scored a goose egg, but he only played 15 minutes and I think he got injured that game.

Yao / Hill
    Scola / Hayes
    Ariza / Battier
    Martin / Budinger
    Brooks / Lowry

As it is, the team looks deep!! And this is without the draft. Man the team is going to be fun to watch next season.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

No way he'll replicate those numbers again with Yao back in the starting lineup BUT it's comforting to know that Luis got to finally show the league what he can do when he's a 1st or 2nd option on an NBA team.

3. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

this team is not deep. hill is a pf, and we need a legit center to backup yao; hayes is a liability on offense, i wouuld rather replace him with hayes

4. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

i mean replace hayes with jeffries

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

The more and more I think about it and watching Scola's game, I don't see Bosh as a significant upgrade.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Same, I'd rather upgrade the wing position, it seems silly to go after a PF when we got Luis sitting right here

I am pretty excited about a team next season with 4 guys in the starting lineup (Yao, Scola, Martin, Brooks) all capable up putting up 20 ppg every single night.

Yao/Hill
    Scola/Hayes
    Battier/Ariza
    Martin/Budinger
    Brooks/Lowry

A strong starting lineup and then the subs can come in, Hill, Ariza, and Chase can run with Lowry. I like the depth all-around. Thats a team 10 deep with guys like Jeffries and Andersen who can come in for situational minutes

7. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Scola is a heck of a player,I wouldn't be sad at all if he was our starting PF next year

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

What's considered "elite"? If you just go by the numbers, then Brooks is elite. And Martin's elite. Yet with 3 elite players, the Rockets are a .500 team.

It's ironic that after years of ragging on GS/Phoenix/Denver for having players with inflated stats, Rockets fans are now turning a blind eye to our own inflated stats.

Yao's 20/10 > Scola's 20/9. Yao is elite when healthy. Scola is a great but not elite PF.

9. vince

vince Member

Yeah, it's really comforting to know that if needed Scola can put up some number if called on.

What this means is that Scola, Martin, Brooks, Ariza, Lowry, and Budinger are all true offensive threats on the NBA floor.

If NBA teams average 100 points, and there are 4 or 5 guys on the floor who have proven to be offensive NBA threats, it's good to know teams can't collapse on Yao Ming a lot.

I'm just thinking of Yao passing it out to Martin, Ariza, Budinger, or Brooks for those wide open three pointers!!!! Or Scola weaving and shifting his way to a crafty layup on the weak side on a one on one.

Honestly, I don't even think the Rockets need to make any sort of a trade. But, it's up to Morey.

10. RocketMania1991

Scola is good, but i'd take Bosh in a heartbeat.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Potentially IMO...

Yao is a 15-9 player
    Scola is a 15-10 player
    Ariza is a 15-5-5 player
    Martin is a 24-2-2 player
    Brooks is a 18-6 player

You need to upgrade somewhere but it doesn't have to be a huge upgrade. Camby and Udoh would be some nice additions to the bench.

Camby is a 8-10-2 player
    Hill is a 10-8-2 player
    Battier is a 8-5-5 player
    Bud is a 12-3-3 player
    Lowry is a 6-4-5 player

Throw in Jeffries, Hayes and Udoh....

#11 rockets934life, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yao's 20 points and ten rebounds are not, themselves, more valuable than Scola's. They just don't tell the whole story.

A huge portion of Yao's value is his efficiency (better than Scola) and his inside presence on defense (MUCH better than Scola). Those things aren't shown in points and rebounds.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Miller over Budinger? Why?

Chase is better, younger, and more athletic then him now.....

DD

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I must disagree. Yao's 20/10 ARE more valuable than Scola's. For the same reason why I always valued prime-Duncan's 20/10s more than any player ahead of him in the ppg count. They are both more valuable because their teams played a SLOW PACE. 20 points is more valuable when you score 90, then when you score 110.

I agree.

15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I agree, there is no need to shed the advantage of having a deep team to essentially add one piece. However, I think we do need an insurance policy for Yao, someone who can clog up the middle and play some D. Not too easy to find players like that, but one player I really think will fit well is Tyson Chandler.

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

You right DD, forgot about Bud...Sorry ;)

17. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

That's totally right. Teams also aren't as afraid to give Scola single coverage as they are Yao, if you single cover Yao without fronting and scheming for him, he'll score at will (pre-injury of course). I love Scola though.

18. choujie

choujie Member

Slower pace is one, the defensive attention they draw is another. Yao would never get so many open looks like Scola.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's gotta be tough for Morey going into this summer, trying to figure out if and where to try to upgrade. It's a good problem to have, though. I know he doesn't get attached to players, but with the way AB and Scola have flourished the last couple of months and Ariza looking solid next to Martin, it's tough to pull the trigger on trading any of them.

I think ultimately Scola has the most trade value to package with the NY picks and Battier/Jeffries if we do anything. There are too many good PG's in the league, diluting the demand for AB. You gotta figure something is going to be done though, or perhaps we'll just send our lottery pick to the d-league and see what happens up until the deadline.

20. vince

vince Member

I agree, Morey is going to have his job cut out for him. I think Scola and Yao will compliment each other a lot. One is a scrapper the other a post up guy. I really hope that Yao/Scola are given at least one year to show what they can do.

I know Chris Bosh has been brougth up a lot. It would be nice to pair Bosh with Yao, but we'll see what happens. Right now I'm happy with Yao/Scola.