1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I agree to an extent, but my main issue is this:

"To try to go and defend what they do in a week is really hard," Sam Houston State coach K.C. Keeler said. "We see a totally different brand of football and we obviously have to get up to speed in terms of how they play. Defensively, they don't miss tackles. They have some great players on defense. They run to the ball and don't make mistakes."

By saying that, he's basically saying that they prepare for the Southland and that's "good enough" and then try to get ready for NDSU. They should be trying from now until the season ends next year to figure out a way to win a championship. You know who you have to go through, try to be better than them.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree with one caveat. I'd prefer to win 56-14 than 20-14. They, as a coaching staff and athletic department, have to realize there's something holding them back. Keeler is a good head coach and there's no reason to fire a guy that's done nothing other than have us in a position to go far in the playoffs year after year. But they have to fix the gaping hole that is the defense. It's going to take a new outlook and focus on that side of the ball. With Keeler, the offense will be there. They need to get a new defensive staff if we want to get over the mountain that is NDSU.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agree with this. "What they do" really isn't that difficult to prepare for, at least not when it comes to x's and o's. They play physical and run the ball. On defense....they play physical.

I feel like we're a finesse team. Like Texas Tech when Leach was there. If a team comes out and punches us in the mouth, we totally cave.

Again, not wanting to fire a guy who consistently gets us to the playoffs every year....I just think the philosophy needs to change. I'm not sure how you do that though.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Marshall: Sources tell FootballScoop that Sam Houston State offensive coordinator Tim Cramsey is expected to be the new offensive coordinator at Marshall, pending final clearances.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I suppose this is the price of success. Obviously, there wasn't a huge drop-off from Longo to Cramsey, so perhaps there won't be this time around either, but then again, this new OC won't have Jeremiah Briscoe to work with.

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

7. leroy

I think there was a draft prediction that had the Texans taking him in the 3rd. While I doubt that'll happen, I think he'd be a perfect fit as DL depth and insurance in case JJ goes down again.

K LoLo likes this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

Who's ready for another 9-2 regular season and a humiliating blowout loss to a far superior team in the playoffs? :)

EAT EM UP KATS

Uprising likes this.
  9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The biggest game of the year comes early. Most feel like the conference is a two-horse race between SHSU and Nicholls, and that's the third game of the season. And then if they get past Nicholls, they have a potential letdown game the next week against Central Arkansas, which is expected to finish near the top of the conference again.

The SFA game immediately follows, but after that, the schedule is Charmin soft, which means the back-half of the season will be all about avoiding land mines.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  10. leroy

Sitting 4th in the FCS Coaches Poll. If we get through the first 5 weeks unscathed, it should be another undefeated regular season and seeded bid in the playoffs. McNeese (the other ranked SLC team) avoids us this year.

Then on to a 61-7 loss in the Semis!

FYI...PJ Hall is going to be a significant contributor for Oakland this year. Looks like he's either starting or 2nd on the defensive line. They're loving him out there so far.

#750 leroy, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  11. leroy

vs PV A&M today at 6pm. Game will be on ESPN+

Crazy that this will already be PV's 3rd game and just our first.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

PV's not going to be a cakewalk by any stretch.

They nearly knocked off Rice in their opener, and they're coming off of a 40-24 win over NC Central. They'll also have a bit of an advantage in that they've already played two games and their offense looks fairly dangerous, which is always a bit frightening when the Bearkat defense has often left something to be desired.

13. leroy

VS North Dakota (University of...not State) today at 6.

Way too difficult of a win last week. Looking like the same ol' defensive issues this season. I realize PV isn't that terrible and they had 2 games under their belt but that shouldn't be that challenging for us. We did stay at #4 in the Coaches Poll.

14. leroy

Ship is righted somewhat. Winning against Central Arkansas hasn't been easy no matter the location. Back to 2-2. Still, we're going to have to win the conference to get in. That loss to a mediocre ND team at home was not good. The toughest part of the schedule is done, though. NW might be tough but there's no reason we shouldn't win out.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I know this SFA team isn't particularly good, but I figured with SHSU clearly being a step behind where they usually are, this might be the year the Lumberjacks break through. With the Bearkats leading 54-14 in the 3rd, clearly I was wrong.

At this point, every SLC win is huge, because I'm with you leroy, I think they have to win the league to get into the playoffs. The conference just isn't good enough from top to bottom for an at-large bid to be in play, barring chaos elsewhere.

16. leroy

There was some chaos yesterday, too. James Madison lost to Elon which could throw the CAA into a bit of a mess. That could be an at-large bid that is not available should they remain in the top 10 and don't win.

17. ima_drummer2k

8 in a row now. Sounds weird, but I almost think sfa needs to win one of these games to pump some much needed life back into this "rivalry." It's just not as fun as it could be when one team just totally owns the other.

I don't think sfa is even trying in football anymore. Are they just content to be a basketball only school?

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I totally agree about SFA needing to be more competitive for the overall health of the rivalry being played at NRG. The SFA turnout for the game started several years back as their program struggled, but it's really started to taper off for SHSU lately as well. Granted, I haven't lived in the Houston area for the last couple of years, but even before that, it just didn't feel like there was as much buzz around the game.

I don't think their program is as bad as losing eight games in a row to a rival would make it seem. They made the playoffs as recently as 2014 and four years before that, they had just come off of making the playoffs in back-to-back seasons. That might not sound like much because SHSU has been spoiled with the recent run of success, but there are dozens of FCS programs out there that would love to have that kind of recent track record. Then, they got dealt a tough blow with the Conque situation before this season, which was always going to make this season, barring something unexpected, a lost season.

#758 jdh008, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  19. leroy

Outside of what appears to be a crazy 2nd quarter, a good road win against NW to stay in the race. Just need McNeese to lose a game.

20. leroy

Anyone catch the SHSU football commercial run during the Astros game? I’m watching via Amazon fire stick.

Never seen a SHSU commercial before not during a football game.