1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Kind of a lucky break, in a way. Kennesaw beat Jacksonville St who completely destroyed us last year. I'm sure Kennesaw is a very good team but at least we get them at home. Hopefully there will be a decent crowd.

Win and we're likely looking at yet another visit to Fargo.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Absolutely a lucky break, not just to avoid JSU, but also to draw a team with a run-based offense. SHSU's pass defense realllllly doesn't inspire confidence.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We're basically an arena football team. First team to 50 wins.

Should be very interesting seeing how our defense handles the triple-option. I don't recall ever playing an option team in the Keeler era. Or any era since the Randleman era, actually.

They are going to try and play keep-away from our offense, so we really can't let them have any 10 minute scoring drives. And we can't have any 3-and-outs on offense or else we're sunk.

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Interest to watch this game. Unfortunately, I'll be at a wedding in the boonies (Dobbin, TX). So, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to stream it on my phone, but I'll be trying.

I'd look forward to another game in Fargo. Although we'd obviously be the underdogs, and I wouldn't have any thoughts of us winning, I'd love for them to at least show up at that game. Indoor environment for JB to toss the rock around. It seems like it'll be chilly that day, but hopefully not below 50 or so for game time.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Up 14-7 and driving again early in the 2nd.

Offensive three and out followed by a touchdown allowed wasn't a great start, but since then, SHSU's speed has just honestly taken over. KSU's option attack hasn't found much space and they're struggling with all of the weapons the Bearkats have on the perimeter.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

34-27 SHSU win.

They'll take on NDSU on Friday night.

I actually like this matchup more than in past years. I don't think this Sam team is better than the Bell/Flanders teams, but I think they're better equipped to take advantage of the indoor conditions at the FargoDome and an NDSU team that's typically built to run the ball and stop the run.

7. leroy

That was a tough win. Kennesaw St. is a good team. Still, that pass defense, though. It was obvious passing situations and they were only targeting 1 receiver. Why wasn't he double teamed? They never brought the safety over to help. Luckily, Kennesaw just isn't set up to be able to score a lot of points quickly. NDSU, on the other hand...

Very happy to be back in the semi's. I figured it would have to take some luck in the brackets to get back and that's what we got. They are going to have to figure out how to play any measure of pass defense or it will be 0-4 against NDSU.

I'm not sure if this team is or isn't better than the Bell/Flanders years. I think Briscoe is much better than Bell was but Flanders is one of the best FCS running backs of all time. I think this team, offensively, is deeper and has more options. That team was better defensively. They got the lead and didn't let you have even a glimmer of hope. This team gets too soft in the 2nd half, likely due to a lack of depth on defense. There's only so much PJ Hall can do.

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

If they actually manage to get a little lead in this game, I'm hoping they don't do the typical "let them back within a TD in the 4th quarter" routine, because NDSU won't let up.

They'll have to score early, and then hope they can get to the QB to see if they can get him off of his game. In their last game, NDSU looked invincible.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm so tired of losing to NDSU - man I hope the Kats win this..even if they lose the next game I'd be happy just to have this win

10. ima_drummer2k

We're probably going to get killed, but hey....that's why they play the game, right? Any given....Friday....

I'll definitely be watching and flying my Bearkat flag high!

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

If the Kats lose tonight or even in the national title game, I'm certainly not looking forward to the (very) vocal minority calling for Keeler to be fired because they feel like anything short of a national title is a disappointment.

Is it disappointing that SHSU is a perennial playoff team but has never won the national title? Sure, but as good as the program is now and as attractive as the job might be to potential head coaches, the chances that the next head coach is worse are far better than the chances that the next head coach is the one with the skills and vision guaranteed to make the program the 10% better that it needs to be in order to win that elusive title.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

At the risk of being alarmist, as the first quarter comes to a close, it looks like it's going to be a long night for the Bearkats. They've just done nothing to even slow down the NDSU offense.

13. leroy

Well that escalated quickly. 41-3 and it’s not even halftime. Guess we kind of saw this coming...just hoped they’d put up more of a fight.

14. leroy

Especially when you have a guy who’s professed his love for the FCS and doesn’t have illusions of grandeur. Just hope he finds a better defensive coordinator.

When you think about this season, they weren’t really that good. Way too many close games against bad teams. But here they are, again...in the national semifinals. Keeler is a good coach who just needs some help on the defensive side.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

North Dakota State should be charged for assault and battery after that beat down.

16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'd be more OK with this, if they weren't getting blown out in their losses.

However, SDSU got blown out as well, so that makes me feel a little better. I'm just hoping he can build a better defense. They're losing Briscoe too, so it'll be interesting to see how they keep everything going.

17. leroy

Add to that Yedi Louis and PJ Hall. Corey Avery is also a SR but we seemed to always be stacked at RB.

I wonder if any of those 3 are pro prospects. I have to imagine PJ Hall gets drafted. I'd be willing to bet Louis gets a chance in someone's camp. One site lists Briscoe as a projected 6th rounder.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The predicted vilifying of K.C. Keller has happened, and it drives me nuts. I get that it's frustrating to keep losing in blowout fashion, but I think some of what we're seeing is similar to what we saw in tennis with Roger Federer.

If they are born five years earlier, Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt are probably all-time greats. But instead, the second half of their primes coincided with the prime of Roger Federer, who is the best to ever do it, so they aren't remembered quite as fondly.

In this example, in the last half-decade, precisely one (one!) team has been able to best NDSU, and that's James Madison. Other than that, the Bison have absolutely laid waste to everyone else in FCS. At another period of time in recent history, SHSU probably has at least one national title, but they just happened to get really good at the time NDSU peaked as a program.

The fact of the matter is that the Bearkats have been as good as any program in the country not named North Dakota State over the last five or six years. Sure, that hasn't led to any national championships, but this is a team that is annually one of the last four or eight teams standing, and to equate that with mediocrity and to think that it means the program should go in another direction is ludicrous. College football is littered with examples of programs who assumed that the current level of success was the new baseline and that it could simply replace the coach and expect to go nowhere but up, only to find out that it wasn't that easy.

leroy likes this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

I'm not ready to fire Keeler, but the continued lack of emphasis on defense year after year is VERY frustrating. We seem to be okay with beating below-average teams 56-35 every Saturday and then just hoping for the best against the better teams.

I just wish this team was more balanced. I'll take a 20-14 win any day over a 63-45 win.

Let's face it...had Kennesaw St not upset Jacksonville St the week before, we'd have just gotten blown out in the quarterfinals instead of the semifinals. You're never going to get over the hump unless you have at least a decent defense. A decent defense doesn't give up 31 points to Prairie View or 36 points to NW State or 35 to Abilene Christian or 33 to HBU.

I forgot the point I was trying to make....there's clearly something wrong with our defensive scheme. Too many big plays. And the offense doesn't help by always trying to score as quickly as possible instead of helping out the defense by eating up some clock and keeping the other offense off the field.

leroy likes this.
  20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I can certainly agree with you here. Defense is clearly an issue, and work needs to be done to correct it, whether it's a change in coordinator, key position coaches, a change in scheme, or anything else really. No stone should be unturned.

The baby just shouldn't be thrown out with the bathwater here, as I've seen others (not on this board, mind you) suggest.