1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I may be overreacting to the game, but I gotta tell ya.......I wouldn't exactly be jumping off a cliff if he left. It would depend on his replacement, of course, but it may end up being a blessing in disguise to get a coach who actually cares about defense.

2. Buck Turgidson

I ****ing hate the prevalence of the Hal Mumme bullshit spread offense in Texas HS football, and it naturally bleeds over into college ball.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I agree with this. Weird that Keeler doesn't worry about defense, considering he was a linebacker.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. ima_drummer2k

Whatevs. Enjoy throwing long bombs on 3rd and 1, Ole Miss.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Jeremiah Briscoe wins the Walter Payton Award

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  7. ima_drummer2k

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

9. leroy

Coming into the season ranked either #3 or #4, depending on which rankings you go by. Keeler has done a great job building the depth but this is the team that will be closest to the 2012 Tim Flanders-led team. Many seniors in the skill positions. I'm excited to see what PJ Hall does on the the defensive line. I think he has the ability to be a 2nd day pick next season.

It's going to be another fun season. Central Ark is the only other preseason ranked Southland team. We get them much earlier this season than normal (@UCA on 9/30). We finish with games against Incarnate Word, Abilene, and HBU...which could certainly hurt our SOS and playoff seeding. We should be undefeated heading into the playoffs, regardless.

Game 1 is 11 days from now vs #7 Richmond at home. Considering the rest of the schedule, this is a must win.

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

For those that don't know, the 8/27 Richmond game is on ESPNU. Then the game against PVA&M (9/7) is also supposed to be on ESPNU). Hopefully we show up well against Richmond and UCA later in September.

11. ima_drummer2k

Wonder what the status is for the game weather-wise. Seems like every time we get a big game at home, there's some kind of weather event that causes the stadium to be totally empty.

Now everyone in the country will get to see the game on ESPNU being played in an empty stadium which will really help our image and be really great for recruiting!

12. leroy

Unsurprisingly, the game is postponed. They're working on a date but not a lot matches up schedule wise.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArtic...45&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211663951&DB_OEM_ID=19900

HUNTSVILLE - As the remnants of Hurricane Harvey continue to pound Houston and the surrounding areas, including Huntsville, Sam Houston and Richmond officials have decided to move the game to McLane Stadium in Waco. The game will take place Friday at 6 p.m. at the home of the Baylor Bears.

The game was originally scheduled for Aug. 31 at Bowers Stadium and was then moved to Aug. 27 for a national television game on ESPNU. Broadcast coverage for the game is still developing and will be released once that is finalized.

"First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by the floods,” Walsh said. “We want to thank the Sam Houston State staff for working together to find a solution. We’re excited about the opportunity to start our season against one of the top teams in the country and we hope that this provides a little relief in the middle of a difficult time in the state of Texas.”

The Baylor Bears are set to open their season at home on Saturday against Liberty. Despite the short turnaround, Baylor officials have agreed to open the stadium and admission will be free of charge to any fans wishing to attend the game.

“I want to give a thanks to Baylor Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades, and everyone at Baylor for their help in making this game happen,” Williams said. “It has taken a true team effort from a lot of different people to be able to keep one of the premier FCS games this season on the schedule.”

Any Sam Houston fans who have already purchased tickets can contact the Sam Houston ticket office at 936-294-1729 for more information about their tickets.​

leroy likes this.
  14. leroy

It was a sloppy but solid win. Still going to give up some points. This was likely the biggest challenge of the regular season outside of Central Ark. Going to have to go undefeated to get a seed.

15. ima_drummer2k

Good win. That game went about how I expected it to go. I predicted a 56-45 win.

Here are my predictions for the rest of the season:

Richmond Won 48-34
    @Prairie View Win 56-45
    Nicholls St. Win 56-45
    @Cent. Arkansas Win 56-45
    @S.F. Austin Win 56-45
    Northwestern St. Win 56-45
    Lamar Win 56-45
    @SE Louisiana Win 56-45
    Incarnate Word Win 56-45
    @Abil Chr. Win 56-45
    Houston Baptist Win 56-45

1st Playoff opponent Win 56-45
    @ 2nd Playoff opponent Loss 10-63

16. leroy

Stayed at #3 in the relevant polls. James Madison tightened their grip on #1 with a win over East Carolina. NDSU is #2.

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Pretty close win of PV A&M. Hopefully the defense can get it together. But I won't hold my breath. Perhaps the short week and Hurricane Harvey fatigue was on them.

18. leroy

Yeah...it's going to be interesting. From what little I watched, PVAMU wasn't doing anything exotic. Just running through large holes combined with piss poor tackling.

I have to imagine the short week and crazy schedule of the last couple of weeks isn't helping...but they need to get their s*** together defensively.

I saw Yeddi Lewis limp off at one point in the first half. Haven't seen any reports on if it was anything serious.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Wasn't able to make it down to Houston for this year's BOTPW, but watching on ESPN3.

Is the attendance as poor as it looks on TV? I wonder if the combination of the 1 PM start time and the assumption that this wouldn't be a competitive game kept folks away.

As a Sam Houston alum, I've clearly enjoyed the Bearkats' dominance in this series, but it feels like the one-sidedness has sapped some of the buzz out of this game. Although I suppose the novelty having worn off of having the game at NRG could also have something to do with it.

I just remember some of the early NRG editions of this series being electric. The year SFA won the game (I call it the Jeremy Moses year) had a pretty good atmosphere and the Flanders Flip game was bonkers.

Uprising likes this.
  20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yeah. A lot having to do with the state of my jacks...